How do Lyon and Matai rate?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Lyon is pure class & has every quality a centre needs.
Matai is intimidating ,very strong & speed definately has improved.
Almost the perfect combination really.
Individually still loved old Mick O'Conner at his best.

The Eagle said:
zabble said:
Lyon = best centre i have seen. freakishly gifted - and a winner.

Hill = ...a close 2nd.

These 2 guys together would be unstoppable.

Hill is the most overrated bloke to ever play in maroon and white.....best 2 centres are clearly Lyon and Fulton

Hill was always injured we called him compo and he would always be right for the finals, strange that

That is a nice story about Hill, but a bit of a tall one

He spent 6 seasons with Manly, 94,95,96,97,98 and 99.

In those 6 years he played 126 matches for Manly, averaging over 20 games a season, along with 12 Origin appearances that would have ruled him out of games for Manly. That is a pretty fair percentage of games for somebody "always injured"

[/quote]

That is a nice story about Hill, but a bit of a tall one

He spent 6 seasons with Manly, 94,95,96,97,98 and 99.

[/quote]

Hill spent 7 seasons at Manly. 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 , 99 and 05.

Yep true there, however the period I thought he was refering too would have been through his prime with us. In 2005 we still got 16 games out of him which was probably more than we intended I would guess

That's as good as the myth that Lyon is injury prone and spends too much time on the sidelines. One of the sites ironstines dribbled that a few times.

How anyone can leave Fulton off the 'best centres' is an imbicile. Fulton and Branighan are the ones. Anyway, comparing different players from differing eras is just plain stupid.

Yeah it's silly to go past Fulton. It's been a pleasure watching Stevie develop. I remember first seeing him in reserve grade. He was skinny but hit real hard. It didnt take him long to crack first grade and it's been great memories ever since.

He's so charismatic with the way he plays whether he puts a big shot on or goes down clutching his shoulder.

Im to young to remember Hill's 1st stay,all i know was he was injured till we crawled into the finals looking for one last paycheck,i was ecstatic it was his last season,he wasnt as good as his replacement ffs

Innes was one of those players who just did exactly the right thing no mistakes. The only time he ever did anything I could fault was in the 96 gf when mark coyne (in possession of the ball) wacked him and he retaliated, giving the desired penalty to the dragons. That's it. Othewise, if a try was on he scored it, a tackle needed making he made it, a pass, etc etc. You'd have his name automatically printed on the team list. Hill was also strong in the mid-90s and often put hancock away for tries; they had a great combo.

Centre pairings is a bit of a false thing these days as they never really play together. in the 70s into the 80s they were often together in attack, and defensively they would be together from scrums and sometimes tap kicks. In that regard, fulton and branighan were outstanding.

and since we're talking old time centres, what about cracker macdonald?!

The Eagle said:
Bell was good for 1 season,after which he was meh

He lost his mojo after the Beaver hit which broke his cheek bone during SOO. Yet another reason why I hate that tournament.

DSM5 said:
How anyone can leave Fulton off the 'best centres' is an imbicile. Fulton and Branighan are the ones. Anyway, comparing different players from differing eras is just plain stupid.
Fulton was the best, if Wally was the king Fulton was God !!! Lyon and Matai are one of the best centre combinations .

I was thinking about this today & I'd have to say that Lyon & Matai are the best center pairing in the comp at the moment. Off the top of my head the next best that I can think of is Ayshford & Lawrence with the Tigers.

If there is a better centre in the game than Jamie Lyon can someone point him out for me?

He looks like he is running into that same form he displayed at the back end of 2008.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6