Hiku Future

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
There is such a glut of players & options at Manly, spots are far from 100% set.
Its safe to say if fit - Snake, Lyon, Matai, DCE & Taufua will all be in the starting lineup leaving a battle for other positions.
Personally a fan of Turbo & even at his age, his talent & speed make him a must include imo.
Hiku has his detractors, but personally find him a solid player as a centre, but find a lack of genuine pace is a question mark on the wing & fullback is awaiting Tom once Snake hangs up the boots.
A handy player who's versatility can be very handy....finding it hard to find a spot for a player who has had success at international level & really - not done too much wrong.
Whats the best options for Hiku in 2016??

Well considering Matai, Lyon, Stewart and Taufua aren't exactly free from any injuries, I would imagine even if Hiku doesn't have a first grade spot (which I think he will get anyway) he will still see a lot of game time thanks to injuries. Then when Lyon retires next year, Hiku moves to the centres.

Basically, Hiku shouldn't leave. Even if he has problems making the first grade side this year, he will certainly not be having such difficulties next year. So his best option will certainly be to stick it out.

Honestly I have no idea why so many people, especially on this site hate Hiku so much. I am a big fan of him and I honestly rate him just as highly, if not more highly then Taufua.

I think hiku Is better winger/fullback than tafua. Because he is better at defusing bombs probably faster at running too. Think tafua would be a good wide running second rower close to the line he would be difficult to stop.

Yeah he's a good finisher and for all his lack of pace and dancing around, he clocks up the metres.

I think it will be interesting to see how he looks at the end of a preseason under the regime. If he strips fitter and finds a gear who knows.

Hoping the new coaching team lights a fire under our fatter guys. Like Myles was talking about not being guaranteed a starting spot. That should carry over to everyone. I'd like to see some really hard work go in from now until March then the positions fall to the best men for the job...

I would swap Hiku for Whare back without even batting an eyelid. Even for Gutho who is running really well. Any reports his career is over are false.

It's not like Hiku is not a good player, it's just I don't feel he has any defining qualities. His is good at everything but great at nothing

Hiku is like a modern day version of Dale Shearer in that he can play anywhere in the backline. Unlike Rowdy however, Peta has a lack of pace rather than loads of it, though I do think he's a better defender than Rowdy was.

Well considering Matai, Lyon, Stewart and Taufua aren't exactly free from any injuries, I would imagine even if Hiku doesn't have a first grade spot (which I think he will get anyway) he will still see a lot of game time thanks to injuries. Then when Lyon retires next year, Hiku moves to the centres.

Basically, Hiku shouldn't leave. Even if he has problems making the first grade side this year, he will certainly not be having such difficulties next year. So his best option will certainly be to stick it out.

Honestly I have no idea why so many people, especially on this site hate Hiku so much. I am a big fan of him and I honestly rate him just as highly, if not more highly then Taufua.
**** winger can't tackle

I would swap Hiku for Whare back without even batting an eyelid. Even for Gutho who is running really well. Any reports his career is over are false.

It's not like Hiku is not a good player, it's just I don't feel he has any defining qualities. His is good at everything but great at nothing
Oh there is no way I would swap Hiku for either of these guys, not even both of them!
NYEagle

I think Hiku will be a very good centre.

He is ahead of where Matai was at the start of his career and has always looked pretty good there even though he has yet to properely train and for partnerships in that position.

Centre next year if Lyon goes to 5/8, keep him for years he has played one bad year, I reckon he is underrated wouldn't swap for walker, gutho

Killer was amazing at the end of last season. I hope he has a big year, and re-signs for a few more !!

I think Killer will benefit from playing 5/8. He can use his evasive skills (which still looked good against Jarrod Crocker in Canberra this season) against slower and less mobile players closer to the ruck, and he can use his deft kicking game to better effect.

I like what i've seen of Hiku at centre and obviously Tom T needs a spot.

It sounds like Barrett has designs on this idea, but Killer is not too keen...

Jamie will be 34 next year, and as much as I love him and everything he does he has to be close to retirement at that age.
One of the very best players of the modern NRL era. Jamie debuted in the year 2000, so he deserves to put his feet up fairly soon.

Jamie will be 34 next year, and as much as I love him and everything he does he has to be close to retirement at that age.
One of the very best players of the modern NRL era. Jamie debuted in the year 2000, so he deserves to put his feet up fairly soon.

Interesting to see that DCE has come out and said his preferred halves partner is Killer. Hopefully Barrett takes that into consideration when ultimately deciding on who will be our best option for 5/8. And while Killer would like to stay in the centres he did say he'd play at pivot if that is what is best for the team.

Barrett has also confirmed his plans on using both Parcell and Koroisau (who is coming off shoulder surgery) as our hooker next year. I read that to say that he plans on playing them similar to how Des used Matty Ballin and Heath L'Estrange. I think that also rules out one of them playing 5/8.

While I still believe that Peta Hiku's best position is fullback, I think with Tommy coming through at Manly and with RTS now having a lock on the Kiwi spot, Hiku's club and international future is in the centre's with the occasional move to 5/8 if needed.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6