Harvey Norman

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

codewana

Reserve Grader
I noticed something today and made a connection that I hadn't made before, so this might be really obvious to everyone else...

When the refs go to the video ref, the decision is shown on a screen with a big Harvey Norman advertisement on it. As fans, we have complained many times that the video referee is used way too much, so could it be that HN has a deal with the NRL with some clause about having to go to the video ref X amount of times in the game so that they are getting their money's worth? I wouldn't put it past the NRL to do something like that.

What annoys me is that they don't use the video ref enough.  Souffs first try would have been disallowed because of the obstruction to Stewart by Taylor.  I'm disappointed in most refereeing this season. 

DSM5 link said:
What annoys me is that they don't use the video ref enough.  Souffs first try would have been disallowed because of the obstruction to Stewart by Taylor.  I'm disappointed in most refereeing this season. 

The most disappointing thing about the refereeing is that its actually getting worse as the weeks roll by.

DSM5 link said:

It's interesting that you feel that way, DSM5. I think the video ref is overused if anything.

I started many a threads over at MWSE about my idea of how we could better use the video ref - I wonder what the brains trust over here feels about it.

Cody's Plan:
The video ref can rule on anything that can be seen on the screen. The only way the video referee can step in however, is when the captain of either team challenges the on-field referee's call.
To stop every single call being challenged, each team get's X number of challenges per half (similar to tennis - if correct, they get it back, if not, they are down to X-1 etc).

I really think this allows for a good balance of correct calls and stopped play. Thoughts?

The video ref should be used whenever a try is scored, unless it is clear cut, like with Luke's second try.  They should also tell the ref when a forward pass is thrown (especially in the sequence leading up to try).  They sit up high in the stand, have the use of technology, and forward passes are obvious to all, except it seems the 8 sets of eyes of the on-field officials...Stoppages in play don't faze me.  Short stoppages give time to discuss the play or have something to eat or drink. 

DSM5 link said:
Stoppages in play don't faze me.  Short stoppages give time to discuss the play or have something to eat or drink. 
... :) 

I wouldn't care so much about the stoppages of play if the video ref got it right most of the time. Going upstairs less frequently means that they have less opportunity to stuff up and also by only going there if a captain challenges means that we, as fans, can't get pissed off at the on field ref for not going upstairs.

Agree with the forward pass thing though.

The video ref gets it right more so than the idiots on the field.  'Captain's challenge' would mean the video ref gets to adjudicate anyway.  Forward passes are a blight on the game and surely they can be looked at by the 'man' upstairs.  two metre markings on the field would eliminate much of the arguements about 'camera angles etc....       

Sharks could complain more loudly this weekend. They had one disallowed and they didn't even go to the video. Had they done so, it was try-time.

What gets me is when the first showing clearly demonstrates a try, they have another five looks anyway.

In the end they need to be looking for reasons to award tries, not to disallow them.

I would also like video refs to have a quick look at potential strips etc whilst scrums are being packed and if wrong on the original decision to give the tip - to get the right decision. It wouldn't slow the game down at all.

Canteen I thought Gallen's 'no-try' was a double movement anyway.  Agree with you on strips.  That used to happen but they did away with it in the interests of a 'fast game'.  I don't mind them having five looks at a try.  From one angle Merritt looked like he had scored when he and Choc went for the ball in the in-goal, on a second look it was clearly not a try.  I just want them to get it right.  With a video look Luke's first try wouldn't have been awarded.  Glenn was clearly impeded.  Allow or disallow, I just want them to get it right.   

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6