1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haslers first year

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Enigma, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Enigma

Enigma Active Member

Ratings:
    +198 / 8
    In 2004 Hasler finished his maiden year as a 1st grade coach. His team finished in 13th position and conceded 30 points a game(754). A young fullback shone despite this and hinted at better things to come. In 2016 Barrett will finish in a similar position in his maiden season with a developing roster as well , the defence conceeding 23 points a game. A young fullback shone brightly again. To win a title from this lowly position the club recruited very well and everyone played a role in a great era.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Turbo

Turbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,568 / 497
    What recruits followed that season you speak of?

And wow the comparison is amazingly similar I think we are exactly where we were back then.

3. Harvies elbow

Harvies elbow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,702 / 20
    The only way is up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. JenEagle

JenEagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,637 / 45
    I thought we finished 2004 very strongly and started to look like we were a force.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Killer03

Killer03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 27
    Ben Kennedy and Brent Kite came in 05. Then Orford in 06 (I think). Jamie Lyon in 07 and Josh Perry in 08. So we just nibbled away with quality signings each year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Turbo

Turbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,568 / 497
    Gillett and Asofa-Solomona as comparison possibly

7. SeaEagle9413

SeaEagle9413 Forward Pass

Ratings:
    +348 / 60
    Patience is a virtue my friend.

First of all, our new recruits and the rest of the team need to gel and find combos and structure in attack.

Second, they need to fix the simple errors they made in today's game. Eg) Cherry Evans failed to kick for touch.

Third, they need to work hard in defence and value it. Develop and 'never say die' attitude and learn to hold the line at all costs.

Fourth, the players must learn to remain calm and not go all ballistic when a good opportunity comes. They must be complacent and not just offload every time they are almost on the ground.

Lastly, Trent needs our support. Manly fans, be patient and I'm sure Barrett will deliver. He has surely learned the ropes by now.

Bring on 2017. Go Manly!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Enigma

Enigma Active Member

Ratings:
    +198 / 8
    A good end to the season for sure and plenty of promise but a fair bit to be a serious threat

9. SeaEagle9413

SeaEagle9413 Forward Pass

Ratings:
    +348 / 60
    Not just them Turbo, we have got Matt Parcell, Frank Winterstein, Matthew Wright, Blake Green and Wiliame

The future looks bright if these players can gel and develop some form together.

10. Killer03

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 27
    Hopefully. The signing of BK (Ben Kennedy) rates as one of the biggest master strokes in Manlys history. And to be honest there were plenty who thought we'd bought a crock. His influence on the golden era was huge. Firstly is it signalled massive intent. It showed we could recruit quality origin and test players. Secondly it showed ambition. And lastly it gave the players someone to look up to. Even players like Steve Menzies looked up to Bk. Young players like Glenn Stewart and Anthony Watmough were taken under his wing.

This then allowed us to continue to recruit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. weev

weev Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +684 / 17
    Trent has the unfortunate position of rookie coaching a club with a recent decade of sustained success. If he took over a plodding club that had years in the wilderness he'd probably be more appreciated.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. XV-1

XV-1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +499 / 55
    And we have now bought Nate Myles :) i wonder what Nates influence is going to be

13. Killer03

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 27
    Oh please stop the pain! I thought his signing would be huge.......Ill go and lock myself in the room of mirrors for that assessment.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Enigma

Enigma Active Member

Ratings:
    +198 / 8
    I reckon our forwards are stronger at this stage and young. Another backline of the quality and tenacity that emerged is a big ask. The big difference then was that we had many bad years leading up to this one in Des's first year so this was no shock. Some must thought the era of the Snake was some sort never ending story thus the trauma experienced lately. Haslers timing was good and he did a fine job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Enigma

Enigma Active Member

Ratings:
    +198 / 8
    I actually forget he is at the club most of the time .

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Enigma

Enigma Active Member

Ratings:
    +198 / 8
    A try the Snake scored off BK at the Brook is one of my favorites and showed Snakes amazing ability to accelerate whilst running in an arc . Amazing pace but not just in a straight line

17. Eagleheart

Eagleheart Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Sydney
    Ratings:
    +1,264 / 40
    We had a great core of talent that developed through the years from 05 onwards. Matai, Gift, Snake, Choc, Beaver, King, etc....!

And our recruits for 05, 06 and 07 were mostly amazing. Amongst them Kennedy, Kite, Orford and Killer were all extremely talented, had great attitudes, were natural leaders and were all round good blokes as well.

We did not recruit a great deal of has been journey men or reserve graders hoping they would become first graders.

Our recruitment and core talent was truly top notch. Our recruitment at present is not (although we do have some great core talent).

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  18. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,404 / 130
    Dont underestimate the addition of Steve Bell Matt Ballin, and the Wolfman.

Before that the astute purchases of Monaghan and Hicks

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  19. TerryRandall

TerryRandall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,080 / 38
    I have never seen a single player transform a team like BK did for us. My one regret from the golden era is that BK never got to win the GF with us. Would have been more than fitting.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. Killer03

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 27
    And Robbo.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1