Hagan backs Smith in his NRL return

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Zep

Bencher
Former Parramatta coach Michael Hagan has backed former NRL Rookie of the Year Tim Smith to return to the NRL next season better than ever.

Smith, who has signed a two-year deal to play for Easts Brisbane in the Queensland Cup, has spent the pre-season with Brisbane Broncos and is earmarked as a potential long-term replacement for veteran five-eighth Darren Lockyer.

And Hagan believes the 24-year-old can be a success if he puts his off-field troubles behind him after he quit the NRL in 2008 after being diagnosed as bipolar following a series off-field indiscretions.

A stint with English Super League club Wigan did not work out for Smith, who returned to Australia midway through a two-year deal but Hagan believes being away from the Sydney spotlight will benefit the talented playmaker.

"His ability can never be questioned and if he has a few things resolved in his private life and can use his time in the Queensland state comp to get himself mentally and physically strong he can return to the level he was at three years ago," Hagan said.

Smith was compared to Eels great Peter Sterling, and Hagan, who was his coach when he left Parramatta, said he should make the most of his second opportunity with the Broncos and said he should benefit being away from Sydney.

"A lot of his dramas were in Sydney and I guess being away could help, but Brisbane is still a pretty big place and footy players there are high profile, but being a Queensland boy and having family up there will be a big help to him," he said.

"If they can get him fit and playing he will be a hell of a signing for Brisbane and will give them some real depth in the halves especially during State of Origin time when they lose so many players."

Hagan is also tipping Timana Tahu to pick up from where he left off when he returns to the NRL after an unsuccessful two-year stint in rugby union with NSW Waratahs.

He is well qualified to assess Tahu as he coached the 30-year-old at both Newcastle and Parramatta.

"I think at the back of end of 2007 season Timana was arguably one of the best players in the game," he said.

"His performance in our semi-final against Melbourne in a losing side was fantastic, he was probably the best player on the field that day."

Hagan also disputes claims from some critics that Tahu's injury-ravaged time in the 15-man game will make him less of a player.

"By all accounts he is working hard in training and hopefully he can put all of that behind him," he said.

"In some ways he will be fitter because he has not played too many games, it could increase the length of his career.

"I firmly believe he can come back better than he was as he is a class player."

http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latestnews/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/57402/hagan-backs-smith-in-his-nrl-return/default.aspx

Manly would have done well to sign him IMHO.

Keep his head straight and he will be a good signing. Living in Brisbane will mean he will be closer to his family which is good.

+ $0.02

Zep link said:
\"A lot of his dramas were in Sydney and I guess being away could help, but Brisbane is still a pretty big place and footy players there are high profile,

http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latestnews/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/57402/hagan-backs-smith-in-his-nrl-return/default.aspx

In comparison, Sydneys northern beaches would seem to me to be a better place for those footballers who need to stay out of trouble.

By not venturing over the spit, players could enjoy a more relaxed remoteness than anywhere in the city of Brisbane. Brisbane is full of drunk rednecks & potential trouble for high profile players.

Jatz Crackers link said:
[quote author=Zep link=topic=182180.msg247660#msg247660 date=1261008162]

\"A lot of his dramas were in Sydney and I guess being away could help, but Brisbane is still a pretty big place and footy players there are high profile,

In comparison, Sydneys northern beaches would seem to me to be a better place for those footballers who need to stay out of trouble.

By not venturing over the spit, players could enjoy a more relaxed remoteness than anywhere in the city of Brisbane. Brisbane is full of drunk rednecks & potential trouble for high profile players.
[/quote]

Northern Beaches????????

Manly is one of the worst places in Sydney for troublemakers.

Mona Vale, the Rock & the Sands are full of posers and all the rest of the places are full of surfie bogans & "gangstas" (word).

It's as bad as anywhere these days. I would think that the inner west or Eastern Suburbs would be cruisiest lifestyle to avoid d1ckheads trying to start things.

I don't think drugs are the issue. If they want to take them, they will.
That's their own decision to make. It's what's not in their control that is the issue.
They need to avoid idiots who want to go them. The Beaches seems to be d1ckhead central these days, with the right mix of wankers & bogans to keep everyone on edge.

Fortitude Valley and in & around Brisbane seems worse to me.

Players that train at Narrabeen, do the card nights ala Beaver, and keep away from Sydney city/K Cross should find themselves in way less trouble from redneck drunken wannabies.

Smith was, and will always be, crap.  He could always be relied on to take the poor option, especially when attacking the line.  Sort of like someone else I remember.  Hagan is touted as a 'supercoach' these days.  Did nothing with Parramatta and only got to look good because Johns was on crack and they had a good roster.

Yeh I'm no big wrap on Tim Smith either. Has his moments but also has some shockers in his decision making. Doesn't really threaten when taking on the line so the defense is rarely in two minds with him, you know he will pass or kick 95% of the time. Be interested in how he goes at the Broncos, he might turn out to be a good buy yet, but I'm not sorry we didn't chase him.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6