Horror start to season

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Phantar

Bencher
Today's MD:

Horror start to season
RUGBY LEAGUE
6 DEC 11 @ 07:09PM BY JON GEDDES

THE Sea Eagles will formally approach the NRL seeking to alter their schedule.
THE Sea Eagles will formally approach the NRL seeking to alter their schedule after being handed a horror start to the 2012 season.

“We’ll do what we have to do, but I’d like a bit more consideration to be given to the players,” Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey told The Manly Daily.

After flying back from the big World Club Challenge clash with Leeds in England, the defending premiers have been done no favours in the first five rounds of the schedule.

The players will head over to New Zealand for a grand final replay with the Warriors in the opening round on Sunday, March 4.

Their preparation for that game will be shortened as the squad will have to overcome jetlag.

The team then returns to Australia and backs up five days later against Wests Tigers.

“I am concerned about the players’ welfare and we will be making a submission to the NRL to try and get an alteration to the draw,” Toovey said. “We think the way it stands at the moment it is very taxing on the players, considering the travel schedule we have.”

And the team may not get back from New Zealand until the Monday before the Tigers clash.

There had been talk of the Sea Eagles playing that second round game on Saturday but for some reason that hadn’t eventuated.
Manly’s concerns were immediately raised after the NRL released the schedule this week. The Sea Eagles will be away from Brookvale for the first five rounds and also face two Monday night games away against the Sharks and the Eels.

The schedule has been made more challenging with the Sea Eagles backing up from the Sharks game with a Saturday night clash against St George Illawarra.

Yes, we've been given a typical lousy start to the season, same old same old. When has the NRL ever done us any favours with the draw. We'll win anyway, that'll give them the ****s.

If the nrl does not cone to the party I think the only option is to send a second string side to England for the wcc! 3 or 4 injuries in that game with a short back up would leave us as sitting ducks for the first 5 weeks..,

The travel will be a factor. The jet lag after coming back to Sydney from London takes time to get over. I'm sure Tooves will be smart & give them a lighter training schedule. It's a shame the renovations to Brookie started so late that the club can't schedule a Brookie home game until round 6.

Round 2 v Tigers @ Bluetongue should have been scheduled for the Sunday arvo. In 2010, the same game attracted a full house on a Sunday arvo. Last year when it was on a Friday night there was only about 16,000

bob dylan said:
Lets get over it, and get on with it.
Of course. But I can see the DT regurgitating this in the next 24 hrs as a big scoop and the usual retarded types going online at that site to declare Manly a pack of whingers! Lol.

Fyi Stevo:

"The scope of the Works includes extension to the Jane Try Grandstand, including tiered seating terrace, new corporate areas, new amenities and facilities.

“Stage 4 works consist of:
- Extension of Jane Try Stand one bay to the north
-
- New amenities - kiosk and toilets
-
- Community Function room

- Removal of structures to northern hill

- Additional seating infront of existing Jane Try Stand”

Try this link:

http://www.s-tz.com.au/projects/civic/item/57-brookvale

Masterplan Project B gives an indication of the scope of works being done to the JT stand.

How many other sports would treat their premiers so shabbily?
The NRL has a vendetta against Manly and it just grows more obvious by the day. On the flip side, the 'leg up' they give Brisbane is now laughable.

However, it's not the first five games that are important to us - it's the last five. And even with the NRL not letting us use Brookvale Oval for the finals they will never break our spirit.

Here's something to mull over. May I suggest a public stoning might be appropriate punishment.

THe major prob will be the early travel to start the season. If Manly can win 3-4 of the 5 without injury after taking out the WCC it will be all good imo. :)

NRL not letting us use brookvale?

I can not imagine why they would not want Manly to play there with any construction going on

EagleRock40 said:
Round 2 v Tigers @ Bluetongue should have been scheduled for the Sunday arvo. In 2010, the same game attracted a full house on a Sunday arvo. Last year when it was on a Friday night there was only about 16,000

Agree 100%. We've asked for more Sunday Arvo games, and what do we get? Monday night games. What a joke.

Doesn't surprise me one bit tho, the NRL has been bending us over for years. You cant tell me Gallops got nothin to do with it. Stuff like this has got his grubby prints all over it.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7