Half & five-eighth defence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rexx

Reserve Grader

Here's the 2006 sorted number of tackles per game performed by each team's half & five-eighth:
33 Burns (Manly)
25 Withers (Canberra)
24 Ropati (Warriors)
23 Smith J (Canberra)
22 Dykes (Cronulla)
21 Morris (Eels)
21 Kimmorley (Cronulla)
21 Finch (Roosters)
20 Gidley (Newcastle)
19 Smith T (Eels)
19 Holdsworth (Bulldogs)
17 Sutton (Souths)
17 Seymour (Brisbane)
17 Hill (Melbourne)
16 Johns (Newcastle)
16 Fien (Warriors)
16 Anasta (Roosters)
15 Prince (Tigers)
14 Gower (Panthers)
13 Thurston (Cowboys)
13 Orford (Manly)
13 Lockyer (Brisbane)
13 Cronk (Melbourne)
12 Sherwin (Bulldogs)
12 Barrett (Dragons)
11 Firman (Cowboys)
10 Walker (Souths)
10 Marshall (Tigers)
6 Head (Dragons)
5 Campbell (Panthers)

And here's the sorted percentage of 2006 effective to attempted tackles for each team's half & five-eighth:
93% Finch (Roosters)
90% Morris (Eels)
86% Smith J (Canberra)
86% Ropati (Warriors)
86% Anasta (Roosters)
84% Holdsworth (Bulldogs)
84% Dykes (Cronulla)
83% Smith T (Eels)
81% Marshall (Tigers)
81% Gidley (Newcastle)
81% Burns (Manly)
80% Cronk (Melbourne)
79% Johns (Newcastle)
78% Orford (Manly)
78% Firman (Cowboys)
77% Thurston (Cowboys)
77% Gower (Panthers)
76% Withers (Canberra)
76% Walker (Souths)
76% Sherwin (Bulldogs)
74% Sutton (Souths)
73% Fien (Warriors)
72% Prince (Tigers)
72% Hill (Melbourne)
72% Barrett (Dragons)
70% Lockyer (Brisbane)
69% Seymour (Brisbane)
68% Head (Dragons)
67% Kimmorley (Cronulla)
63% Campbell (Panthers)

Reference: Rehash of stats in today's herald representing 2006 season.

What are your conclusions on player defence, team tactics & the relationship between these stats & the players' total performance, including attack?

It's worth noting that teams deliberately target certain players with supposed defensive weaknesses. Teams will find out that will not work with Burns and there is no need to hide him in a line in the manner used by Penrith and Tigers with Preston and Benji.

I dont know what to make of that Rexx except Burns' miss ratio would be higher because his is attempting more tackles than say a player like Marshall or Campbell.

I haven't really seen any weakness in our halves defence.

Interestingly Gould said on the Sunday roast about halves defence it that the majority of them are sound 1 on 1 defenders but they tend to miss tackles when they are in a position of being unsure of what side the player will run at them. eg they will have tackle with their arms not their body. They are not as strong in that area as bigger guys and therefore tend to drop off tackles.

He said the key to good defence from the halves or smaller men was a good defensive structure and communication so the halfback doesn't get caught being unsure of who to tackle or what line the player will run at them.

You're misreading the table, Wheel.

The first table lists total tackles & the second shows effective tackle percentages, not missed tackle percentages. So Burns featuring at or near the top of both is a good thing.

Your observation about lack of weaknesses in our halves defence is consistent with these stats

I dont know what to make of that Rexx except Burns' miss ratio would be higher because his is attempting more tackles than say a player like Marshall or Campbell.
I haven't really seen any weakness in our halves defence.

As Hasler said in the article teams will soon realise Burns is not a weakness and not send as much traffic his way. They are just trying to test him as he is new on the scene and is quite a small fella!!!!

The opposing players don't always run at him. Burns regularly comes in as a 2nd or 3rd tackler.

Preston Campbell averages 5 tackles a game and only 63% of those are effective :blaugh: :blaugh: :blaugh:

I look forward to our first game against the goldcoast

For Burns to be the highest tackler out of the 30 halves and the 5/8ths in the comp is fantastic . For him to beat the next best of these 30 players by more than 30% shows an incredible work ethic and also shows Des' confidence in him. Clearly, unlike most halves in the comp he is not being shielded by Des.

Despite this high workload, his proportion of completed tackles places him near the top as well. This is a testiment to his fitness, defensive ability and to the defensive structure.

Most halves would have their attack deadened by this workload. Whilst Travis started out tentatively, I do not get a sense of this with Travis. Increasingly, he sprints in attack and sprints at charge-downs as well. Must be v. fit. Maybe another Des in the making in terms of fitness.

Travis' inclusion is one factor in Manly's improved defence this year.

The real significance of Burns making a whopping 8 more tackles per game than his nearest competitor is that Orford is making very little tackles per game. This means he has more energy when it comes to attacking.

the only reason hes still in first grade is because of his defence. Great defender and lots of balls for a little fella.

Its great having him and Orford in the halves as they can tackle.. and Monas at hooker.

Were pretty sound all over defensively.. hence why were having our best year in defence so far.

the only reason hes still in first grade is because of his defence.
I can't agree with that Kaza. Burns scored a super try against the Rorters stepping a few noted defenders and we are starting to see our outside backs get good ball. His passing game is adequate without being flash but he has heaps of improvement in him and will develop as the Orford partnership grows.

Preston's a well-known turnstile and he's being well shielded.

But he's not the only one that might be considered pretty easy targets. Some big names:
Head 6 tackles, 68%
Kimmorley 21 tackles, 67%
Barrett 12 tackles, 72%
Lockyer 13 tackles, 70%

Interesting reading for where to run your attack. Surprising that these defensive deficiencies from name players don't get more press.

Preston Campbell averages 5 tackles a game and only 63% of those are effective :blaugh: :blaugh: :blaugh:

I look forward to our first game against the goldcoast

I dont think Burns is there soley for his defence.

He provides a good back up for Orford with his kicking/passing & running game. Sure it may not be the best going around but it provides us with more options. Burns may take the wrong option here and there and make the odd bad kick but he is young and learning. imo some of his kicks have been brilliant and he is always the first down the other end chasing. He has really surprised me this season.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7