How are metres gained calculated?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
I think the stats are a bit of a joke really.
I'm not being mean here, but Willow got the ball a few times in attack on the weekend, and made a fair few more metres than zero - I watched the replay.

Any idea guys?

If you get the ball off a pass, run forward say 7-8 metres, and pass it, is that making 7-8 matres?

Or is it, you get passed the ball, and have to get tacked for the metres to count?

Therefore, 1/2's and that would very rarely make metres???

Anyone know? Or is NRL.com just a joke?

Beats me mate, unless nrl has some spiffy metre grid they can overlay...but yeah, i don't take much notice on that either.  I think Gus wrote a column about that earlier this year too. 

The stuff that does hawkeye in the Cricket can be used for this, whether they use it or not I dont know

It's all done by humans as far as I know. I'd say the Willo thing was just an oversight otherwise it'd would have 0 hitups (0m) wouldn't it ?

why they persist with human readings is beyond me

Wilstyles will be the man to answer this, think he did a bit of stats work year before last

Another question i have, when 2-3 blokes all make a hit at the same time, who do they give the tackle too ?

clontaago link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=178134.msg192895#msg192895 date=1218431202]
why they persist with human readings is beyond me

Bloody humans, good for nothing organisms?
[/quote]

It's all about the man hours. They can grid it out, point out a player with hawkeye and it does the rest.

Hawkeye is a damn powerful tool, very well made and thought out

Is hawkeye intelligent enough to work out who has the ball and who hasn't ??

my understanding is you need to be tackled ie if you make a 50m break and hand off to the support player you get nothing.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Wilstyles will be the man to answer this, think he did a bit of stats work year before last

Another question i have, when 2-3 blokes all make a hit at the same time, who do they give the tackle too ?

They are all credited with a tackle.

As for the running metres, you basically are only given metres if your main action is running towards the opponents line. If you get the ball and your main aim is to pass it along the line, but you happen to drift forward 4 or 5 metres before the opportunity to pass comes up...then you haven't made a "run".

If Willow has "0" metres, then I guess it means he never ran the ball into the defensive line. Sounds odd, but that's the only explanation.

Although if you make a big break (as in Fluffy's example) then you DO get credited with the metres because you are deemed to be 'running for the try-line' even though you don't get tackled.

is it possible to go into the negatives will?

as in if you get nailed at the advantage line and pushed back, do metres come off your stats?

Fro link said:
is it possible to go into the negatives will?

as in if you get nailed at the advantage line and pushed back, do metres come off your stats?

Nope, lowest amount you can get for a run is 0.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6