Hero’s autograph inspired Gutherson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
FOR Clinton Gutherson it all started with an autographed football.

Having grown up on Manly’s Northern Beaches, Gutherson was only 11-years-old when he first met Brett Stewart and he knew from that moment he wanted to follow in his favourite player’s footsteps.

Read More

FOR Clinton Gutherson it all started with an autographed football.

Having grown up on Manly’s Northern Beaches, Gutherson was only 11-years-old when he first met Brett Stewart and he knew from th
Clinton-Gutherson.jpg
at moment he wanted to follow in his favourite player’s footsteps.

“He probably wouldn’t remember,” Gutherson tells Foxsports.com.au of first meeting Stewart.

“I was in year five at a school carnival and he gave me a ball signed by him and Glenn. I still have it.”

In his first year of full-time training with the Sea Eagles, the 19-year-old fullback was a star of the Holden Cup.

While Gutherson made his NRL debut on the wing against Penrith in round 26 last season, he is looking to make the permanent jump up to the full-time squad.

While his preferred position is fullback, having played all his junior football there, he admits he is happy to play anywhere his coach asks him with some stiff competition ahead of him in Stewart and Peta Hiku.

“It makes me want to be better than them,” he said of the stiff competition.

“Hopefully I can just keep working and catch up with them and push and make them perform week-in-week-out.

“I want to try and put pressure on the older boys and if there’s an injury, try and get that spot and get a few more games than last year.”

Having also played rugby union, Gutherson was a member of the Junior Sevens Commonwealth Games side in 2011 and offered the opportunity to train with the senior squad but instead opted to chase his dream of being a league star.

With Brett Stewart, Steve Menzies, Andrew Johns and Danny Buderus his league idols, his older brother Lincoln was also a driving force behind his desire.

Lincoln also played fullback for the Sea Eagles’ Holden Cup side which spurred Gutherson on to crack the big time.

“He was always a good player,” he said of his brother.

“Always in the rep teams so I would look up to him and when I was getting to his age where he made teams I would try and make it one step further and he would always push me to be the best I could be.”

One year into Studying Business of Sport at Australian College of Physical Education, Gutherson is relishing the opportunity to learn under one of the game’s best custodians.

“I try and learn as much as I can from him,” he said of Stewart.

“He helps me out a lot, does extras with me at training and lets me know where I should and shouldn’t be, when to pass and when to not so I’m just trying to learn as much as I can off him.”

While Gutherson hopes to one day unseat Stewart as the Sea Eagles’ No.1, his short term goal is to line-up alongside him after missing the opportunity in his debut as Stewart was sidelined with an injury.

“That would be the ultimate,” he said of playing alongside Stewart.

“Watching him play as a young kid and then coming into training with him a couple of years ago and him just helping me all the way through. To get the chance to play with him would be a dream come true.”

Nathan Ryan
FOX SPORTS

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/rising-nrl-star-manly-sea-eagles-speedster-clinton-gutherson/story-fni3fbgz-1226826281926

You see this is what makes the Manly culture strong and great. Snakes visiting schools inspiring the next generation, then Gutherson hopefully becomes a quality first grader and inspires more.....

Great work!

Nice story. What a great role model that kid chose. Hope Gutherson's dream comes true and he's able to stay an Eagle for life like Brett.

This kid is promoted Extraordinarily well by someone at the club or his Management, ( he is off contract at the end of this season as well, which might be a reason to bump up his contract ) but they go overboard, he is a talented player but in the eyes of a lot of Senior people at the club, he is No Superstar and he will be No Brett Stewart either. He Is too Light, Lean and does not have Toughness or Explosive Speed to be One of the Best. There are a number of Talented, Fast Better players than him coming through but they get about their work quietly.

Eagle Rock said:
This kid is promoted Extraordinarily well by someone at the club or his Management, ( he is off contract at the end of this season as well, which might be a reason to bump up his contract ) but they go overboard, he is a talented player but in the eyes of a lot of Senior people at the club, he is No Superstar and he will be No Brett Stewart either. He Is too Light, Lean and does not have Toughness or Explosive Speed to be One of the Best. There are a number of Talented, Fast Better players than him coming through but they get about their work quietly.

I haven't seen any of Gutherson so I can't make any judgements. He is only 19, still growing. If he stays an Eagle the intensive training at Manly will help him increase speed and the toughness will come.
As for the weight remember the legendary Snake was a skinny kid when first sighted at Brookie, although in his case, you knew he was magic from day one.
Let's give this young bloke a chance to grow and develop before we pass too much judgement. If his dream is to become a first grade Sea Eagle, persistence, hard work and dedication might get him there.

