How golden point should be.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
Watching the nfl playoffs and they seem to have extra time perfect. Amending it for nrl it would work like this.

- 5 minutes extra time ( I think 10 would be better)
- both teams will get to have possession unless the side receiving scores a try on the first set of 6 after kick off.
- field goals and penalty goals do not end the game
- only a try can end the game before extra time is up
- if no try is scored in 5 minutes then any further points scored in extra time would determine a result.

IMO this would be a winner it wouldn't eliminate field goals in extra time but it would add excitement if a team pots a drop goal on the first set the other team is going to go hard attacking to score the game winning try.

I like the old 1 point each. If both sides are good enough to keep the scores dead level at fulltime, they deserve a point each. It would probaly keep the field closer together too. It is heart breaking for a team to miss the finals because they lost 3 or 4 golden point games through the year. Then again, the strong survive i guess.

I think a try should be more important. I like the changes in NFL and think something like the suggested works also in NRL.

As for 1 point each. I would prefer.
3 points a win
1 point for draw at 80mins
1 point for winnig extra time.
2 points for bye.

winning a game within 80 should be worth more then winning in 90. Also the team that loses extra time atm gets nothing for being equal for 80mins.

I think that the NCAA Football overtime rules are far superior to the new NFL ones (which are still very raw & haven't really achieved the result they set out intending to achieve - as witnessed in the Broncos vs Steelers game).

NCAA Overtime Rules said:
Overtime was introduced in 1996, eliminating ties. When a game goes to overtime, each team is given one possession from its opponent's twenty-five yard line with no game clock, despite the one timeout per period and use of play clock. The team leading after both possessions is declared the winner. If the teams remain tied, overtime periods continue, with a coin flip determining the first possession. Possessions alternate with each overtime, until one team leads the other at the end of the overtime. Starting with the third overtime, a one point PAT field goal after a touchdown is no longer allowed, forcing teams to attempt a two-point conversion after a touchdown.

It gives teams a chance to constantly match what they're opponents have just done. Their OTs do tend to drag on a bit longer than the NFL ones but the shoot-out style is exciting to watch & at least you know that your team won't get screwed over by a coin toss.

Golden point in my opinion should be used only in the final series. Nothing wrong with a draw & 1 point to each team during the regular season & it's often the fairest result.

Mals said:
Golden point in my opinion should be used only in the final series. Nothing wrong with a draw & 1 point to each team during the regular season & it's often the fairest result.
I don't think golden point should be used in the finals until some length of extra time is played. Nothing wrong with 10 mins each way the golden point. I would hate to be a supporter of a club whose team loses a grand final to a drop goal in golden point. ( however I think it would be piss funny if it happened to the sharks or parra)

Cambo said:
Watching the nfl playoffs and they seem to have extra time perfect. Amending it for nrl it would work like this.

- both teams will get to have possession unless the side receiving scores a try on the first set of 6 after kick off.
- if no try is scored in 5 minutes then any further points scored in extra time would determine a result.

IMO this would be a winner it wouldn't eliminate field goals in extra time but it would add excitement if a team pots a drop goal on the first set the other team is going to go hard attacking to score the game winning try.

One problem..... this won't always work. Here is a hypothetical for you Cam:
After 80 minutes Manly and Parra finish 12 all.
In the first 9 mins of extra time, Manly kick two penalty goals and one field goal to go ahead 17-12.
In the final minute of extra time, Parra scores a try, but miss the conversion attempt.
Do Parra, on the lower score of 16, defeat Manly 17 because they scored the golden try?

Cambo said:

Bloody Giants. Stole the game fromthe 49ers yesterday.

eagle-rock08 said:
Cambo said:

No they didn't, the wanker in the 10 jersey is the biggest choker since Paul Carriage

He lost them the game, period

Giants are the new Steve Bradbury

bones said:
Cambo said:

In the first 9 mins of extra time, Manly kick two penalty goals and one field goal to go ahead 17-12.
In the final minute of extra time, Parra scores a try, but miss the conversion attempt.
Do Parra, on the lower score of 16, defeat Manly 17 because they scored the golden try?
Mate in five minutes of extra Time your scenario is possible but very highly unlikely. To give you an example could I shag brittney spears? yes that's is possible but it very highly unlikely.

The Eagle said:
eagle-rock08 said:
Cambo said:

No they didn't, the wanker in the 10 jersey is the biggest choker since Paul Carriage

He lost them the game, period

Giants are the new Steve Bradbury

10 = Kyle Williams. I wouldn't worry about him because that kid will be cut for sure, decent enough role player for his age but you don't do that **** in a NFCCG & keep your contract.

Mind you the Giants have always been the Steve Bradburys' of the NFL.

Agreed, it throws up issues with the NRL rules. While Cam is right that it's very unlikely, you still need to plan for unlikely events in the rules.

NCAA playoff OT rules deal with that, as I posted above. Lets say Manly kick a penalty goal on one of their possessions. Now Parra get the ball & need to get at least two points on that possession or the game is over - if they score a try, the game is over.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6