Gutherson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
I went on record saying a few weeks ago that Gutherson was miles from being ready to play first grade.Aplogies for that as obviously the staff don't agree. Im sure that was him warming up last night.

We are falling like nine pins at the moment so will be interesting to see how he goes as he looks like being next in line given our wafer thin backline stocks and will probably play in coming weeks.

Susan. There are three players who could become true stars of the future in the Manly lower ranks at this stage...maybe more but not for a year or two. But at this stage its Sao, Trbojevic and Gutherson. Hiku also has great potential.

But are they ready for first grade. Hiku is and will get better after his fist few games. What I've seen of Sao, I think he is ready and could add something to the Manly side, though I wouldnt expect him to dominate for a year or two. Trbovejic is consistently the best forward in U20s team and in the last match made over 170 mts, over twice that of the next best player. He is consistently the best metre gainer. I think though he is still a little behind Sao at this stage though I think he'd acquit himself satisfactorily in first grade. But like Sao, it will take a few years before he becomes the dominant force I think he can become. I think Sao and Trbojevic will form Manly's future front row if Manly hold onto them.

Gutherson is a very talented young back with good speed and swerving ability. He has Stewart's talent of knowing when to chime into the attack and likes to get involved. He's actually talented enough to play five eighth, because he does have the talent also to put players through the gap. He's not greedy. But he is a bit of a bean pole at this stage and bigger players can get the better of him. I think he'd perform OK in firsts but wouldnt stand out at this stage and is likely to be mauled by some of the bigger players. I think his year will be 2014.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Agree totally with that.Jordan Rankin is a classic example of letting them come in too early with no physical presence. He was going to be a superstar,played at 16 in first grade and 2 weeks ago he got the shepherds hook midway through a Burleigh Bears game.

possible issue with Jake T is that he is dominating boys, look at Stromquist, same thing and now is off to the wilderness, flip side is Klemmer for the dogs (not dominating but not getting smashed as a 19 year old).

Gutherson is certainly pegged for big things and may be just an injury away, we also have Gagan in reggies as well who could go well in first grade.

Was at the game and saw gutherson warming up and the kid can play and has a lot of skill. But he needs time to fill out as he would be rag dolled. He may get a jersey this year but I would be looking at 2014 and beyond. We do need some impact off the bench and perhaps SAO is the man.

Fluffy said:
possible issue with Jake T is that he is dominating boys, look at Stromquist, same thing and now is off to the wilderness, flip side is Klemmer for the dogs (not dominating but not getting smashed as a 19 year old).

Gutherson is certainly pegged for big things and may be just an injury away, we also have Gagan in reggies as well who could go well in first grade.

We must have been watching a different Stromquist. He was a massive plodder.

Jake T is miles ahead.

Volley said:
Fluffy said:

Jake T is miles ahead.

Completely agree, Volley. No comparison between the two.
As others have said, Gutherson needs a bit more size and Jake T is still growing. But they both have the potential to be exceptional players.

The young guys do look good in their current situations but for them to be up to the grind of nrl and the Manly way they will need 1-2 off seasons putting on 5 kgs each off season, but by then we will be without kite, king, joe, maybe Killer so I think we should be in the market for another prop. Maybe Gift can pack on some more beef and go to the front row :)

Volley said:
Fluffy said:

Jake T is miles ahead.

Obviously Fluffy and Volley, you numpties don't watch to much footy, as Stromquist has been OUT performing Manly forwards week in and week out playing for Wyong in the NSW CUP, but dont worry, you guys will get to see him dominate in 2 weeks time as Manly NSW CUP will return to the bottom of the competition ladder and be defeated by him and his side (Which is stacked with former Sea Eagles!) just for the record.

Well, you'll notice I said he was a massive plodder, "was" being the key word. Past tense.

I don't put myself through boring NSW Cup games, but it's good to hear you're going well Magnus. You've got a cool name at the least.

Volley said:
Well, you'll notice I said he was a massive plodder, "was" being the key word. Past tense.

I don't put myself through boring NSW Cup games, but it's good to hear you're going well Magnus. You've got a cool name at the least.

Obviously doesn't mind backing himself and isn't bitter at all... haha.

I've watched Gutherson play a few times now and I was expecting more more, I'm sorry to say. He did not live up to the wraps I've read on here. Yes, he's playing behind a team that struggles. And yes, he looks a good athlete. But I agree he is a fair way away from challenging for a first grade position.
Jake T, on the other hand, looks a real good 'un. He plays very tight and always seems hard to stop. I think he'll make the top grade before CG.

Volley said:

WOW, you are a wordsmith! Well Done... you Derek! As for boring NSW CUP games, thats your call, but unlike yourself, I'd rather watch the footy than the netball you must watch in your free time! ... And Magnus? me? so far from it Volley. Tim is my name, just fan of our junior and ex junior rising stars... should try it some time... so... as a big of a PLODDER I think you are, you should step out side and get your husband to give you another VOLLEY to the head.

Very clever.

I'd hope you're Magnus, or at the very least a blood relative. Stalkers like you potentially are have a history of causing harm to the subject of their infatuation.

To brutally honest, I don't think Magnus was ever going to make it to the NRL. Tried his guts out, but he was too undersized to be a prop and didn't have the agility/mobility to make it as a backrower.

IMO there is a huge different between what Magnus showed in toyota cup and what Jake has so far produced. Jake will be a star in the NRL, but I wouldn't be throwing him to the wolves for a few year yet.

As for winning games at the NSW cup level. Couldn't care less. I've said in numerous threads, lower grades should be about development, if they win then thats OK, but it should all be about getting players ready for first grade.

Masked Eagle said:
To brutally honest, I don't think Magnus was ever going to make it to the NRL. Tried his guts out, but he was too undersized to be a prop and didn't have the agility/mobility to make it as a backrower.

IMO there is a huge different between what Magnus showed in toyota cup and what Jake has so far produced. Jake will be a star in the NRL, but I wouldn't be throwing him to the wolves for a few year yet.

As for winning games at the NSW cup level. Couldn't care less. I've said in numerous threads, lower grades should be about development, if they win then thats OK, but it should all be about getting players ready for first grade.

Wouldn't winning games at a lower grades actually help with player development......

eagles2win said:
Masked Eagle said:

Wouldn't winning games at a lower grades actually help with player development......

Can play a part, but its not the be all and end all. Look at some of the real dominant teams in lower grades, the players reach first grade and they can't cope with the pressure because they've been doing it easy their entire career up til that point. A kid who plays in a team that does it tough every week might find the transition to first grade easier because he knows how to push himself.

I'm not saying winning isn't good, but it shouldn't be a priority. I'm sure we could pick some players who would make us more competitive in the NSW cup, but are you really going to give a player a spot in that team if you don't think they will be NRL standard over someone who might be? Clubs are doing more of this in recent times, having some players play in NSW cup even though they are still eligible for 20s. It costs them in 20s, and he might not be that much better than the older player he is replacing but its better for the players development and ultimately it should help the NRL team.

I would judge a successfull lower grade coach on how many of his players get better and graduate to the next level, not necessarily the amount of games they win.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4