• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Poola

Reserve Grader
Please tell me why opposition players choose to bat the ball over their try line instead of just diving on it ala rugby union to kill the play off? Please help I'm confused as it offers the same result. Thanks in advance

Easier to swipe the ball dead, than to get hands to it to ground the ball at top speed

If you go to grab it and accidentally fumble it and the opposition scores then thats a dead set coach killer. Take the safer option and put the ball dead.

If you go to grab it and accidentally fumble it and the opposition scores then thats a dead set coach killer. Take the safer option and put the ball dead.

Yeap this.

Its safer to bat the ball dead then to try control it and then ground it.

To waste time and allow their Team to regroup.
The same reason why a scrum is now a debate on the weather and politics, prior to a bunch of backs packing in @:cool:

You bat it out as a last resort over the dead ball line if the ball doesn't look like running dead and the opposition are close, safer than trying to ground it cleanly

I would grab the ball cleanly, step the defence then go 105 meters in 2nd gear to score, deliberately in the corner. So I can convert from the sideline, left footed.
You and me both brother. Although I would kick right-footed, noting I was born into the Presbyterian faith.;)

Plus when you knock the ball dead, you don't have 5 guys tackling you in goal.

So.....safer and easier - not saying footy players are soft though.

If you bat the ball dead in union is it a 5 metre scrum opposed to a 22 metre restart if you ground it?

If you bat the ball dead in union is it a 5 metre scrum opposed to a 22 metre restart if you ground it?
Nope it's a penalty to the attacking team & the player gets 10 minutes on the sideline.

If the ball is received in the in-goal, the player can either ground the ball (resulting in a 22-metre drop out, or to make the ball dead (Resulting in a 5-metre scrum)

So this says...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_rugby_union
Sorry Globaleagle, it just goes to show how Wikipedia cannot always be trusted:

YOU just can’t trust a league player.

Waratahs winger Taqele Naiyaravoro has vowed to study rugby’s rule book in the bye week after his dead-ball clanger nearly cost his side a win against Melbourne.

The former Wests Tigers player deliberately knocked the ball dead in-goal — as is common practice in the NRL — late in the game against the Rebels.

He was sin-binned and the Rebels scored a try on his wing to lock the game up at 28-all.

See the full article
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r-against-rebels/story-fnlhav6i-1227233615265

Ahh! No worries! Happy to get the info correct (no apologies needed). let's hope clint didn't play a game of union after reading my post and got himself sinbinned!

Wikipedia wrong huh....who would've thought????? lol

I should've realised when it said the rules were from 2011....union does seem to do a lot of rule tinkering!

:)

Ahh! No worries! Happy to get the info correct (no apologies needed). let's hope clint didn't play a game of union after reading my post and got himself sinbinned!

Wikipedia wrong huh....who would've thought????? lol

I should've realised when it said the rules were from 2011....union does seem to do a lot of rule tinkering!

:)
The rules of RU are so damn confusing that most don't understand them anyway, even the refs. However, one thing is apparent this year is that the refs now understand and recognise that Richie McCaw has been the best at breaking them (brilliant player and got away with it for so long)!

The rules of RU are so damn confusing that most don't understand them anyway, even the refs. However, one thing is apparent this year is that the refs now understand and recognise that Richie McCaw has been the best at breaking them (brilliant player and got away with it for so long)!

Have they???? Wow....it's either a miracle, the end of the world, or he's retiring soon!

Members online

No members online now.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4