Hands Up Who Likes Boxing?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

RiverEagle

Bencher
So this is, unusually, my very first personal thread.

I suppose it's a little easier to launch one's own subject in these less frequented waters.

Anyway. I'm a closet boxing fan, and a newly converted UFC fan too, this past year.

Right now I have two upcoming fights I'm keenly anticipating.

Firstly, my favourite foreign boxer - Saul ''Canelo'' Alvarez finally takes on big-mouth Erislandy Lara - tomorrow our time. Saturday night in the US.

I'm fighting with myself whether to fork out PPV on Main Event...
As much as I'd like to see the fight, even $30 can be a waste on an event that could be over in a New York minute!

This young man Canelo though is something else. Turned pro at 15 with the usual rags to attempted glory and riches story, fighting to get himself and his extended family out of the Mexican poverty we rarely hear much about.

15 is ridiculously young to turn pro.

He's 23 now; and was undefeated in approx 30 fights, until losing on points to Floyd Mayweather after 12 gruelling rounds a year ago.

He's a class act. Exciting, honourable and extremely likeable.
And I want him to reignite his career in beating this trash-talker Lara tomorrow!

And I want to see it but, as I said, can't quite see whether the outlay is worth the risk of a short ''event''.

The other fight of my two-hander is even more important...Our own Daniel Geale fighting Godolvkin. But I've just realized that deserves an individual thread!

Not sure there are many fight fans here on Silvertails, anyway; but I guess I may get some idea now.

:cool:

RE: Two Hands

I like boxing though I am not really up on it anymore. can't do it but certainly interested in reading other's comments. Because then I can stream good matches.

Maybe you should've titled the thread.....boxing (?)

I altered the title then.

Not expecting much feedback, but that's OK.

I boxed very briefly training for footy a LONG time ago.

You get a very different perspective - and respect - for blokes that do it for a living.

I've got til 10am tomorrow to order this event.

I like boxing and have followed the main events for years. I have starting only watching after they get in the ring.
Seeing palookas with 1-4 records in 4 round bouts dance down the aisle to eye of a tiger followed by 20 sycophants just pisses me off.

Yeah there's 90% nonsense mate, always has been; probably always will be.

The rare occasions you get a worthwhile, even honourable bout, makes them all the more important to savour.

I take it in small doses. Can't stand the trash-talk and self-promotion (such as Mundane).

That's why I like Canelo; and especially our own, Daniel Geale. He makes up for the malarkey ten-fold!

Massive test for Daniel though.

Golovkin is a bomb-thrower.

(His fight's in 2 weeks/ PPV again).

RiverEagle said:
That was epic SER8!

Kostya was an awesome fighter, for sure.

Another one who let his deeds do the talking!

I was a big fan a Kostya! His work ethic and obv skill made me enjoy his boxing a lot.

I really really liked that Jadah bout based on all the trash talking he did for weeks leading up to it....and Kostya said nothing.

Great that kostya never gave him a rematch either!

In case I didn't mention it.....big fan!

edit: Another clip of the knockout without the 5 mins of some bogan shelia singing beforehand!

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o7A3rMN6Co[/video]

Lol, Kostya was a favourite of mine too.
But I chose that clip as it neatly sums up pro boxing.
3 parts show biz, 1 part primal courage and physical skill, and 1 part humiliation and pain.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Lol, Kostya was a favourite of mine too.
But I chose that clip as it neatly sums up pro boxing.
3 parts show biz, 1 part primal courage and physical skill, and 1 part humiliation and pain.

Of course, and spot-on too.

It's an often brutal and embarrassing circus, no doubt.

Also emphasized why I probably won't fork out 30 bucks for the fight today!

As much as I hope Canelo disposes of Lara similarly, you could blink and miss it.

UFC is run so much better than boxing. If you dodge a fight you lose your belt or shot at the title. For the most you don't hand pick your opponent a la Mundine. The judging is transparent and rarely bought into question.

manlyfan76 said:
UFC is run so much better than boxing. If you dodge a fight you lose your belt or shot at the title. For the most you don't hand pick your opponent a la Mundine. The judging is transparent and rarely bought into question.

I agree.

I've rapidly become a fan of UFC this past year.

There's always the requisite grand-standing and talk, but far less shady and convoluted machinations.

Like or loathe the boss, Dana White, he's a brilliant entrepeneur and businessman.

Yes it can be confronting. No-one forces you to get in the Octagon!

And the ladies can have a go too! I'm a fan of Rhonda Roussey.

RiverEagle said:
That was epic SER8!

My mate's and I used to meet up at Seagulls Rugby League club and drink all night to stay up watching Kostya fight.... Great days to be sure!!

One of our fitness coaches at the Jets wanted me to quit footy and take up the sweet science after watching me blue on the field and work/spar in the gym... My parents said no. I respected my parents wishes and it's probably a good thing... Copped enough concussion related issues since quitting footy in the 90's, and my idea of defense was "take a few to land a few" lol :)

Loved the training though, something very cleansing about pounding the dust out of a bag, or firing shots at target mitts or even just crunching out sit ups/push ups. Footy/cricket being team sports built those wonderful feelings of being one of the boys, winning/losing together... But boxing was just you and an opponent: pure and simple.

KOMORI said:
RiverEagle said:
That was epic SER8!

My mate's and I used to meet up at Seagulls Rugby League club and drink all night to stay up watching Kostya fight.... Great days to be sure!!

One of our fitness coaches at the Jets wanted me to quit footy and take up the sweet science after watching me blue on the field and work/spar in the gym... My parents said no. I respected my parents wishes and it's probably a good thing... Copped enough concussion related issues since quitting footy in the 90's, and my idea of defense was "take a few to land a few" lol :)

Loved the training though, something very cleansing about pounding the dust out of a bag, or firing shots at target mitts or even just crunching out sit ups/push ups. Footy/cricket being team sports built those wonderful feelings of being one of the boys, winning/losing together... But boxing was just you and an opponent: pure and simple.

Yeah, old father time beats us all in the end mate!

I just relented and ordered the Canelo v Lara fight.

It's streaming now, officially starting at 11am.

I just hope I haven't jinxed Canelo!

KOMORI said:

that and the bilambil jets are nancy's!!! :p

go the mustangs!!!!!

*I haven't yet gotten into the ufc.....I'm still kinda trying to get past the feeling that it always seems to end up with 2 sweaty guys wrestling on the floor.

globaleagle said:
KOMORI said:

go the mustangs!!!!!

*I haven't yet gotten into the ufc.....I'm still kinda trying to get past the feeling that it always seems to end up with 2 sweaty guys wrestling on the floor.

THAT is the one element that I don't like, too.

They fortunately sometimes make em stand up again, if no-one is getting anywhere. Not often enough. It's a defence for those that are trying to survive, not win.

It can be effective, and a strength (for those skilled in submissions).

But yeah, not as visually ''pleasing'' as the ladies...

:p

globaleagle said:
KOMORI said:

go the mustangs!!!!!

Ha back in the Group 18 days (the finest regional league of them ALL!!) the 'Stangs were our bitches ;)

Tell ye what though... You ALWAYS knew you were in for a tough game of footy heading to Murbah back in the day... Hard lads... and great blokes too :)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4