How long is too long for a contract ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Posted an article last night, but it hasn't shown up yet

Terry Campese has signed an extension with the Raiders, that has him there until the end of the 2015 season !!! Another 6 years, that is far too long imo, the risk to the Raiders with that length of contract is huge

I must congratulate Campese and his team though, they are set up for life now, regardless of serious injury or not, he is still paid top money for another 6 years

Two years with a one year extension afforded to the club, not the player.  I wonder what sort of money he's on?  Why not test the market every couple of years?  Maybe he doesn't see his game getting any better.  Or maybe he just likes living out of town.  Or maybe the money's just huuuuge.   

I heard that they offered him 350k earlier in the year, and he regarded that as an insult, so it would be 400K + I would guess

I'd imagine it'd be loaded with performance related clauses and also a get out clause for both parties.

All it does is give Canberra the opportunity to retain him for 6 years if he continues to play well. If his form drops off or he gets a serious injury they'll be able to cut him, don't worry about that.

Chip & Chase link said:
I'd imagine it'd be loaded with performance related clauses and also a get out clause for both parties.

All it does is give Canberra the opportunity to retain him for 6 years if he continues to play well. If his form drops off or he gets a serious injury they'll be able to cut him, don't worry about that.

Both parties would be insane not to have get out clauses for a contract for that length of time.

I can't agree with contracts this long. It has potential to be damaging for both player and club.

What happens to Campo next year if Gallop decides to raise the salary cap to 6 million or something? (Not going to happen in the current climate, but just hypothetically).

Then he is "stuck" on 400k, while lesser players will be asking for 600-700 under a higher salary cap.

The concerns for the club are obvious. One torn ACL and a six year contract will seem foolish. And even without that, five years is a helluva long time in footy. Remember when Brent Sherwin was arguably the best NRL halfback alongside Joey Johns? For like six months? And he had the best short kicking game in the NRL which gifted Hazem about 40 tries? And the Dogs signed him to a whopping five year deal? Remember that??

Two years later Sherwin was washed up, and they'd lost Thurston as a result.

Contracts of this length are fraught with danger. Although, I suppose the flipside of this all is that contracts aren't worth sh*t these days. If you want out, you'll find a way to get out. And if the club wants you out, then start packing your bags because you'll probably end up in England.

Silly idea offering contracts this long, Prince signed a similar deal not long ago, Titans better hope he doesn't decline with age.

3 years is enough for a contract.

The 4 year deal injury prone Rodney got from us is the most surprising contract I have heard of recently, Des must have had a crush on him.

SilentBob link said:
Silly idea offering contracts this long, Prince signed a similar deal not long ago, Titans better hope he doesn't decline with age.

3 years is enough for a contract.

The 4 year deal injury prone Rodney got from us is the most surprising contract I have heard of recently, Des must have had a crush on him.

I think Des has a bigger crush on Orford.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8