Hasler and Penn fire up as NRL sticks with home finals schedule

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
THE NRL has ruled out changing the home ground format for its next finals series, even though the competition's top ranked teams drew disappointing crowds over the weekend.

Read the full article

A PATHETIC semi-final crowd of 13,972 has prompted Manly chairman Scott Penn to call for an immediate review of the finals format.

The miserable attendance embarrassed rugby league when a staggering 33,000 seats at the SFS were left empty for the Sea Eagles-North Queensland qualifying final on Saturday night.

It was the lowest semi-final crowd since 12,592 watched Melbourne play Canberra at Olympic Park in 1998.

An NRL rule, supported by all clubs late last year, ended suburban grounds being used in week one of the finals with all Sydney clubs to play at the SFS or ANZ Stadium.

But Penn said the NRL should have the ability to switch a game back to suburban grounds if an out-of-Sydney side is playing.

"To be honest, the crowd was very disappointing," Penn told The Daily Telegraph.

"Everyone agrees we have to move the bigger games to the bigger stadiums when two Sydney-based sides meet. But I think we need to look at the format when a Sydney side meets an out-of-town team. There has to be some alternative if we don't get anywhere near capacity.

"There should be leniency about playing that match at the club's home ground. Everyone wants to generate maximum revenue for the finals series.

"All clubs are on board and we want as many fans as possible watching the games.

"But the game needs to be flexible. If out-of-town teams are playing, we should look at going to the smaller venues.

"A decision was made and everyone went with it but no doubt the game on Saturday night would have looked better at Brookvale.

"We (Manly) had two bays at the SFS which were filled to capacity but the Cowboys also had two bays and there was only a couple of hundred people in there."

A capacity 20,000 crowd at Brookvale - 6000 more than the SFS - could have earned the NRL another $150,000. An 8.30pm kick-off was also deemed unfriendly to families.

NRL chief executive David Gallop stressed the current system would remain.

"The relevant crowd was the Friday night crowd (45,361 at ANZ Stadium for St George Illawarra-Wests Tigers match) which way exceeded any suburban crowd and was larger than what the SFS could handle," Gallop said.

"You can't give some Sydney clubs a home advantage and not others. That would be penalising clubs who have the ability to draw big crowds.

"We won't be reviewing it. I think this system has really worked well so far because it is as fair as can be to all Sydney clubs while maintaining the ability to play the regional games in front of the biggest possible crowds."

Penn said he had one solution.

"One of our members said to me the NRL should say the match will be played at Brookvale and then it move if the capacity is broken. I think that is quite a good idea. It should be based on demand. It is a good way around things," Penn said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sea-eagles-blame-everyone-but-themselves-for-pathetic-crowd-in-semi-final-against-north-queensland-cowboys/story-e6frexnr-1226134344691

Hasler fires off at NRL again

Manly coach Des Hasler has reignited his feud with the NRL, again slamming league bosses for ignoring Brookvale Oval after a paltry SFS crowd witnessed the Sea Eagles' convincing 42-8 qualifying final win over North Queensland on Saturday night.

Manly piled on 42 unanswered points to turn an eight-point deficit into a second half massacre before just 13,972 spectators.

Hasler was critical of the initial decision to ignore the Sea Eagles' home ground and took aim at NRL decision makers shortly after fulltime.

After spotting NRL director of communications John Brady sitting in the press conference room, the Manly boss asked out loud: "What was the crowd?"

Told it was about 13,000, Hasler continued: "Yeah disappointing, didn't work from that point of view."

"So, I'd mentioned to the NRL that if Manly are playing North Queensland it's not a hard one is it to work out that we would have easy got 20,000 (to Brookvale)."

"So 13,000 - it's probably 10, there's probably a bit of fudging there I don't know - but clearly there's a lesson there that maybe the game last night (Dragons-Tigers) could have been played here (the SFS) with a full house rather than a half empty stage at the ANZ."

"And we've had a quarter of the stadium tonight, but the NRL have got to try these things."

