Hoppa mad to leave

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Snoz

Why:

In 2 years Lyon will be off contract and likely to retire or head to uk for a few more years

In the meantime hoppa can learn his trade outside of lyon & matai and ease his 18 yr old underveloped body into nrl

The money will be there in 2 years time

He is more of a chance of playiing for NSW from the wing in the short term and once he gets a spot as a winger and if good enough the transition to representive centre will be almost guarenteed when move happens at club level

Chances are with Matai & Snake's long term injuries and judiciary record (Matai) he will probably play up to 50% of his 50 dd games in next 2 yrs in centres or fullback anyway

Big money deals bring pressure and he doesn't need this yet

Manly are a team on the rise while Parra is not. Doubts about Dogs as well.

He can play with his U20 mates - Foran, DCE, Oldfield, JB etc

His family being residents of the area

Des and the way he has developed Will so far

All those things are very valid reasons to stay. I hope they are enough because the odds we won't be the highest bidder or be able to offer him a position other than wing (at least initially).

Hoppas situation is starting to effect my life! I google him about about a dozen times today hoping there will be some news story just broken he's signed on the dotted line for us. (Maybe there are some things I should just keep to myself!)

May be some valid points there but there are a million rea$on$ he may want to leave - and who could blame if if he does.

:)

Especially with reports coming out that the family need the cash.Thats why Hoppa is trying his hand as a boxer thats not working out.Crazy to go anywhere else.Whats better to have glorious memories with the club you truly love or get paid a heap and have no memories and play with losers.

Ive tried to justify all the reasons he should stay to myself but at the end of the day this is a professional sport and players need to earn as much cash as they can in their playing careers. If he gets offered the right amount of cash he will take it and so he should. If DCE and Foran build a good combination and both stay longterm we will still look great for the future.

Im sure the club will use the increase in cap and backend a deal to try an keep him though.

Masked Eagle said:
Hoppas situation is starting to effect my life! I google him about about a dozen times today hoping there will be some news story just broken he's signed on the dotted line for us.

Ever thought about reading a book?

This one might be a good start

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Hopping-Mad-Linda-Urban/9781842709702?cf=3

Matabele said:
Masked Eagle said:
Hoppas situation is starting to effect my life! I google him about about a dozen times today hoping there will be some news story just broken he's signed on the dotted line for us.

Ever thought about reading a book?

He's got a book out already?

The club should employ Hoppa snr in some capacity with the club - perhaps as minder when the team goes out on nights out?

I wonder if Hoppa should also think about this. I call it the Karl Filinga effect. Remember him. He's the next Sonny Bill Williams. Pfft, he played 11 minutes of first grade for the sharks after they signed him on a $600.000 contract. If Hoppa (a rookie really) signs on a big money contract with another club, will they take the time to nurture him and bring him along like we would. Or would they expect results straight away. And if this does not happen, will he end up on the scrap heap with Karlos Filinga?

Fonz said:
I wonder if Hoppa should also think about this. I call it the Karl Filinga effect. Remember him. He's the next Sonny Bill Williams. Pfft, he played 11 minutes of first grade for the sharks after they signed him on a $600.000 contract. If Hoppa (a rookie really) signs on a big money contract with another club, will they take the time to nurture him and bring him along like we would. Or would they expect results straight away. And if this does not happen, will he end up on the scrap heap with Karlos Filinga?

Or maybe he might think, geez I better take the cash while its on offer because who knows what might happen in the future?

Back in the pre manager days players might make these sorts of decisions more regularly about their future because the people they would listen to would be their coaches, but its a lot harder for them these days with the guys who are in their ears are taking 10% of what they earn.

I look at it the other way and as much as I'd like him to stay a Sea Eagle for life, he is mad if he doesn't take the 500k per season on offer right now from a rival club. All of Snoz's reasons for staying are quite valid but the power of money weighs far more than all of those reasons put together, even with interest.

As ME said, that's 50k per year to his manager. Everyone is out to get the best for themselves so unless Manly find similar money to pay Hoppa in comparison to what is on the table from the Eels/Dogs, he will probably hit the road, Jack.

I'm sure William is a bit smarter than that. He's also got the guidance of his father (who, regardless of what you think of him, is a teriffic father) and the people who he has grown up around and, i'd imagine, respects and trusts. People such as Des, Toovs and crush.

Fonz said:
I'm sure William is a bit smarter than that. He's also got the guidance of his father (who, regardless of what you think of him, is a teriffic father) and the people who he has grown up around and, i'd imagine, respects and trusts. People such as Des, Toovs and crush.

I'm sure thats all true and I'm positive William would put his family before anything as his father would which is why he took up boxing to put food on the table. What if William thinks he can help his family with the extra dollars even if it might be detrimental to his own career or means he plays somewhere else despite him not wanting to leave. Do you not think he'd do it?

Of course its not the be all and end all but you can't dismiss it as a fairly important factor.

Well that depends if he thinks he has a 2 to 3 year career in him or one that may span a decade?

WAMF said:
I look at it the other way and as much as I'd like him to stay a Sea Eagle for life, he is mad if he doesn't take the 500k per season on offer right now from a rival club. All of Snoz's reasons for staying are quite valid but the power of money weighs far more than all of those reasons put together, even with interest.

As ME said, that's 50k per year to his manager. Everyone is out to get the best for themselves so unless Manly find similar money to pay Hoppa in comparison to what is on the table from the Eels/Dogs, he will probably hit the road, Jack.

Even if you take any "loyalty" and lifestyle arguments out of the equation, more cash in the short term might not necessary be the best financial decision.

Do you think Greg Inglis would be earning as much today if he left the Storm to go to Souths when he was 19? If he was playing outside Sandow and Luke instead of Cronk and Smith by the time he was 22 he probably would have been the nothing player he is rapidly degenerating into today.

People keep making the point that at some clubs Hoppa could choose his position in the backline. The reason... because the rest of the backline at those clubs is SH!T!!!

Assuming for the moment that Hoppa's sole motivation is money, the best way to earn the most money over his career is to ensure that at this early stage of his career he is surrounded by quality players and in an environment in which he is comfortable. Nobody is in a better position than we are to offer him that.

I wouldn't blame the kid if he went for the most dollars, but I hope someone sits him down and explains that a big pay day today could cost him in the long run. Tyran Smith won't do that of course, as he just wants his 10% today.

When people say it is not all about the money they are usually full of it, but at Hoppa's stage of his career it is true.

Having said all that, we will need to be at least in the same ballpark as the offers from our rivals. But if it comes down to a difference of $50K per year or so I would like to think that Hoppa would stay with us.

If Tyran Smith is any sort of a businessman he'll be looking out for his Hoppa's short term and long term. If he's the superstar we think he is it would be beneficial for his management to look after him.

Fonz said:
If Tyran Smith is any sort of a businessman he'll be looking out for his Hoppa's short term and long term. If he's the superstar we think he is it would be beneficial for his management to look after him.

The problem is he might not be confident that he's going to be Hoppa's manager for the long term, so short term $$ would be the goal.

If he's not confident he'll keep his players long term he should get out now or he'll be the one who's not around. The rugby league world will tie a knot in him and flush him down the toilet.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8