History doesn't make us different

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
its good to be a manly fan. We consistently have success, never had a spoon and generally are always there or there abouts. But we must not take things for granted , as much as we like to joke about it. Every club, organisation has its hard times. Even the broncos would have if there dealings were investigated by a transparent body.

I did not see this season coming , not by a long shot but as the cracks appear more and more damage emerges. I suspect the next few seasons will be tough so check your emotions and leave your princess crown at the door , just for your own health. Roll up your sleeves we have some dirty work to do

Bad blood on and off the field, potential match fixing, players throwing tanties, rifts, rookie coach, completely new staff, baggage galore and we thought we just had some back ended contracts to deal with

It will take a few years to get rid of the current culture and build a healthy place. Will barret be part of that, not sure but manly will turn it around quicker if he is. We need to start somewhere and if barrett does have what it takes nursing him through this would be a good thing . If he doesnt then of course we know the path.

We have had a bad run with injuries and scheduling. We dont have a junior talent pool to draw on. We have many players yet to offload, that know there fate. Some of our leaders are sooky. This is our position, like it or not. Many many people played a part in getting us to this point. This is not an overnight problem

Stop blaming everything on the tooves situation , the penns, Zorba , joe kelly and the coach and lets get down to renovating the club from top to bottom. This isnt going to take a lick of paint. And we are not trying to sell this end product. Its something we want to cherish, admire and be proud of. So we need to do the job right, with patience, starting with the foundations which is what we have done to a point. But foundations dont get you points. **** happens

I know some people just want to win at all costs. Hell i lived in qld most of my life , im wel, aware of that but at times it looks a bit ugly. Manly rarely has to be the humble guy or girl, much like the northern eagles days. Enjoy our new standing, enjoy the changes it can bring to us as people , sit back and get another view. Success will come After all we are manly. It will happen

Lets leave the toys in the cot and just dig whats going on.
Serenity now
Our squad is very unblanced
I think the turbos, cherry, walker, lussick, tapau buhrer, afb, parcell with a few young ones like knight,possibly meehan are the base. Essentially this means we have to replace more than a dozen players. A few will emerge but you can not out that many players and replace them with the quality required overnight.

James, always good for a logical post.

Couldn't agree more , as I keep saying year 1 into a 5 year rebuild.

2017 will be about the same again, so we had better get used to it.

2018 should see some improvement.

Sorry Gen Y , instant gratification not on the menu.

But Mark I want it nooooooooowwww!

OK OK I'm gen X not Y....but I don't look a day over Z.

Sadly this year is panning out sort of how I expected it to, had no confidence at the start and still don't. Just feels wrong in so many ways

I actually remember the climb back from our last fall. Just scraping into the 8 a couple of times - losing first game. Managing to get to the 8 a win a game.
Winning a couple of finals. Then 2007 through to the GF. 2008 History was made. I actually didn't expect 2011 to happen.
We have been spoilt.
In a hole at the moment but we have to earn our way out of it.

I agree.

Am just dissappinted in the way it was promoted.

Nathan brown and Gus G have said things like 5 year plans and their fans know this.

There was none of that this year with Manly.

I actually remember the climb back from our last fall. Just scraping into the 8 a couple of times - losing first game. Managing to get to the 8 a win a game.
Winning a couple of finals. Then 2007 through to the GF. 2008 History was made. I actually didn't expect 2011 to happen.
We have been spoilt.
In a hole at the moment but we have to earn our way out of it.
I remember it all too well. This feels different. In a worse kind of way. In a idgaf anymore kind of way.

The OP hasn't said anything that hasn't been said in a thousand posts before it.

As for not blaming everything on the Tooves situation all I'll say is this; from a fans perspective, in 45 years of supporting this club the Toove's sacking was the worst decision I have witnessed. The hate I have for the people responsible will be with me forever.

Stop blaming everything on the tooves situation , the penns, Zorba , joe kelly and the coach and lets get down to renovating the club from top to bottom. This isnt going to take a lick of paint. And we are not trying to sell this end product. Its something we want to cherish, admire and be proud of. So we need to do the job right, with patience, starting with the foundations which is what we have done to a point. But foundations dont get you points. **** happens
Well you've named just about everyone with anything to do with the club so someone has to be responsible?

I can accept being down the bottom of the ladder every now and then but when you sign a dill like Barrett with no coaching credentials and you start dipping into the player market for a 30 year old journeyman in Blake Green, then you get what you deserve.

I remember it all too well. This feels different. In a worse kind of way. In a idgaf anymore kind of way.

The OP hasn't said anything that hasn't been said in a thousand posts before it.

As for not blaming everything on the Tooves situation all I'll say is this; from a fans perspective, in 45 years of supporting this club the Toove's sacking was the worst decision I have witnessed. The hate I have for the people responsible will be with me forever.
Agree about the Tooves decision and understand where you're coming from. I can't turn away from Manly though and will be here for the ride as Jake, Tom, Parcell and new generation try to claw us back.

Mark I would totally agree with you if not for the facts. This is not a re-build, as they have blooded few rookie players. They did however sign 3 International players, 2 further representative players and had an existing squad that boasts the likes of Lyon, Matai, Stewart and the Trbojevic brothers. I think that us as fans, have a right to be irate with the clubs pathetic management and direction.

its good to be a manly fan. We consistently have success, never had a spoon and generally are always there or there abouts. But we must not take things for granted , as much as we like to joke about it. Every club, organisation has its hard times. Even the broncos would have if there dealings were investigated by a transparent body.

