Hollow victory

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
I am an avid Queensland supporter but I have to say that what really pisses me off about Origin (and the NRL) is the inordinate amount of influence the referee has on the game.

In game 1 there are few penalties and slow play the balls and NSW grind to a win.

In Game 2 the ref blows up a storm of penalties, the play the ball is much quicker and Queensland dominate.

So it becomes a lottery - which way will the ref go (or be told to go) in Game Three?

Archer refused to police the play the ball in the GF last year. 

Manly, like Queensland, thrive where we get quick play the balls.

Fair points I think, same ref, two games controlled very differently, no consistency at all from game to game.

The only upside is seeing Bellamy not get his way for once.

Never a truer word spoken. Absolutely diabolical the inconsistency of the policing of the ruck. Queensland were better tonight on the back of a whistle blower that suited their game plan. Can't help feeling NSW were blindsided on this front as they would be right in expecting a similar standard of refereeing as Game 1. Makes for an interesting Game 3. Maybe Archer won't get the nod.

The other thing that incensed me was the dropped ball/stripping rulings. If that was a club game then 90% of those ruled as dropped balls would have been called as strips by the video clown. Because it's Origin the gutless little wonder watching the monitor is too scared to stick his neck out. Where is the consistency there ??

Well done to Qld they were the better side and played smarter, but they got quite a few leg ups that helped blow the score out.

Qld - dirty rotten cheating bastards. But totally dominating, spread it wide, showed us up through the forwards and through the backs, tackled like demons and despite the ref, were deserving winning dirty rotten cheating bastards! That's all I have to say - way too good. Good on them for turning it around.

Consider - the ruck is in play at every play (obviously).  There are something like 400 rucks in the course of a game.

To have such a vastly different approach at the ruck from one game to the next - it can't help but have a massive impact on the game.

Thus the most important question for Origin III is not who gets picked, how the coaches prepare etc.

It will boil down to what approach the referee will emply at the ruck area.  And that sucks.

Matabele you have never written such a wise post as this, couldn't agree more

Chip & Chase link said:
The other thing that incensed me was the dropped ball/stripping rulings. If that was a club game then 90% of those ruled as dropped balls would have been called as strips by the video clown.

Too true, if Qld dropped the ball it was a strip penalty if NSW dropped it there was a scrum with a QLD feed.

I watched the game in the middle of the Tavern in Hervey Bay, I went there by myself decked out in Blues gear and was surrounded by QLD supporters, I was either brave or stupid, but still it was a good night and a few people who came and sat with me and chatted to me, were very fair about it, though they don't know football and I had to explain to them what was happening with ref decisions and why it was pissing me off.

Turner went completely missing I can't believe how poor he was!

I can believe how poor he was, because he is always poor. He plays in one of the best backlines we might ever see and they make him look better than he is.

How many tries did Brett Stewart save? His tackling is copybook stuff. 

He pulld off some cracking tackles, outstanding in so many ways.

They left the poor guy exposed at the back there and there was nothing he could do. The amount of times he was left 3 on one was ridiculous

NSW need changes.

I'd like to see this team run around in game 3.

Stewart
Hayne
Gasnier
Cooper
Quinn
Wallace
Gidley
Bailey
Buderus
Kite
Mason
Gallen
Bird

Tupou
Fitzgibbon
Laffranchi
Cross/O'meley/White

Much more balanced in my opinion.

Why have Gidley. I think he is a waste of space. I would much rather Mullen or a half we will stick with. Some would suggest that Anasta should play. There has to be a ball player on both sides of the ruck.. We do not need dinosaurs like O'Meley.

Qld won last night because they played a Bellamy (Melbourne Storm) game plan.  Quick play the balls, move up fast and target the ball carrier not the outside man who may or may not get the ball.  This is the same way Melbourne beat us last year. Manly did not get done because we 'like' to play the ball quick,as Matabele suggests, rather our ruck play was slow and Melbourne's quick.  CW, NSW do not need Anasta.  We exposed his game last weekend.  All he has is get to the line and kick.  I doesn't work if you play the game away from the line and have adequate tall catching outside backs, like we do and Qld has.  The thing is NSW has inadequate forwards (Simpson, White?) this year and Quinn, Wallace and Gidley are not up to the pace.  Kite is not the answer, to slow and bad hands.  Back to the drawing board and think harder.  Qld won't be asleep at the wheel for the first twenty minutes next time     

DSM5 link said:
Manly did not get done because we 'like' to play the ball quick,as Matabele suggests, rather our ruck play was slow and Melbourne's quick.    

Our PTB and ruck was slow because Archer did not police the Storm getting off us.  And we didn't adapt and lie all over them like they were doing to us.

He also let them stand offside all night.  again we did not adjust and stood back in line with him all night like brainless lemmings. 

Dan link said:
I watched the game in the middle of the Tavern in Hervey Bay, I went there by myself decked out in Blues gear and was surrounded by QLD supporters, I was either brave or stupid, but still it was a good night and a few people who came and sat with me and chatted to me, were very fair about it, though they don't know football and I had to explain to them what was happening with ref decisions and why it was pissing me off.

Turner went completely missing I can't believe how poor he was!

Have you explained website construction, fibre to the node broadband, and the design of the www & all that techical stuff to them yet Dan ?  ;)

With the way the were staring at the pretty lights and moving pictures on the TV I didn't have the patience to start yet.

When are you coming up here to show me the fishing spots mate?

Surely we need to organise a SE QLD Sea Eagles meet up

Dan link said:
With the way the were staring at the pretty lights and moving pictures on the TV I didn't have the patience to start yet.

When are you coming up here to show me the fishing spots mate?

Surely we need to organise a SE QLD Sea Eagles meet up

LOL......go slow on them.

Yep, the SEQ get together sounds good. Ill be in it. Fish Fraser Island, theres always something on there.

I couldn't believe how they screamed and cheered yet had not an idea of the rules or even able to see set plays or patterns in the game.

I figure they must have just liked the colours on the television

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4