How ironic

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
Poor little Jamie Coward complaining about losing time when the 'Riff deliberately wasted time after building up a big lead in the second half.
The NRL has big issues with (a) too many penalties and (b) deliberate time wasting.
Oh, how I long for the days of Bill Harrigan and low penalty counts. How many did we see yesterday? It must have been close to 20. And then there is all the down-time when players dawdle to a scrum, the goal kicks, when the ball goes out of play, or when the ref gets involved in committee meetings with the captains. I reckon we are only seeing about 55 minutes of football these days.
There is a very simple solution to this:
(a) return to one ref and instruct them to let the game flow, wherever possible. If a minor infringement - such as a player having his hand on the ball - doesn't impede the flow then let it go. Of course, if it causes a disruption then it's a penalty. There are far too many minor penalties these days, and we all know that penalties lead to tries. Also bring in a five-minute sin-bin which can be used for deliberate infringers.
(b) Time off when the ball is not in play. Some critics claim this will lead to matches lasting for 100 minutes. If that's deemed too long, then reduce the match to 70 minutes; 70 minutes of actual football is 20% more than we are currently getting.

True, I said the very same thing when they were actively dawdling after scoring 'hope it comes back to bite them' and it did :cool:

Letting a 16 point lead go is why they lost. Even in the last set, JSL and Killer threw 2 passes that went to ground. So Penriff could have killed Tommy Two Tries heroics if they tried :sleepy:

If you instruct refs to not penalise certain indiscresions then coaches will intruct players to commit said indiscresions.

What we need to a rugby style short arm penalty and bring back the 5 minute sin bin.

If you had 10 genuine (stop line up the kick down field) penalties and 10 short arm (tap & 6 again) penalties a match it would speed things up a bit.

I'm with the who.......Time off when ball not in Play....Us as fans getting ripped off, the game would not take that much longer,and no BS time wasting.

We pay to see Football ,not someone lining up a kick,or arguing with ref,or someone prancing around in goal before dropout,OUT OF PLAY TIME OFF

It was Lyon that should have been doing the whinging, not Soward.

NRL rules clearly state time off after the conversion is taken (thus why Killer tried to take the conversion so quickly after the 2nd last try).

Symonds scored with 68 seconds left. Time off does not get called until after 80 seconds for kicks at goal.

So, why was there ANY time left at all? Because the referees incorrectly called time off.

This is not about what happened on the weekend ,its about us as football fans only seeing60mins of action out of a 80 min game,surely people can see that ,if you buy a carton of beer you get 24 cans ,what if you open it up and find only 19 cans ,RIPPED OFF

Stevo said:
Brookie Brawler said:
C) Stop penalising the marker when the tackled player walks forward off the mark

Spot on. How is it Watmoughs fault if the bloke playing the ball crawls between his legs trying to gain ground advantage?

(C) i] when the tackled player walks off the mark the referree walks the defensive line forward so it goes from 10 m to about 5m.

manlyfan76 said:
Stevo said:
Brookie Brawler said:
C) Stop penalising the marker when the tackled player walks forward off the mark

Spot on. How is it Watmoughs fault if the bloke playing the ball crawls between his legs trying to gain ground advantage?

(C) i] when the tackled player walks off the mark the referree walks the defensive line forward so it goes from 10 m to about 5m.

Trouble is taking the markers out of play is more valuable to the attacking team than having a full 10m. If they would just penalise any tackled player who walks off the mark and interferes with the marker, players would stop doing it. As a bonus, the wrestle would be less of a focus because defenders would be able to clear the ruck and get to marker much easier.

Fluffy said:
If you instruct refs to not penalise certain indiscresions then coaches will intruct players to commit said indiscresions.

What we need to a rugby style short arm penalty and bring back the 5 minute sin bin.

If you had 10 genuine (stop line up the kick down field) penalties and 10 short arm (tap & 6 again) penalties a match it would speed things up a bit.

They trialled this during the Indegenous game maybe last year? That worked really well too, just a 6 again call and get on with it, that game was played at such a crazy pace it was great

Dan said:
Fluffy said:

They trialled this during the Indegenous game maybe last year? That worked really well too, just a 6 again call and get on with it, that game was played at such a crazy pace it was great

Now that you mention it I do recall something like that. It is the only way forward I can see.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8