Hagnay/Roosters betting

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
She must really hate Rugby League, because she seems to get no enjoyment at all out of it. This week we have seen her have yet another nudge at the Sharks, put together an article about what a terrible year it has been for league, and after a night where we saw a new record set for a non grand final NRL match, she can only produce a negative, unsubstantiated article the next day about the Roosters

Eamonn Duff, Jessica Halloran and Jacquelin Magnay | September 26, 2009

THE Sydney Roosters are bracing for a police investigation into an alleged betting scam surrounding the rugby league club's last home game of the season.
A bitter split has emerged at the eastern suburbs club over the circumstances of the round 26 game between the Roosters and the North Queensland Cowboys at the Sydney Football Stadium.
Bookmakers suspended betting three times before the game after a splurge of bets backed the Cowboys to win by more than 13 points. Extraordinarily, there was little interest in a straight Cowboys win.
The Herald is aware of one punter who outlaid $1500 after hearing, through Roosters associates, that a 13-point-plus loss was ''a sure thing''. He cashed in after the Roosters surrendered a 16-0 half-time lead to lose 32-16.
In the weeks since the September 6 game, players have been pointing fingers at each other and ostracising some teammates.
They are furious that a small group of Roosters ''celebrated'' the loss by visiting a brothel and enjoying the free services of prostitutes.
One player openly accused a teammate of getting some kind of kickback. ''I'm aware that several of the players have been up there [to the brothel] on a weekly basis throughout the year.
''On occasions they are receiving free services. I don't know why or how that works. Why you would want to involve yourself in those types of circles when you are a professional sportsman, I do not know.''
The player told the Herald he was stunned by claims within the club that results were being manipulated. But on reflection, he noted there was one player ''who would do it'', adding several others were young and impressionable. ''Now, looking back, I can't say that it didn't happen.''
Questions have been raised about several games but it is the circumstances surrounding the final home game that has everyone talking.
On the morning of the match, The Sun-Herald revealed that the nation's biggest sports agency, TAB Sportsbet, had suspended betting because of the weight of money on the Cowboys winning by more than 13 points.
''We've got a lot of worries about the betting activity on this game,'' a TAB spokesman, Glenn Munsie, said at the time.
Sources close to the club claim there has been an arrangement in place for several years involving a Roosters scout who offers to supplement the wages of younger players with bonus payments in order to aid exotic bets.
The source said that because those requests were not intended to alter the end result (rather influencing the losing margins or the half-time result), it was easier to draw the youngsters in.

''It's been happening for years. You can take it as being 120 per cent,'' he said.
The Roosters chief executive, Steve Noyce, said if every rumour in the code was investigated it would be a full-time job and that was not really the club's function.
''Brothels are legal. I am not aware of any specific allegation that any Roosters people are owed favours,'' he said. ''The bookies were stung and suddenly the talk is that players are throwing games.''
Under NRL rules it is illegal for players and officials to be involved in betting. It is also incumbent on anyone with information to come forward.
The NRL chief executive, David Gallop, said the NRL had initiated some early inquiries about the match - the only time it had done so all season - but did not have sufficient information to launch an investigation.
''If there was information, of course we would look at it and we would expect co-operation from the authorities.''
NSW police are adamant that nobody within their ranks has officially contacted the club and that a complaint from the public has not been lodged.
But the Herald understands at least one senior Roosters official has received a phone call from someone claiming to be from the police and warning them that players could be quizzed.

I'd like to think the club would quiz some players themselves about their form over the season.  Shaun Kenny Dowell would be the first one I'd go to.  If there was ever a player who could play like an international one minute, and then stuff up simple plays the next, it was him.  It'll be interesting to see Smith deal with these 'inconsistent' players.  

Smith is a coach with a reputation for being able to change a negative culture in a club, I guess the Roosters didn't choose him by accident.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
Smith is a coach with a reputation for being able to change a negative culture in a club, I guess the Roosters didn't choose him by accident.
he just cant win grand finals
dumb ****

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that article.  We've had some of the best finals footy in years and it barely makes the front page.  The rugby league community should seriously think about boycotting SMH in 2010 for the crap they've dished out this year.  It's not fair and balanced journalism at all and half the reason this year appeared so bad was because they like to blow everything out of proportion.  The thing I don't understand is why they get that hack on the footy show.

Did anyone see the game in question?

I remember a similar drama years ago featuring souths (and a certain player in particular of particular interest to manly fans). some clips of questionable missed tackles were circulating with the story. And they looked very questionable indeed.

frankly I'd be surprised if rugby league was completely free of pressure from dodgy gamblers.

I saw it IMT and you should refer to my earlier post on this thread.  SKD was very good in the first half and just horrible in the second.  How any self respecting coach could have left him out there beggars belief. 

Ian Martin tragic link said:
I remember a similar drama years ago featuring souths (and a certain player in particular of particular interest to manly fans).

That was a very dodgy game wasn't it.... It was Souths v Northern Eagles, right? Shane Walker gave away a penalty in front of the sticks and Ben Walker took the two points, after there had been a considerable plunge on Manly penalty goal as the first bet.....

souths manly 2003 at brookie wetest day ever at the footy

beaver got sin binned

DSM5, Sean Kenny-Dowall plays like that all the time: brilliance followed a moment later by some idiotic foul up. Maybe he is the master deceiver and not just incredibly erratic.

the souths-northern eagles game 2003 I remember now; but I was casting furhter back to the 90s. A certain halfback for souths (and later manly and the tigers) was under the spotlight, along with tricky Trindall.

DSM5, Sean Kenny-Dowall plays like that all the time: brilliance followed a moment later by some idiotic foul up. Maybe he is the master deceiver and not just incredibly erratic.

the souths-northern eagles game 2003 I remember now; but I was casting furhter back to the 90s. A certain halfback for souths (and later manly and the tigers) was under the spotlight, along with tricky Trindall.
dood we were manly in 03

we were manly playing as the Northern Eagles in 2002 (norths were gone and had f all to do with it)

Why you'd pay Souths to lose is beyond me. I remember hearing something about it and Souths were outsiders for the game and had little chance even if there wasn't a fix.

I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen in the NRL, but like these allegations it would be more about the point spread rather than the head to head betting. It wouldn't be hard to do for the players either, it's not hard to miss a tackle on the line or drop the ball.

Cletus link said:
Why you'd pay Souths to lose is beyond me. I remember hearing something about it and Souths were outsiders for the game and had little chance even if there wasn't a fix.

I don't think the suggestion was that Souths were paid to lose, the suggestion was that the Walker brothers conspired to make sure that "Manly Penalty Goal" was the first scoring play of the match. That was the rumour before the game, and certainly the suggestion after they were both involved in the penalty etc.

But I believe there was an investigation into the matter which amounted to nothing...so make of that what you will....

Beating my chest in penance for saying northern eagles in 03, Cliffy.

re. dodgy plays, yes it would be all about various spread betting options like first penalty goal, or losing margins. as in the cricket match fixing, these are easier to manage and to conceal.

players who think that this is not damaging the integrity of the whole game are of course kidding themselves. to be playing a game with these things in mind is already to completely corrupt the contest.

Dan must be away to let this thread go for so long.

you boys are asking for trouble with some of the comments in here. Defamation can be a lucrative business.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2