Have the front row left a massive hole??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Over the summer I as always learn how much I miss watching the mighty Seaeagles in action.
This gives time to evaluate the coming season...& as is the case in recent years I see our main goal to compete well up front & the world class backs will dominate the opposition.
Have the front rowers who have left a hole???....were Kite & Rose very good at driving us foward last year.
Kite has been great overall since signing & last season at times was in good form, but tbh I think he has lost a little of his hunger & drifts in & out of games but has been a super player since joining back with BK.
Big Rose was a deserved cult figure & though he is not the new age athletic footy build, was at times our biggest impact player changing the momentum of many games & imo, a little underrated in his time at Manly.
Gower...reliable but only a plodder who would only rate a poor mans Bryant up front.
All left on good terms but not gunna wish them well, once they leave Brooky they are the enemy imo, this was even the case with an old favourite Ronny Rambo Gibbs....though dont mind them doing well against other NRL sides.

Leaves the question - who will step up
Fa'aso though unpredictable was missing much of last season & his mongrel will be invaluable.
Lui, Starling, Andrews will battle hard for a shot & between them should create healthy competition for a crack at the top grade.
As usual my main faith is in Jake Trjobovic - I have rambled about him plenty in 2013 but he has all the attributes to become a Seaeagles legend, this kid will not let us down & will be part of the 17 imo.
Also include Sao who is a big unit who can hit & offload.
Recently the recruitment has had plenty of smarts in signings & retention & though we lost a few up front they have signed new young props & are about to blood some mass talents to give good faith in the 2014 season.

maxta said:
Over the summer I as always learn how much I miss watching the mighty Seaeagles in action.
This gives time to evaluate the coming season...& as is the case in recent years I see our main goal to compete well up front & the world class backs will dominate the opposition.
Have the front rowers who have left a hole???....were Kite & Rose very good at driving us foward last year.
Kite has been great overall since signing & last season at times was in good form, but tbh I think he has lost a little of his hunger & drifts in & out of games but has been a super player since joining back with BK.
Big Rose was a deserved cult figure & though he is not the new age athletic footy build, was at times our biggest impact player changing the momentum of many games & imo, a little underrated in his time at Manly.
Gower...reliable but only a plodder who would only rate a poor mans Bryant up front.
All left on good terms but not gunna wish them well, once they leave Brooky they are the enemy imo, this was even the case with an old favourite Ronny Rambo Gibbs....though dont mind them doing well against other NRL sides.

Leaves the question - who will step up
Fa'aso though unpredictable was missing much of last season & his mongrel will be invaluable.
Lui, Starling, Andrews will battle hard for a shot & between them should create healthy competition for a crack at the top grade.
As usual my main faith is in Jake Trjobovic - I have rambled about him plenty in 2013 but he has all the attributes to become a Seaeagles legend, this kid will not let us down & will be part of the 17 imo.
Also include Sao who is a big unit who can hit & offload.
Recently the recruitment has had plenty of smarts in signings & retention & though we lost a few up front they have signed new young props & are about to blood some mass talents to give good faith in the 2014 season.
Lawrence Is the Best Prop there and has Speed as well. Trjobovic is another speedy Prop but for 1st grade I would play him Backrow, I don't think he is Big enough for a Prop, would love to see him Off Load the Ball more as he has a habit of Hogging. King could find it hard to get good game time this season, I don't rate him much as a player, he has been lucky, but is a Lovely Guy. Fa'aoso I would have coming off the bench, tough and plenty of mungrel. Symonds a great buy for Manly, a Roosters Junior he left to make way for Sonny Bill.

Lack of front rowers cost us a premiership last year. We are worse off this year without kite and rose. We've recruited in that position, but remains to be seen how good that recruitment is. A couple of young guys in São and turbo but they may need another season or two before they are nrl standard. I'm not sure how hasson will go just yet, seems willing but is he someone who can dominate ? If we can unearth another Lawrence or two then we will be sweet. If not then king dog needs a massive captains knock this year in order to carry this pack. Good topic, this is the key to our season as we have backs and back rowers that are world class, just need an engine room to give them the platform

At first glance it may appear there is a gaping hole in front row stocks. However do not underestimate Toovs, Dave Warwick and most importantly Don Singe's ability to pick the right guys to step up for battle and also get them in the right shape to do so. Donny has been priming them all summer for the season that lays ahead. Their fitness levels will be high. Ive got faith they will step up.

I just want one more Front rower for this squad. Willow should be knocking on Mark Bryant's door or someone of his ilk to guide this young inexperienced NSW cup pack around. I see Mark O'Meally is going to play for the Roos.

NRL Lawrence, Fa'aoso, King, Lui.
NSW cup Starling, São, Andrews, Turbo.
Any injury at all in either grade who's playing prop?

Hasson, Senelefao. Hopefully they put on a little muscle over the off season I think both are great players capable of playing A's but better playing in the second row IMO.

Tuigamala is listed at 118 Kilo but not sure he knows his own size yet.

The young guns can fight it out for the right to an A grade birth. But have someone out on the field to teach em a thing or two and develop them during the game.

If the A grade really got stuck be nice to have at least one experienced option playing in the two's.