"There's a lesson there for all of us there. The NRL, we all make mistakes, and as long as we learn from them, as we have in the past..."

Sea Eagles skipper Jamie Lyon admitted the atmosphere was flat due to the lack of atmosphere generated by one of the smallest finals crowds in recent times.

"At the end when we were finishing the game they sounded alright but it was a bit quiet and there were a few empty seats out there," he said.

"It would have been good at Brookie."

But NRL boss David Gallop pointed out that all clubs - Manly included - voted for the home city rather than home ground format at the start of the season.

"The decision re: the home finals was agreed by all clubs because you couldn't have a situation where higher drawing Sydney teams were penalised and the lower drawing teams retained the home venue," he said.

You wouldn't have known it from his demeanour but Hasler was rightly proud of his players for fighting back after a below-par first half performance against a fired-up and committed Cowboys outfit.

It was a completely different Manly side after the break, the Sea Eagles completing 100 per cent of their sets to race in seven tries.

The points blitz has them on track to meet either Melbourne (providing the Storm beat Newcastle on Sunday) or St George Illawarra in week three of the finals.

"This side's always shown the ability to hang in there and to grind the game out so we needed to be able to do that tonight," Hasler said.

"This side's got a lot of character."

Neil Henry said of his side's second half collapse: "There are no excuses. The way we opened up at the back-end is a disappointing way to finish our season."

"That blowout at the end...it's a bit of a nightmare really."

http://www.sportal.com.au/league-news-display/hasler-slams-nrl,-again-137758

Typically NRL refuse to admit they got it wrong. Listen to this crap when ruling out a change: "you can't just make one rule for some and one rule for others."

HELLO you NRL morons. There is one rule for some and not others already. It is all non-Sydney teams getting home finals in they finish in the top four!

Geeze the NRL is infuriating.

I wish the club would stop whinging, we had the chance to say NO but according to the media every CEO agreed with the idea. If they had said NO in the first place then the concerns could be justified.

I love this club but everytime I should be reading positive articles in the media there seems to be other articles where we are perceived as whingers.

The Dragons , who supposed to be one of the teams with the biggest fan bases, got only 15574 to Kogarah for their first home final last year. Not much was said about that.

swoop said:
I wish the club would stop whinging, we had the chance to say NO but according to the media every CEO agreed with the idea. If they had said NO in the first place then the concerns could be justified.

I love this club but everytime I should be reading positive articles in the media there seems to be other articles where we are perceived as whingers.

You are absolutely right that the NRL can simple keep saying that we voted for it. I hope who that genius was is no longer making decisions for the club.
However, the decision should be reviewed, and Manly (and others adversely affected) should propose a change for next season when the clubs all meet for the annual gab-fest.

So David says you can't give some Sydney teams home advantage and not others

What are you doing at the moment then dickhead !!

Melbourne, the Sport Loving Metropolis only had 14,000 at the game yesterday. And it was a Sunday afternoon game. The SFS would have seen the Manly Supporters with kiddies come out during daylight hours. It was 8C, very windy and 8:30 kickoff on Saturday. We at the SFS also had to pay our own transport to the game, the Balmain/St George crowd had the benefit of an all inclusive ticket.

What is the NRL saying about the Single Team City's crowd figures?

The NRL is running a 'whinging Manly' campaign to detract from the woeful crowd in Melbourne.

The Who said:
swoop said:

You are absolutely right that the NRL can simple keep saying that we voted for it. I hope who that genius was is no longer making decisions for the club.
However, the decision should be reviewed, and Manly (and others adversely affected) should propose a change for next season when the clubs all meet for the annual gab-fest.

I agree but don't do it through the media. Des aired his concerns in his post-match interview and that is where it should have stopped, other than to pick up the phone and speak to the NRL directly or bring it up when they have their next gab-fest.

swoop said:

Swoop my understanding of the situation is that clubs voted to play semi finals at the bigger grounds on the understanding that it would occour when 2 Sydney based teams play each other.

