Gus-Zero Tolerance.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Thought provoking piece from Gus today.

A line in the sand

Where does all this behaviour stuff end? As a game, we have for many years supported players to try to make a difference to them and their families. Personally, to those lads I have felt worthy of giving support and opportunity, I've bent over backwards to help them make a go of their careers and their private lives. This sometimes means giving these blokes a second chance (or many chances) after they have stepped out of line. As long as I believe they are trying to improve, I try to stick by them. Hell, I was no angel as a kid. I made my share of mistakes. It's an ongoing process and we are always dealing with a few like this in our clubs who require this extra attention. But sometimes they just wear you out. Just when you think you are getting somewhere, they disappoint you again; and for no justifiable reason. Many we protect, not because we think we should, but because no one would understand if we didn't. Others we find hard to adequately discipline because in many instances, the public persona they display to media and fans is far removed from what they are really like behind the scenes. Hero worship from those outside the club is often so badly misdirected. Sometimes you just want to scream the truth from the highest building. And every time we get another event like James Tamou, Blake Ferguson or George Burgess hitting the headlines, which significantly damages the image of the game and those who do the right thing, it makes you question if it's all worthwhile. Maybe it's time for zero tolerance. Take the game away from them. It should be a privilege being a professional sportsman. Players should treat the honour accordingly.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/what-were-the-booze-bros-thinking-20130618-2ogst.html#ixzz2Wb7ddnXG

It's far from zero tolerance in real life so why should it be any different in NRL. Although I agree after the first strike it should be zero!!!

I think players should only get one chance, the issue is the NRL would start losing good players to England.

or get better administration like the afl, this sort of stuff must happen with their players, they just handle the media etc way better

They almost need to restrict the players disposable income, have a maximum of say $1200 per week that they can spend and have the rest tied up until they are older.

Its no good having a no tolerance policy at an NRL club when all the junior clubs have to give the guys chance after chance and help to promote the bad ideals that these guys carry when they make the NRL and are earning $20,000 per week. Its hard to hold someone up as a role model when they have only ever been told YES and you are the best and have never had a consequence for any wrong action in their short lives.

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
Let he /she who didn't stuff up when they were young, dumb and cashed up cast the first stone.

Otherwise most deserve a chance or two, as we all probably got in our lives at some point. Most of the time you can tell which ones are prepared to learn from their mistakes. Of course there are the really stupid ones who just don't get it, and they make it hard for the rest.

Anyway it's a lovely sentiment from Gus, and it sounds really hard core and principled......but let's see how tolerant he is when it's the Penrith Panthers' best player who has stuffed up. I can see him reaching for the broom with one hand and lifting the edge of the rug with other

Has the cliche: "a line in the sand"
overtaken "one game at a time"?
I'm hearing it so often these days from RL officials and commentators.

The Who said:
Has the cliche: "a line in the sand"
overtaken "one game at a time"?
I'm hearing it so often these days from RL officials and commentators.

I often chuckle when a player / coach says "We're taking it one game at a time", it would be difficult to play two or three games at a time, but interesting to watch.

Did anyone else find his following comment just a little ironic

'Hero worship from those outside the club is often so badly misdirected'

gus has to be one of the worst offenders on this count

Look, it's all very simple. Gus is just trying to get a point across that in the position some clubs are in...they are damned if they do and damned if they don't discipline their players. There will never be a clear cut, black and white solution to players off field antics. That's his point, and he is correct. Each case has to be dealt with separate from all others.
Clubs should not be afraid to lay down the law to players with full backing by the players association, sponsors, the NRL, and the fans regardless of the player or his reputation or ability on field.

I absolutely have zero tolerance for Gus.He thinks he is above the game .I loathe the sound of his voice ..

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2