I did not see this season coming , not by a long shot but as the cracks appear more and more damage emerges. I suspect the next few seasons will be tough so check your emotions and leave your princess crown at the door , just for your own health. Roll up your sleeves we have some dirty work to do

Bad blood on and off the field, potential match fixing, players throwing tanties, rifts, rookie coach, completely new staff, baggage galore and we thought we just had some back ended contracts to deal with

It will take a few years to get rid of the current culture and build a healthy place. Will barret be part of that, not sure but manly will turn it around quicker if he is. We need to start somewhere and if barrett does have what it takes nursing him through this would be a good thing . If he doesnt then of course we know the path.

We have had a bad run with injuries and scheduling. We dont have a junior talent pool to draw on. We have many players yet to offload, that know there fate. Some of our leaders are sooky. This is our position, like it or not. Many many people played a part in getting us to this point. This is not an overnight problem

I know some people just want to win at all costs. Hell i lived in qld most of my life , im wel, aware of that but at times it looks a bit ugly. Manly rarely has to be the humble guy or girl, much like the northern eagles days. Enjoy our new standing, enjoy the changes it can bring to us as people , sit back and get another view. Success will come After all we are manly. It will happen

Lets leave the toys in the cot and just dig whats going on.
Serenity now
Our squad is very unblanced
I think the turbos, cherry, walker, lussick, tapau buhrer, afb, parcell with a few young ones like knight,possibly meehan are the base. Essentially this means we have to replace more than a dozen players. A few will emerge but you can not out that many players and replace them with the quality required overnight.

But Zorba Peters is too blame for a number of the issues at the club, including his constant white anting of former champion player, coach and eternal club legend Geoff Toovey. The disgusting fat ball of rubbish that Zorba Peters is claimed that; ' With the side that Toovey had, he should have certainly made the 8' Really? Even after the de-stabilising that you caused? This does not even mention the contempt shown by the slimey and putrid piece of crap toward Sea Eagle supporters in his column for the Manly Daily. The fat heap of crap that Peters is, should have been kicked with fury, years ago out of our club.

The incompetence and complete failure of Messrs.' Kelly and Penn in signing the halves, and the subsequent disruption that caused, was somehow the fault of Geoff Toovey. Toovey is only behind Bellamy, Bennett and Hasler for winning percentages, yet the powers that be felt that a proven failure in Trent Barrett was a better option. Given that Barrett got the playing squad and coaching staff that he wanted, at seasons end, they should all be gone. Let us not forget, the club replaced a successful formula, with an unsuccessful one.

The proof is in the results here; Barrett failed to get a champion Panthers 20 side even into the 8, yet both his predecessor and successor, with a near enough same squad got them into victorious grand finals. He coached Country for 2 matches, earning 1 win and 1 loss, yet he was handed a prestigious job that is coaching the Sea Eagles. Cartwright is a massive failure and his loyalties are elsewhere; Ferris not even in Donny Singe's dust; and Dave Warwick had it all over Fulton, and still does.

If we were getting the results that we are, yet had Parker, Hynes, Ramien, Knight and Fonua-Blake starting, I would not be irritated. That would be a rebuild, with an exciting future. The fact is that we had a successful and proven system that was torn down, and replaced with coaches and players that did not come from the success that our culture is. That is why so many of us are 'sooking' and are not leaving our 'toys in the cot'.

I think what is most upsetting for me about our current situation is that it is largely self inflicted. Sure we had some ageing stars to replace, but think about it Walker for Lyon, Tom Turbo for Snake or Matai, Parcel for Ballin, Jake Turbo for Kingy etc etc. It didn't have to end this way, there have been many poor decisions along the way to get us here, and some good decisions poorly executed, but the killer blow was the appointment of a rookie coach. To some extent I understand it, Penn was around when Hasler started and watched that grow and develop and must have thought this would be just like that.

Last edited:
But Zorba Peters is too blame for a number of the issues at the club, including his constant white anting of former champion player, coach and eternal club legend Geoff Toovey. The disgusting fat ball of rubbish that Zorba Peters is claimed that; ' With the side that Toovey had, he should have certainly made the 8' Really? Even after the de-stabilising that you caused? This does not even mention the contempt shown by the slimey and putrid piece of crap toward Sea Eagle supporters in his column for the Manly Daily. The fat heap of crap that Peters is, should have been kicked with fury, years ago out of our club.

The incompetence and complete failure of Messrs.' Kelly and Penn in signing the halves, and the subsequent disruption that caused, was somehow the fault of Geoff Toovey. Toovey is only behind Bellamy, Bennett and Hasler for winning percentages, yet the powers that be felt that a proven failure in Trent Barrett was a better option. Given that Barrett got the playing squad and coaching staff that he wanted, at seasons end, they should all be gone. Let us not forget, the club replaced a successful formula, with an unsuccessful one.

The proof is in the results here; Barrett failed to get a champion Panthers 20 side even into the 8, yet both his predecessor and successor, with a near enough same squad got them into victorious grand finals. He coached Country for 2 matches, earning 1 win and 1 loss, yet he was handed a prestigious job that is coaching the Sea Eagles. Cartwright is a massive failure and his loyalties are elsewhere; Ferris not even in Donny Singe's dust; and Dave Warwick had it all over Fulton, and still does.

If we were getting the results that we are, yet had Parker, Hynes, Ramien, Knight and Fonua-Blake starting, I would not be irritated. That would be a rebuild, with an exciting future. The fact is that we had a successful and proven system that was torn down, and replaced with coaches and players that did not come from the success that our culture is. That is why so many of us are 'sooking' and are not leaving our 'toys in the cot'.
Spot on!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4