Hard yards along road to big time

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Hard yards along road to big time

26 January 2008

http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/01/26/8431_sports.html

THEIR mission was to spend a week living the life of an NRL player but just the hard work part, with no big money perks.

And by the end of it, the 14 prospective Sea Eagles were worn out, but they knew how hard they needed to work to make it in the NRL.

The ambitious juniors, who came from all over Australia and New Zealand, were identified by Sea Eagles recruitment officers Noel Cleal and Dave Warwick at various schoolboy carnivals in 2007.

The process of having players on scholarships around the country is not a unique one all clubs do it. In fact, most clubs seem to afford to pour more money into it than Manly do.

But for the 14 players who were flown down to spend the week finding out just what an NRL player goes through each week, it's an invaluable experience.

"I'm absolutely tired at the end of it all, we're not used to it in the country," Tamworth-based Scott Blanch said.

"Where I'm from, you have two sessions a week that go for two hours and then you can just go home but here you train all day. Some afternoons we've had two-hour sessions at the end of it."

The squad also came to grips with the technological side of football, a field where Manly leads the NRL.

"It's important for their learning to see what an NRL player actually goes through each week," Warwick said.

"It gave them an insight on how we do our stats and technology."

It certainly proved to be an eye-opener for 16-year-old Corey Davis, who hails from Innisfail in the nation's north. "I've learned a lot this week, that's for sure," Corey said.

"We don't do a lot of that stuff up north, I never knew footy could be that technical.

"It's at a different level, that's for sure.

"And I never thought I'd be able to chat to Mick (Bani) but he told me to stick with football and said that the best thing he ever did was to stick with it.

"I know it might be a bit hard to move away from the family and all that, but he's shown it can be done."

Berkely I am wondering if you would like add these to the main site?

On the flipside, check this out:-

"Homegrown Talent"

AN impressive 13 of the starting 17 of Manly's Harold Matthews squad this year will be LOCAL juniors. So much for not giving locals a go.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

NICE !!

If you sign up on the main site and provide me the usernam you have signed up for I will set you up the account and give you instructions.

Awesome mate. Thank you

Dan link said:
If you sign up on the main site and provide me the usernam you have signed up for I will set you up the account and give you instructions.

Awesome mate. Thank you

already signed up

excellent, when logged in you should see a link that says "Submit News"

Basically just submit items through there. I will conitnue to work on a few account issues and then once I have sorted out I will make you a publisher, which essentially lets you add news and publish it immediately

Really appreciate it mateAlso anyone else interested keep letting me know

Dan

Canteen Worker link said:
Will they be any good?

Might get one or two NRL standard players out of them. Obviously the club thinks they all have a bit of talent, and they've impressed somewhere along the line but at that age it's generally too hard to tell. They could go either way - and I guess Manly have thrown a few dollars at them (probably not much at all) to make sure that if they go the right way, that they'll stick with Manly.

At any rate you're unlikely to hear about any of them for another 12 months when they'll be trying out for Manly's under 20 side and that sort of thing.

Don't bother Will. He's just arguing because his feminine gene has kicked in yet again. Once a bitch...you know how it goes.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4