1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heritage jersey

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by TerryRandall, Apr 14, 2016.

1. TerryRandall

TerryRandall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,092 / 38
    Anyone else see the irony in the "heritage" jersey having a giant green blob in the middle of it? Surely they could dispense with chasing the almighty dollar for once and omit the sponsors hideous logo? No way I would buy it as is.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Turbo

Turbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,568 / 497
    I'd still buy it but I'd rather the blob gone it ruins it a bit

3. Brookie4eva

Brookie4eva Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +175 / 1
    Without the Blob it's such a nice Jersey, but not so sure with the Blob :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Qld Eagle

Qld Eagle Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Feel the same. As someone that generally buys 2 jerseys and a polo plus other merchandise per year I won't be buying a thing until they get a new sponsor or at least tone it down a bit, i.e. just the Coco Joy in white writing sans green blob. Would have loved a 70th year jersey at least this year but no way.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TerryRandall

Ratings:
    +2,092 / 38
    Heritage implies traditional. A giant green blob is in no way, shape or form traditional. Are they seriously suggesting the sponsor can't survive without the additional exposure provided by what, a few hundred at most diehards wearing their heritage jerseys in the street, over and above the Tv and media exposure they already get? Anyway, I would buy it without, not with, so that's one sale foregone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,414 / 257
    Could they have integrated it better? Yes. Should they do away with it all together? No. A sponsor is a sponsor is a sponsor. Gotta respect their moola...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TerryRandall

Ratings:
    +2,092 / 38
    Not sure how you better integrate a giant green blob? Attach it to the inside? Can't imagine the heritage jersey naming rights being a deal breaker when the sponsorship was arranged. "Sorry, we were all set to hand over $x million in exchange for tv exposure to x million viewers this season, but your refusal to include our blob on the couple of hundred heritage jerseys you intend flogging off to the punters is a deal breaker"

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Loobs

Ratings:
    +6,414 / 257
    Do you buy other heritage jerseys without a sponsor? namely the Pepsi jersey, or the Pioneer jersey, or the Wormald? League jerseys have sponsors. We're pretty conditioned to that.

My only suggestion would have been to make it white outline for the circle and CoCo Joy with no fill.

9. yokahontas

yokahontas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,139 / 13
    The Pepsi one is an exception (and they actually integrated the sponsors colours in the jersey design), but the Wormald and Pioneer logos are in either maroon or white, so don't ruin the look of the jersey. I've got a heritage jersey from the Quantum years, at least it's a fairly subtle colour on a white panel, and the Delmege stuff I have is the same - subtle, unobtrusive colour. Don't get why they couldn't have just done the Coco Joy logo in white, as the Kaspersky logos were always done on the maroon jerseys - they're only in colour on the away jerseys (even then, they look fairly 'clean' and well integrated with the rest of the jersey design).

FWIW, the Pepsi jerseys were never a favourite of mine, I didn't like that they added the blue and red in to make the sponsor logo work. Plus, the ones they sell as heritage jerseys actually don't have the Pepsi logo the team wore on GF day - it was changed halfway through the season to a more 'futuristic' logo. Has annoyed me a bit ever since they released the heritage one, as my original '96 one is pretty worn out, and I have a thing about owning a jersey from each of the premiership years! Would've replaced it but they got it wrong!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Heckenberg

Heckenberg Member

Ratings:
    +113 / 5
    The pepsi jersey was always my favourite. Probably because i was a kid when it came out and i have great memories of going to games with my dad as a little tacker. Sliding down the hill on cardboard boxes. **** yeah

11. TerryRandall

Ratings:
    +2,092 / 38
    My point is - in an ideal world there would be no sponsors logos on heritage jerseys because they are supposed to reflect a time in our history when no logos were on the jersey.
    I would buy a Pepsi, wormald or pioneer jersey, because they are a replica of what we actually wore in those periods. The current heritage jersey I'm guessing is a replica of one of our earliest jerseys circa 1940s - having the current periods sponsorship on it kind of defeats the purpose and significantly detracts from its appeal, in my humble opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Loobs

Ratings:
    +6,414 / 257
    My 60 year jersey - same design - big old Delmege on the front.

I get what you're saying but the only one I've seen sponsor free was the one with the lace up neck.

13. Shoe1

Shoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,649 / 74
    I will only buy a coco joy jersey in 25 years when it is retro.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
  15. Shoe1

Shoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,649 / 74
    Keep it for 20 years, then it will be heritage, and you'll be the envy of everyone at Brookvale.

16. The Quirkster

The Quirkster The People's Champion

Sea Eagles Territory
    Ratings:
    +202 / 6
    That made my day. I am in pain from laughing!