Gutherson is on the right track. He has played for N.S.W rep teams and Australian schoolboys so, for his age, he obviously better than most. He is a local junior and I hope he keeps developing and becomes a great sea eagle first grader in the future.
We may get to see him in action this weekend in the 9's.

niccipops said:
Eagle Rock said:

I haven't seen any of Gutherson so I can't make any judgements. He is only 19, still growing. If he stays an Eagle the intensive training at Manly will help him increase speed and the toughness will come.
As for the weight remember the legendary Snake was a skinny kid when first sighted at Brookie, although in his case, you knew he was magic from day one.
Let's give this young bloke a chance to grow and develop before we pass too much judgement. If his dream is to become a first grade Sea Eagle, persistence, hard work and dedication might get him there.
Your either born with speed or your not, its genetics, Brett has always been a fast kid, not just fast but explosively quick off the standing mark and your either Tough or not, you can train to get tougher but you either have the Ticker there inside or not to begin with. Brett has the toughness as well, right from a kid, he also had a lot of lean muscle mass and is athletic. I think Manly should stop promoting this one particular player all the time, it gets boring, as there are better players there, who are bigger, faster and stronger and being a former selector, I know. Some players are getting tired of hearing about it. They did the same with Chee Kam last year and the poor kid was injured all last season. They should be concentrating now on getting all their other grades up on a winning note throughout the season.

niccipops said:
Eagle Rock said:

Your either born with speed or your not, its genetics, Brett has always been a fast kid, not just fast but explosively quick off the standing mark and your either Tough or not, you can train to get tougher but you either have the Ticker there inside or not to begin with. Brett has the toughness as well, right from a kid, he also has a lot of lean muscle mass and is athletic even as a kid you could tell he could run like a rabbit. I think Manly should stop promoting this one particular player all the time, it gets boring, as there are better players there, who are bigger, faster and stronger and being a former selector, I know. Some players are getting tired of hearing about it. They did the same with Chee Kam last year and the poor kid was injured all last season. They should be concentrating now on getting all their other grades up on a winning note throughout the season.

I like Gutho and believe that he is a star in the making.:)

I recall a skinny, lilly white forward in the under 23's back in the nineties, who stood out with his blossoming skillset too. Beaver is now a beefy 40 something Manly Legend :p

The promotion to representative games does not come from his Manager pushing him. A few year's back, I watched him star in the Under 18's SOO at Olympic Park and he got MOM, inspite of his willowy frame.:)

Lets not expect anyone to be a clone of Snake/Cliffy, as these guys are rare even among their peers.:angel:

niccipops said:
Eagle Rock said:

Your either born with speed or your not, its genetics, Brett has always been a fast kid, not just fast but explosively quick off the standing mark and your either Tough or not, you can train to get tougher but you either have the Ticker there inside or not to begin with. Brett has the toughness as well right from a kid, he also has a lot of lean muscle mass and is athletic you could tell back then he could run like a rabbit. I think Manly should stop promoting this one particular player all the time, it gets boring, as there are better players there, who are bigger, faster and stronger and being close with selectors I know. Some players are getting tired of hearing about it. They did the same with Chee Kam last year and the poor kid was injured all last season. They should be concentrating now on getting all their other grades up on a winning note throughout the season.

Eagle Rock said:
Your either born with speed or your not, its genetics, Brett has always been a fast kid, not just fast but explosively quick off the standing mark and your either Tough or not, you can train to get tougher but you either have the Ticker there inside or not to begin with. Brett has the toughness as well right from a kid, he also has a lot of lean muscle mass and is athletic you could tell back then he could run like a rabbit. I think Manly should stop promoting this one particular player all the time, it gets boring, as there are better players there, who are bigger, faster and stronger and being close with selectors I know. Some players are getting tired of hearing about it. They did the same with Chee Kam last year and the poor kid was injured all last season. They should be concentrating now on getting all their other grades up on a winning note throughout the season.

Really? Which players are these? He's hardly been rammed down everyone's throat but yeah maybe he's had a bit more media attention than other fringe players because he's a local junior. Let's give Gutho a chance before saying "he won't be this", "he won't be that".

Mals said:
Eagle Rock said:

Really? Which players are these? He's hardly been rammed down everyone's throat but yeah maybe he's had a bit more media attention than other fringe players because he's a local junior. Let's give Gutho a chance before saying "he won't be this", "he won't be that".

Its been happening for the last couple of years, he has some Media Person there that keeps pushing, the other players must get sick of it. I can name players like Jamil Hopoate ( Local Junior Manly Cove ) Michael Stigg, Liam Knight and Charlie Taylor Australian Schoolboy and NSW Dual Code Rugby and NSW League player ( Local Junior, Mona Vale Raiders ) Strong, Tough and Explosively Quick

Eagle Rock said:
Mals said:
Eagle Rock said:

Its been happening for the last couple of years, he has some Media Person there that keeps pushing, the other players must get sick of it. I can name players like Jamil Hopoate ( Local Junior Manly Cove ) Michael Stigg, Liam Knight and Charlie Taylor Australian Schoolboy and NSW Dual Code Rugby and NSW League player ( Local Junior, Mona Vale Raiders ) Strong, Tough and Explosively Quick

This is a great mag. 2014 Season Guide, $10 at Newsagents, tells you about all the players including the 20s.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7