When it became fairly obvious that our opponents would likely be the Cowboys, Knights or Warriors and we would still have to play there the club wasn't happy.

And as it turns out, the NRL were wrong and again won't admit it.

A professional organisation would say "We should have a look at that one! I can see there is an issue."

The NRL however bunkers down and won't even admit there are issues.

It just shows the reactive, crisis management style the League has adopted. They need more than an independent commission, we need a fresh CEO and some vision for the good of the game!!!

Yes the NRL stuffed up, but this was agreed upon before a ball was kicked off this year. Where were all the fans? I thought everyone would of still gone and supported the team. Obviously hard for our inter state fans.

Fonz said:
swoop said:

Swoop my understanding of the situation is that clubs voted to play semi finals at the bigger grounds on the understanding that it would occour when 2 Sydney based teams play each other.

When it became fairly obvious that our opponents would likely be the Cowboys, Knights or Warriors and we would still have to play there the club wasn't happy.

And as it turns out, the NRL were wrong and again won't admit it.

If that was the case then fine, but I think you'll find it was for all finals games.

Canteen Worker said:
A professional organisation would say "We should have a look at that one! I can see there is an issue."

The NRL however bunkers down and won't even admit there are issues.

It just shows the reactive, crisis management style the League has adopted. They need more than an independent commission, we need a fresh CEO and some vision for the good of the game!!!

A professional club would also pick up the phone and air their concerns rather than antagonize them. They are still pissed off the the Brett saga and the brawl so don't expect any sympathy coming our way.

Kiwi Eagle said:
So David says you can't give some Sydney teams home advantage and not others

What are you doing at the moment then dickhead !!
Dont worry Kiwi Eagle , The Eagles will get their own JUSTICE in the end as what matters most is not WHERE we play them or WHO we will play its HOW we will play and the way we are playing at the moment NO ONE WILL BEAT US.

Its just not fair that Brisbane and Melbourne get the possibility to play all semis at their home ground but we are denied the same luxury.

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

Half pregnant solutions like the current NRL system really annoy me. Either make them all neutral venues (ANZ) or treat all clubs the same (home ground choice until GF).

silvertail said:
Its just not fair that Brisbane and Melbourne get the possibility to play all semis at their home ground but we are denied the same luxury.

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

Half pregnant solutions like the current NRL system really annoy me. Either make them all neutral venues (ANZ) or treat all clubs the same (home ground choice until GF).

You do have to remember that Melbourne and Brisbane ect have to play in Sydney in the GF which is a disadvantage to them. There is no perfect way to grow the game and keep it completely fair imo.

I still think commonsense should be used in situations like our game against the Cowboys but that being said we really should have got more then 20k to a semi regardless of where its being played in Sydney.

I always wonder about these signed off documents. If they dont sign is it a condition of the grant, or was it signed off under the illusion it would bring the game more money. If it hasnt achieved the result shouldnt it be voted on once more

The clubs have shown there flexability in helping the Brand achieve its plans but if it fails the clubs should get another look in

The question i suppose is why any club would sign away an advantage if it didnt have strings or conditions attached . They wouldnt so what was the sell by the nRL that made them curious enogh to consider this madness

The club should have gotten onto the front foot and really tried to push the attendance of the game by offering bus services from various locations for instance. The timing is also an issue. How does an NRL final get scheduled for 8.30pm????? Families were no chance of getting out to that game! With the game not kicking off until 8.50pm it didn't actually finish until almost 11pm, then enduring the queues out of the car park, it was well after midnight when i walked in the front door.

Anyone mentioning the NRL as making this mistake in this issue is wrong, its gallop. He is the one who pushed this and he is the one that has now flatly rejected re-assessing it.

He is a lawyer who is incapable of admitting wrong doings and it is most certainly in his make up to be arrogantly dismissive of others opinions and equally intractable when he deems its not in his (masters) interests.

Can you imagine if Penrith comes in top 4 and plays say Titans or Cowboys at Homebush in a final. It would be absolutely farcical. Or even more farcical plays at SFS.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6