High Paid Player Mediocrity

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

TagMonster

Reserve Grader
Have a look through history, how many sports teams have won when playing their stars big money leaving none for the rest? Below are the ones that come to mind:
- Storm (post salary cap breach)
- Cowboys (Thurston)
- Paramatta (Hayne)
- Broncos (Lockyer)
- NBA Lakers (Kobe)
- NBA Rockets (Howard and Harden)
- NBA Thunder (Durant and Westbrook)
- NFL Broncos (P. Manning)
- NFL Packer (A. Rodgers)
- NFL Ravens (J. Flacco)

Yes the above teams were moderately successful, just couldn't get over the hump for a championship.

For me this is what is going to happen with both the Titans and Parra now. We are in a position to get multiple good/great players across the park and bring in some cheaper younger halves to push for a premiership again. Thoughts?

The thing is Foran couldn't lick the sheit off Thurston, Hayne, Locky's butts. The guy has as much creativity as Chris Bailey. Got a lot of heart though. And who could forget that game in 2011 against the chooks where he smashed Pearce.

Have a look through history, how many sports teams have won when playing their stars big money leaving none for the rest? Below are the ones that come to mind:
- Storm (post salary cap breach)
- Cowboys (Thurston)
- Paramatta (Hayne)
- Broncos (Lockyer)
- NBA Lakers (Kobe)
- NBA Rockets (Howard and Harden)
- NBA Thunder (Durant and Westbrook)
- NFL Broncos (P. Manning)
- NFL Packer (A. Rodgers)
- NFL Ravens (J. Flacco)

Yes the above teams were moderately successful, just couldn't get over the hump for a championship.

For me this is what is going to happen with both the Titans and Parra now. We are in a position to get multiple good/great players across the park and bring in some cheaper younger halves to push for a premiership again. Thoughts?
Didn't Tom Brady restructure his deal downwards this season so they could make moves and they seemed to go ok if I recall correctly...

The Storm unfortunately won the 2012 Premiership... It was that unwatchable one that also featured the Dogs...

How much losing before Foran starts needing to clear the air with Arthur (namely about what an albatross Choc's deal is)

Didn't Tom Brady restructure his deal downwards this season so they could make moves and they seemed to go ok if I recall correctly...

Correct. He lowered his cap figure through a restructure which allowed them to sign Revis (an amazing player). They subsequently won the superbowl.

Alternatively the Ravens won a couple years back and signed Flacco to massive money. I don't think they have made the finals since.

How much losing before Foran starts needing to clear the air with Arthur (namely about what an albatross Choc's deal is)

The simple fact is the only way these teams can be successful is to find those roughies for low money (similar to what Manly have been doing) to complement those big money players. I don't think Parra or the Titans are capable of doing that.

Another stat from the NFL (will research NRL to see if same holds true), over the last four seasons teams with 1 or more defensive player in the top 15 salaries didn't have a winning record (win greater than 50% of games played).

I'd suggest the NRL would be similar. How did teams with top 5 salary players go over the past couple years?

Another stat from the NFL (will research NRL to see if same holds true), over the last four seasons teams with 1 or more defensive player in the top 15 salaries didn't have a winning record (win greater than 50% of games played).

I'd suggest the NRL would be similar. How did teams with top 5 salary players go over the past couple years?
Dunno - Seattle upped a few guys on D after they won. Sherman and maybe Kam Chancellor were up there for their team or do you mean top 15 of league wide salaries?

For league SBW and Inglis would have to be up there but SBW is a legit game changer. Inglis is too with the ball although he is a terrible defender.

Dunno - Seattle upped a few guys on D after they won. Sherman and maybe Kam Chancellor were up there for their team or do you mean top 15 of league wide salaries?

For league SBW and Inglis would have to be up there but SBW is a legit game changer. Inglis is too with the ball although he is a terrible defender.

Its league wide salaries. Seattle structured the contracts to be back-ended to be better under future cap rises.

Couldn't find SBW, but I'd expect he is the exception to the rule. As for Inglis, apparently he is 6th highest on 800k. Interesting that Foz is considered 50% better than him...

That's incorrect. Revis, Sherman. And also it's a misconstrued stat because the top 15 contracts are pretty much all quarterbacks. Also the packers won about 4 years ago with rodgers under center

How would you feel knowing a player in your team is getting paid 3 times as much as you, and you're expected to play 80 min a game..??

That's incorrect. Revis, Sherman. And also it's a misconstrued stat because the top 15 contracts are pretty much all quarterbacks. Also the packers won about 4 years ago with rodgers under center
Zero tackle is unreliable for contracted amounts @TagMonster because they don't have everyones contracts. Additionally some in there are media speccing

Zero tackle is unreliable for contracted amounts @TagMonster because they don't have everyones contracts. Additionally some in there are media speccing
Also I just checked and your stat is a complete lie. @TagMonster only 2 defensive players make the top 15 contracts for 2015 and both are either on teams with winning records or came from a team with a winning record. Suh at Miami from Detroit. Jj watt at Houston 9-7

All of the amounts stated on Zero Tackle are rumours or sourced from speculative media reports. There are no verified confirmed contract amounts there.

No your wrong mate, Shermans cap figure last year was 3.7 mil. Link is below

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/richard-sherman/

Revis was 13mil which doesn't put him in the top 15. Link below

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/darrelle-revis/

The top 15 contracts are not all QBs at all. I would suggest half are. As the halves and fullback are the most important position in NRL the same could be said for us. It is an imperfect comparison I accept that, but it illustrates the point well.

Its league wide salaries. Seattle structured the contracts to be back-ended to be better under future cap rises.

Couldn't find SBW, but I'd expect he is the exception to the rule. As for Inglis, apparently he is 6th highest on 800k. Interesting that Foz is considered 50% better than him...
Christ if Inglis is in 800 then wow the expectations on Foz should be incredible. Nothing short of a premiership for that money is worth it and not with him piggy backing. He needs to be Dally M/Clive Churhill/World Player of the Year material...

Also I just checked and your stat is a complete lie. @TagMonster only 2 defensive players make the top 15 contracts for 2015 and both are either on teams with winning records or came from a team with a winning record. Suh at Miami from Detroit. Jj watt at Houston 9-7

Its the only source for NRL that I can find. Second, Suh hasn't played a game for Miami and only just got off his rookie contract which was not in top 15. I will accept JJ Watt though. However, he had arguably the greatest season of a defensive player in history including multiple scores on both def and off.

You seem to be missing my point, teams that have players taking up large portions of their teams salary cap tend to perform well but rarely win the comp across most codes with a salary cap.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6