He is Back!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
On the topic of his health - this isn't social sport, this is professional, it is business, and the top players are payed a lot of money. I expect with our set-up these days we have very high quality people in the medical/rehab area, and no-one wants to risk a major set-back for a key asset like Brett. But bottom line is the club wants him on the field asap.

That may well mean a little before he himself is comfortable. It almost certainly involves some risk of further serious injury - let's face it, every time these blokes run out they risk that anyway. Brett is far too valuable on the field to leave out. It is amazing to me he would be considered if he has only been running for a couple of weeks - but that is because of what he means to the team.

Unfortunately players' long term health, for example post-retirement, is generally not uppermost in considerations. They take the big pay and they know there are risks when they play. Sometimes big risks. It's another argument against a salary cap in the end.

Good luck Brett, go Manly !

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
[quote author=manlyborn link=topic=181461.msg238274#msg238274 date=1251212038]
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=181461.msg238269#msg238269 date=1251201439]
Farrar will go to the bench if Snake, Robbo, Matai, Lyon, Wolfman are available. Not sure whether Bailey or Foran plays 5/8 but that will be the threequarter Lyon, no matter the heroics of the last weekend from Farrar.
Your probably right CW, but who drops off the bench with Le'Strange, Hall, Kite, and Rose to make way for Farrar.
I'm guessing Le'Strange ?
[/quote]
Nice avatar manlyborn.
Looks strangely familiar:)
[/quote]
G'day SER8, I'm not to good with PC'S, I hope i haven't ripped off someone else's avatar. If i have just let me know and i will remove it...cheers

why do you guys have to scare me.

He will play until hes 35 and not depreciate in his quality or speed.

*whistles*

Even still if he does loose his speed, he has the creativity of a halfback & 5/8th and that doesnt go with age, so we could just mould him like the broncos did with lockyear from fullback to the halves.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
I am excited, and worried all at the same time!!
That about sums it up for me, do we really need him against the Gummies?

If there is even a slight chance he is not right give him another week.

deadlyeagle link said:
Even still if he does loose his speed, he has the creativity of a halfback & 5/8th and that doesnt go with age, so we could just mould him like the broncos did with lockyear from fullback to the halves.

Whilst Brett may have the creativity, which I dont know that he does as great a player as he is!
He lacks the quality passing game of a half and 5/8 and also the kicking game.

He has a long kick but not an accurate one and not a short kicking game.

His passing game is not crisp and his timing isnt right with passes.

Dont get me wrong he is a phenomenal player, an outstanding positional player and one of the best gap runners you will ever find

He looks creative because he is allusive and players want to give him space an see what he is going to do.

The basics are there and he can be moulded, but he is a long way of the calibre of 5/8 Lockyer is, and Lockyer was just a freak with whatever he touched

I disagree with the passing, His passing skills and hadling are phenominal, just think back to the passes behind his back versing eels at home, through his legs ala Benji Marshall (at SFS or stadium Australia), i can remember awesome cut out passes to wolfman when he has dragged in a few defenders on the right hand side.

Yes his kicking game isnt accurate but it is powerful, the main reason why he isnt used more often in kicks is because he is more effective at chasing them down and working in combination with ordford. I do remember watching him take a kick when orford was under pressure it could have even been the grand final not sure and he got good distance on it, accuaracy well that can be worked on over time. Anyway all im saying is that the potential is there in the future.

Can learn those skills Dan, what he does have is situational awareness, and a good football brain.

and deadly is right, if you are the kicker its hard to be a chaser of his effectiveness. the exception is obviously the chip that Hayne has bought back into vogue recently, he must have been watching a DVD of Phil Blakes tries of the 80s :)

deadlyeagle link said:
I disagree with the passing, His passing skills and hadling are phenominal, just think back to the passes behind his back versing eels at home, through his legs ala Benji Marshall (at SFS or stadium Australia), i can remember awesome cut out passes to wolfman when he has dragged in a few defenders on the right hand side.

Yes his kicking game isnt accurate but it is powerful, the main reason why he isnt used more often in kicks is because he is more effective at chasing them down and working in combination with ordford. I do remember watching him take a kick when orford was under pressure it could have even been the grand final not sure and he got good distance on it, accuaracy well that can be worked on over time. Anyway all im saying is that the potential is there in the future.

behind the back freakish flicks etc are just that, and not what you want from a 5/8 one example would be his one handed pass in the GF when Robbo still scored, but the pass went straight to ground.

Sure he does some freakish thing, but as a link man he has a long way to go

as did Lockyer when he moved there, he took a year or 2 to complete the transition.

But I dont think it is necessary for a while yet.

This will be the hot debate.

I've had him marked as a future 5/8 for a couple of seasons now. It was always inevitable that he'd eventually lose his pace, I just hope it's not quite yet.

Most of the skills mentioned were not there at all a few years ago, so with a bit of attention to them he could be quite adequite in a couple of seasons.

As a fullback, he's twice the player Lockyer was. His positioning, hands, pace & vision are all well above Lockyer and look what a good 5/8 that quite terrible fullback made. If Locky can do it, Stewy will kill it.

Having said that, I'd like to see him at the back for a few seasons yet.

Dan link said:
behind the back freakish flicks etc are just that, and not what you want from a 5/8 one example would be his one handed pass in the GF when Robbo still scored, but the pass went straight to ground.

Well if he didn't make that pass go to ground Turner would've intercepted it. It might look scrappy but I've no doubt it was intentional and was the reason we scored.

Volley link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=181461.msg238336#msg238336 date=1251256562]

Well if he didn't make that pass go to ground Turner would've intercepted it. It might look scrappy but I've no doubt it was intentional and was the reason we scored.
[/quote]

hahaha you are ****ing hilarious.....you are now saying he deliberately passed the ball to the ground....or deliberately, in your words "kooked" it

No-one deliberately kooks something. He deliberately set-up a try though. Normal pass, Turner intercepts it. Pass along the ground, tryski.

Next time you decide to take your little poof dog for walk, watch a replay of that try instead, and you'll know that I am right.

He's the man.

Volley link said:
No-one deliberately kooks something. He deliberately set-up a try though. Normal pass, Turner intercepts it. Pass along the ground, tryski.

Next time you decide to take your little poof dog for walk, watch a replay of that try instead, and you'll know that I am right.

He's the man.

To suggest he deliberately threw that at the ground is ridiculous. You can see it slips out of his hands and was only lucky that it continued to roll towards his target rather than bouncing any other direction.

oh deary me, clutching at straws again, with your comments

I reckon Brett himself would tell you he didnt mean to throw it at the ground. Turner was never going to get an intercept either.....

Brett would deny it because he's modest. I stand by it. It's like he saw a replay of the grand final the day before, saw that Turner would've intercepted it if he'd passed it normally, so he threw a grubber out of the hands into Matai's hands. There's nothing he can't do.

Volley link said:
Brett would deny it because he's modest. I stand by it. It's like he saw a replay of the grand final the day before, saw that Turner would've intercepted it if he'd passed it normally, so he threw a grubber out of the hands into Matai's hands. There's nothing he can't do.

you sound like the Gronk with your love for him

Brett is one of the best to pull on a Manly jersey, agreed, but no way that was deliberate

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6