Hiku named at 5/8

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You know, I watched a replay of our last match against Cronulla two days ago (was away when it was on but recorded it and only just got around to watching it) and Hiku had a great game at centre. I've always thought he was a natural footy player, great skills, surprising strength. I've always been baffled by calls for his head on a platter around these parts…

Wing play lets him down only because of his positioning in defence. He has very good hands, and is a strong defender. He can also get aggressive when his blood is up, which is always a good thing. I was very happy with him in the centre position and he holds his own at fullback with no trouble.

I honestly think he will go well in the 6 for the Kiwis. I may be a little biased though. I have always liked him and regarded him highly as a player, so if I was a coach, I'd have no fear in giving him a run in the 6. Peta is the sort of bloke that is invaluable to a team due to his versatility, even if a little underrated by people at times. A bit like Willo who could play back row, five eighth or in the centres and get the job done.

Hoping Peta has a massive year in 2016, in whichever position he ends up.

To me he looks to carry a bit of weight and maybe this is the reason we don't see much speed out of him. Who knows, maybe he will produce a decent kicking game and find his calling.

You know, I watched a replay of our last match against Cronulla two days ago (was away when it was on but recorded it and only just got around to watching it) and Hiku had a great game at centre. I've always thought he was a natural footy player, great skills, surprising strength. I've always been baffled by calls for his head on a platter around these parts…
Thought the same. He was much more comfotable in defense. I think he can only improve. When i first watch matai in first grade I thought he was very avg, but really developed his game. Hoping Hiki can do the same

I personally think Hiku's best position is fullback. Problem there is that he's not about to displace Snake and we now know that Tommy is the one in line for the #1 jumper when Snake retires. And in the NZ team he'll only ever play fullback again if RTS is ever out injured or suspended.

On the wing he just doesn't have the pace although he definitely knows how to score a try out on the flank. I don't think he's that bad defensively on the wing, I just think that thanks to those inside him not always doing their jobs properly a lot of times he's often caught in no-man's-land. When facing a 2 or 3 on 1 situation most times you have to get lucky to stop a break being made or a try being scored. Our wingers usually get blamed for things like that when sometimes its beyond their control.

My only complaint about him in the centres for Manly is that he doesn't yet know how to use his support players properly. Sometimes I got the feeling that being on the wing so much he often forgot that while at centre he actually had another player outside of him. But defensively he has proven to be very good in the centres and I think that's probably where he'll end up playing most in the future.

I'll admit I've never seen Hiku play at 5/8 and it'll be interesting to see how he goes there for NZ. But if he goes well and it means we have another 5/8 option then I'm all for it.

I'm all for teams thinking outside the box and breathing new life into the NRL. I'd love to see Manly become the Ipswich of the NRL. It's far too easy to be negative. Pessimism requires no particular skill, talent or intelligence. Listing reasons why things won't work is easy, simplistic, counterproductive and boring.

Creativity requires optimism, imagination and courage. An ability to see past what is, and a willingness to dare to believe in what could be. No great event in the history of the world was based upon the failures of past events and the undying disbelief in success through a different course of action.

Embrace all new ideas. Never deny the possibility of success by letting the boring and mundane rule. Don't cling to the past, rejecting new concepts and new challenges, as Brian Adams advises. The negative mental attitude blocks the creative processes from true expression causing mental inertia, which is to live in a vacuum, to mentally wither and die on the vine.

I just reread all that and it occurs to me that I may indeed be sobering up. What a horrifying thought! I better have a stiff drink and hit the sack.

I'm sure I read a piece when we first signed Hiku from NZ or during his first few games in the first team and in it he mentioned he was a real late-comer to league, only his mid-to-late teens. This appears to ring true because I think he has a lot of natural ability but is extremely raw as a player, he hasn't had the time to learn his trade like others.

When he's managed to hold down a position for an extended period of time - at fullback in u20's and wing for us in 2014 (not counting this year because he's been moved around a lot due to injury) he's actually done really well. Not perfect. There are holes in games, but that is to be expected from him because he's so raw, and because of his utility status he hasn't had chance to work on them.

I genuinely believe that you give him the centre shirt - he will develop in to a top class centre. Would it work at 5/8th, very different position, very different requirements, but possible I suppose.

@Jax24 i think he played 5/8 in under 20s a few times, is that right?
Yeah thats correct. Was a fill in due to injuries. He went ok from what I remember considering he was a fill in. Obviously this was at NYC level and a few years ago now.

Does Jack Bird have a great kicking game? The bird mans no great organiser either, but he goes alright as a running five eight.

Hiku showed enough in last years test at fullback Were he was up in the line a fair bit to suggest he should do well on the weekend.

But lets not forget people were calling for Milford head after pre season, trial games and about 7 rounds playing in the no 6 this year. pretty sure those blokes look pretty silly now.

Give PETA a go. He's a talent he just ain't a winger.

Another point to consider is that he grew a whole lot between when he first came to us, and the beginning of last season. He went from being a fast-ish winger of average size to being about 6'2" and close to 100kgs. Guessing it cost him some speed, as well as mobility in out-wide defence. I do recall him putting some good hits on in defence last season though, a couple of which were on the line, Graham Eadie-like.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4