Hasson...are we being unfair?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Freagle

Bencher
At the enormous risk of being showered with a barrage of abuse and possibly plastic bottles, I'm going to go on record and suggest that maybe, JUST maybe...we're being a bit hard on the Hass.

Consider that he is:
- Only just turned 23, playing in a position where you aren't supposed to mature into the job until later than that (unless you're a superfreak by the name of Trbojevic...).

- He was a wide-running backrower until he came to manly, but was moved into prop to cover for the fact we had no big forwards for a while.

- Yes, he lacks impact when he runs at the line, but with a couple of years extra size on him that may change (he's only 105kg according to the website).

- He often backs up to play NSW Cup if he gets his usual 5 minutes in first grade, to try and improve his fitness and his game.

- He kneed Watamug right in the solar plexus in round 1 (i'm sure he was aiming for his ladyparts, but missed).

And what's more, he's a MANLY PLAYER and deserves our support even if he is a bit crap sometimes. One in, all in, I say.

Let the barrage commence.

When I first saw him play 2013 ?? I thought he showed some serious mongrel in defence and was impressed with the fact he hammered a few blokes BUT since then he has had limited game time if any. Until he gets 3-4 games in a row where he plays 30-40min per game its hard to judge him.

He's the new Jason King. In that, I mean he copped a truckload of abuse on this forum to then one day gain a little acceptance then later followed by wistful memories after they leave.

I hope Hasson turns out the same.

I think it's a fair thread. He's no Jake T, but I think as you've pointed out that's a very unfair comparison. Plus he only ever seems to get a couple of minutes here and there. Hard to really do much when that happens.

I remember when Buhrer was making his debut, I think he stayed on the bench for the first 2 games?? (could be wrong but it was at least 1) and then when he got some game time it was stuff all and because of that he did some stupid things (like holding down in the tackle) because
a) he didn't have a feel for the speed of the game
b) he was wanting to impose himself in his 7 min spell

I don't think he's a great player, but I do think he is a solid back up player to have when injuries hit. I wouldn't have him in my Top 17, but when he's in I think you need to give him serious game time (like all bench spots). You can't be a little bit pregnant and give him 5-10mins.

He showed promise in his first year but hasn't kicked on.

He needs to show more mongrel in defence and more go forward in attack to silence the critics.

If Hasson goes next year I feel like JSL will be next in line. Was really hoping for a big year from him but prior to his injury we wasn't making much of an impact.

If Hasson goes next year I feel like JSL will be next in line. Was really hoping for a big year from him but prior to his injury we wasn't making much of an impact.
Perhaps, but I like his enthusiasm. When he's interviewed it's obvious he is happy playing at Manly, and these days of moneytalksball, commitment goes a long way.

Perhaps, but I like his enthusiasm. When he's interviewed it's obvious he is happy playing at Manly, and these days of moneytalksball, commitment goes a long way.
Yeah I know, that's what bums me out. He's always the one most pumped up in the sheds when they're singing after a game, and genuinely loves the club. Which is why it sucks. But hopefully we get the size up front so like Hasson, he can move to a back row/edge spot.

If only he could reproduce his form when he played for Ireland He was a rippin n tearin in those games and was grabing headlines for his efforts
This was a quote in The Roar after his game against Fiji

James Hasson, Ireland
The Irish might have been outclassed against the Fijians but forward James Hasson was not.

The 21-year old Manly prop or back-rower, who made 11 appearances in his debut NRL season, has thrown off the disappointment of missing out on the Sea Eagles grand final squad by making Ireland’s World Cup team.

And the England-born, Australian-raised back-rower, who has Irish parents, made a real impact in the opener against the Bati.

Intimidating in defence and a strong ball-runner in attack, he gave the Wolfhounds some punch in the middle.

With a bullocking try towards the end of the game and some run-ins with Fiji’s Sims brothers, Hasson showed he would not be intimidated and seemed to relish his maiden Ireland appearance.

No to Hasson from me he may have gone OK a couple of years ago and is still only 23 but time to move him on . Pulling off one big hit a game just doesn't cut it sorry. We need a maniac off the bench that will hurt in defense and bend the line with hit ups . That we don't have at the moment but need to start looking for impact off the bench. Sorry j Hasson maybe Parra for you.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6