Hodkinson/Foran - What's the Verdict?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
I haven't seen the game and had to suffer listening to it on 2GB with Ray Hadley and Co who must be the worst commentators of all time (worse than Channel 9) and so I cannot comment on the first grade debut of Hodkinson and also how Foran went at 5/8. In the first half the game was on 702 and they raved about Foran.

How did both play in the game and what is the verdict re the future? Is this the half pairing we have been looking for? Should we persevere.

They are good. Foran has heaps of ability and could/will be anything. Hodko is a tough nut and I think as a pairing that they are suited. The problem is that combinations take some time. Anticipating second row and centre runs don't happen overnight but I like what I see.

I only saw it on tv but was impressed with both of them, they are both tough and sharp. Hoddo did not overplay his hand yet still scored a try and set one up, Foran was Master Perpetual Motion. Hoddo's kicking looks like it will be very good once he adjusts to NRL pace, apparently Des has said he will keep the 2 of them together for the next few weeks so that says it all really. It looks good to me.

Foran stepped up and took alot more control than he did on Monday.  I expected Lyon to play 5/8 but he stayed at centre and Foran looked good.  Hodgkinson did not look out of place in the NRL, did not do anything outstanding but he did his job and his defence was very solid.  He can only improve if he gets more opportunities.  His kicking was pretty average but it was his first game and it will improve the more game time he gets.  I hope Des sticks with them both.  Lyon and Foran can swap during games to get Lyon involved more as required.

I posted the following in another thread, but seeing as we have a thread dedicated to the topic I'll cut and paste here.

Foran dominated the first half at first receiver and didn't afford Hodko many opportunities. What opportunities Hodko did get he didn't really threaten. Foran runs at the line a lot for a halfback, but at least that straightens our attack, better than the crabbing from Orford we saw last year. I thought Foran outplayed Hodkinson today, and certainly out organised him. That's not to say I was disappointed with Hodkinson's effort, he definitely wasn't overawed and looks like he can handle the pace and contact, much like Foran showed in his debut games. I was expecting more from him in the kicking department as we were told that this was his big strength, didn't show much in that area today. That bomb was a shocker and even though Gifty tidied it up with a good kick, I think (I'm happy to stand corrected) that Hodko was the player that missed the first clean shot on Hayne when he got back into the field of play to compound the error. We needed much smarter kicks in that last 20mins and I really feel Lyon should have asserted his authority and taken control there, rather than leaving it to Foran (whose kicking is still a work in progress) and Hodko. Anyway there was enough there to suggest that we can definitely move forward with Foran and Hodkinson as a partnership, I'll give Hodkinson the benefit of a more settled preparation next time around and a hopefully he will be given more rein to show his wares. I'd like to see Foran on the left and Hodko on the right as first receivers and mix it up a bit. Foran's straight running will suit Choc and Matai, and Hodko can link with Gifty and Killer.

It looked like they shared being 6 and 7 throughout the game, but i hope to see Foran 6 and Hokko 7.  Foran just plays more like a five eight more and Hokko a halfback.

More games means better experience in getting those kicks away too, not to say there weren't some good kicks.  I remember a commentator saying Lyon wouldn 't get much service today due to the new combo but lots of those backline sweep plays looked fantastic, from seasoned players.  And this is coming from a guy who was in QLD a few days ago.

Off the one game i'd say they're solid and i want more.  Those two look hungry and that's what we need.  Definitely keep it going for mine, those two didn't single handedly lose the game so they should be paired up next week.

On a different topic, this just shows how Rodney can start and Bailey can unfortunately miss out.  Cross and Joe were great in their first showings for the club, particularly Cross.  Today was probably Robbo's worst game too, and Farrar is our new fullback for sure.  That attempt at the bomb was pure balls.

There's still a lot of hope for the future... If the refs play fair we'll get up to speed and keep in the finals hunt.

We should persevere with the combo.  Hodkinson went well imo.  Scored the first try. Our game was good until the last twenty minutes.  I'm not sure who kicked the ball into their ingoal, but when Burt, having been grabbed by Jamie, passed to Hayne, there was a complete lack of interest in tackling him from the rest of the crew.  Why the chase wasn't in a line is a mystery.  The rest is history.  A disappointing end to a game that we should have won.  Why can't Ballin play the full 80 is a mystery to me as well.    My daughter suggests that we should play a 'Saints' game when we lead by so much.  Shut up shop, forget the fancy stuff, don't try to score, and just plod up field and defend stoutly.  Maybe she's right.  

I thought they were great considering there is less than 10 first grade games between them. The backline plays were well rehearsed and looked smoother than when Orford was there.
I really think the 2 compliment eachother, we should definetly let them form a combo.

Agree with SeaEagle8, Foran is "Mr Perpetual motion" just follows everything, tackles everything.

Leave Lyon at centre, he is an absolute weapon out wide.

just keep in mind with hokkos kicking game that he was kickin iyt dead to nulify haynes kick return

We needed repeat sets or them bringing it off their own line at that point. Not 20m restarts.

I thought the 20 metre restarts were OK.  We set our line and they have to go 80 to score.  Some of our kicks to the ingoal only missed my a metre or less.  Stick with Foran outside Hodkinson and Lyon in the centre.  He was our best.  Perry to Qld with George's return.  Lots of wins with this team. 

they werent perfect but I don't think anyone expected them to be, plenty of encouraging signs thats for certain.

With the season looking like it is the possibilties of these 2 forging a long term comination is one of the few positives so far.

2 thumbs up for Hasler. as was playing Farrar at FB.

DSM5 link said:
We should persevere with the combo.  Hodkinson went well imo.  Scored the first try. Our game was good until the last twenty minutes.  I'm not sure who kicked the ball into their ingoal, but when Burt, having been grabbed by Jamie, passed to Hayne, there was a complete lack of interest in tackling him from the rest of the crew.  Why the chase wasn't in a line is a mystery.  The rest is history.  A disappointing end to a game that we should have won.  Why can't Ballin play the full 80 is a mystery to me as well.    My daughter suggests that we should play a 'Saints' game when we lead by so much.  Shut up shop, forget the fancy stuff, don't try to score, and just plod up field and defend stoutly.  Maybe she's right.  

It was Stewart who put that kick in, probably the best of the day, the reason why the chase may not have been so good is because it was our 2nd kick of the play, the 1st being a shocker which we regathered from memory.

Happy to see the combo over the next few weeks, however if we returned to having to play Lyon at 6 again, Foran would be ahead at 7 for me. He played the more dominating role yesterday in the pairing as well

I should mention the 1 part of Hodkinson's effort that I think he will be most disappointed in, in that forward pass try, for the initial Hayne chip, he was in the right position, but showed no urgency to get on the ball and also to make the tackle once they picked it up

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2