Cliffy said:
I just want one more Front rower for this squad. Willow should be knocking on Mark Bryant's door or someone of his ilk to guide this young inexperienced NSW cup pack around. I see Mark O'Meally is going to play for the Roos.

NRL Lawrence, Fa'aoso, King, Lui.
NSW cup Starling, São, Andrews, Turbo.
Any injury at all in either grade who's playing prop?

Hasson, Senelefao. Hopefully they put on a little muscle over the off season I think both are great players capable of playing A's but better playing in the second row IMO.

Tuigamala is listed at 118 Kilo but not sure he knows his own size yet.

The young guns can fight it out for the right to an A grade birth. But have someone out on the field to teach em a thing or two and develop them during the game.

If the A grade really got stuck be nice to have at least one experienced option playing in the two's.
a Couple of Big Mean Props and Halves, we could do more of

Lawrence, Fa'aoso, King, Lui , Starling, São, Andrews, Turbo Hasson
9 props trained and coached by the best in the business and keen to make our top side . I cant see any holes . I only see a fresh new breed of young and up and coming players to add enthusiasm, and a fresh start to a new season .

Kite is a massive loss, I can remember only one ordinary season which was the year his father died. His experience will be missed.

Rose for the last two seasons couldn't crack the 17 until round 10 and was never anything more than a bench prop.

The key to the pack this year will be having Jason King on the field all year leading the young blokes around.

BOZO said:
9 props trained and coached by the best in the business and keen to make our top side . I cant see any holes . I only see a fresh new bread of young and up and coming players to add enthusiasm, and a fresh start to a new season .
The fresh new bread can fill the roll. We've picked many of them up for very little dough. At the very yeast I expect them to be competitive, so long as there are no loafers I won't be croissant. :)

Jason King will have a massive year this year. Fa'oso will be better than last season (Injury & Suspension free) and Lawrence will consolidate his spot. Dunamis Lui has a point to prove to the donkeys and will be a revelation just as Lawrence was last season. Starling wants to show souffs that they made a mistake choosing others over him and Jake Turbojet will become a regular.

That's 6 props at least that will strut their stuff this season. Add our world class backrowers in Choc, Gifty, Horo, T-Red, Buhrer and in my humble opinion we have one of the best forward packs in the game, certainly top 3.

My assessment is that we have the best backs in the game and one of the best forward packs in the game. Gee you blokes are hard to please.

Edit: I forgot about Ligi Sao. So that's 7 props that are either top performers or about to bloom.

Moondog said:
BOZO said:
9 props trained and coached by the best in the business and keen to make our top side . I cant see any holes . I only see a fresh new bread of young and up and coming players to add enthusiasm, and a fresh start to a new season .
The fresh new bread can fill the roll. We've picked many of them up for very little dough. At the very yeast I expect them to be competitive, so long as there are no loafers I won't be croissant. :)
Nice reply Moondog :)

Because only 3 of those props have regular NRL experience and are proven at that level. One of those has had a horror run with injuries, and one other is carrying a significant neck injury into the season. I'm a little bit worried.

Exactly, I'd be more worried if we were still relying on King Kite Joe George once again. Definitely time to freshen the prop ranks.

Main concern is Fa'aoso, I know he's tough but he did break his neck.

The simple truth is that apart from fa'aoso we had virtually zero impact off the bench last year, (repeat) zero impact off the bench last year. The replacement players did a tradesman like job, but impact was zero!

Kite will be missed and I think Gower had more potential than some give him credit for. Hard to develop at ten minutes a week. George is George.

Personally can't wait to see the new boys in action.

Alan said:
The simple truth is that apart from fa'aoso we had virtually zero impact off the bench last year, (repeat) zero impact off the bench last year. The replacement players did a tradesman like job, but impact was zero!

Kite will be missed and I think Gower had more potential than some give him credit for. Hard to develop at ten minutes a week. George is George.

Personally can't wait to see the new boys in action.

I have been a Big Fan of Joe Galuvao and its a shame he has Retired. He Always gave his All, Every game !!! Tough, Hard Strong Runner. I have Never seen him play a Bad Game. He would still be Good coming off the Bench. Manly should Utilize these players to help as Coaches for their other Grades. Instead they have So Many Hangers On, who have never played NRL, but have only passed some Courses in Coaching. Bewilders Me. We need the Great Players from Manly to be Involved with the Future of Manly Kids Coming through.

COMMANDER said:
Rose for the last two seasons couldn't crack the 17 until round 10 and was never anything more than a bench prop.

Excellent pick up! So when George plays for the Storm in Rd1 it will be first pre Anzac Day appearance on Brookie in a long long time! Obviously prefers the cooler months.

BOZO said:
Moondog said:
BOZO said:

That's food for thought.

*Lawrence shows huge ability & is no doubt up to the weekly grind & will be better for having a year under his belt at a real club.
*King....not convinced as he seems to be fairly injury prone but will have a lot to prove & hopefully the time out will add fire to his belly.
*Fa'aso must be credited for the mongrel he adds up front but has 2 issues, a serious injury to overcome & suspensions as his style sails close to the wind.

*This means 2 other players from new signings & local stars will have to aim up & imo will be a healthy battle between Lui, Starling & Trjobovic to fill the void.
Hoping that a couple of these players step it up big time as this will guarantee a solid assault again in 2014.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6