Halfway there

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SilentBob

Bencher
Round 13 is over, we are halfway through the season, we've hit first place for the first time this season, plenty of time to review things, teams have pretty much shown their true colours, where is the season headed?

I don't think we have been anywhere near as impressive as we were this time last year but I'm a lot more confident in where the team is headed, provided we don't come up against Melbourne away from Brookvale I'm confident going in to any game.

Josh Perry has been the major difference IMO, I hated him before like most Manly fans would have, he's now one of my favourites, he has turned our great forward pack in to a dominating one.

At the football club AGM Zorba said they lost the Grand Final specifically because of a lack of size in the forwards - Perry was targeted to overcome that - I agree he has be great.  Loved his tackle on Minichello to force a drop out in the first half

we're going ok. 2 wins behind where we were last year, but one spot better off.

we're hitting our straps slowly.....Glenn, Choc, Kite, Bell, Ox, Lyon all had slow starts to the season, but we are hitting our straps and if we can come out the other side of origin without dropping a game, we'll be in fine shape.

add Kingy back to the rotation... hopefully KITE KING PERRY ARE ALL IN ROTATION IN THE FRONT ROW... not moving Kite to 2nd row.

I'm feeling the same as i did last year, neither more disappointed or happier. On the positive side however is the fact that Storm have lost a few more games which has evened up the comp

Storm have lost two games due to Origin. They are still the benchmark. However the big issue is who will be in the top 4 and what form will we be in for September. Two comps - 1) Getting to the semis 2) what you do once you get there!!!

The Wheel link said:
At the football club AGM Zorba said they lost the Grand Final specifically because of a lack of size in the forwards - Perry was targeted to overcome that - I agree he has be great.  Loved his tackle on Minichello to force a drop out in the first half

It is not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.

Jason King is big enough but lacks the killer required to take him to the next level and win us a grand final.  So does Kite and Glen Stewart. 

It has been the same story with manly for years.  Soft forwards.  They only won a premiership when they bought John O'neil from souths and Kevin Ward from the UK (to add to Rambo Gibbs).

King gets cranky on sporadic occassions. Maybe he comes on here every now & again, reads the criticism, & takes it out on whoever we play next.

I feel as confident as I did last year during the season. manly deserve all their victories as they would have beaten Brisbane and Roosters without origin, but I agree Melbourne are the benchmark again.
What I find most interesting is that despite the absence of stars (note to the origin snub), this team has the best attacking record in the competition. This shows the team has something and we can score points grinding teams to death rather than simply being flashy.
Good stuff so far.

It was pretty bad in the first few weeks though CW. Lyon had a fantastic game against the Rooters, some of the things he did were unbelievable! That pass he took from Beaver had everyone going "where's the ball gone?" and the catch and pass he did to put Robbo through was amazing. We look a lot better attacking than we did two months ago.

Cletus link said:
It was pretty bad in the first few weeks though CW. Lyon had a fantastic game against the Rooters, some of the things he did were unbelievable! That pass he took from Beaver had everyone going \"where's the ball gone?\" and the catch and pass he did to put Robbo through was amazing. We look a lot better attacking than we did two months ago.
Good point Cletus. My point is that we made the grand final in 2007 and our game didn't just disappear. There was no need for panic, though many of us on this site are hard markers with high expectations.

Nothing wrong with being a hard marker and having high expectations CW.  And Zorba's an idiot if he thinks the only reason we lost last years GF is because our forwards weren't big enough.  The real reason is that nobody turned up for the game with the stomach to win the thing, full stop.  Tookey and Jatz have a good point in regards to soft forwards.  The Storm is the yardstick in that regard and if we are to go with them then somebodies long kicking game will have to improve and our play the balls will have to speed up.   

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4