greatest sporting moments

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I was hoping she'd lose so there'd not be a lifetime of over the top hyperbole.  Anyways ..... 

On a different note, would anyone agree that the saturation of sport has somewhat diminished the potential for massively transcendant moments.  Perhaps not in all sport, but certainly in some.  For instance we all were up at 2am to watch the Meninga try in 1990 as a Kangaroo tour was a one in 4 year event.  Now I could barely be bothered to watch a replay of the Tri-nations.

Nutzcraw link said:
I think that's the first good point you've ever made mata... I agree
Agreed too.

On Freeman - Athletics medals are big as they are so hard to get. All the countries in the world do it. Trivia question for you - who was the last woman before Cathy Freeman to win Olympic Gold and who was the last man prior to Steve Hooker in the Pole Vault in Beijing?

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=182254.msg249073#msg249073 date=1263559009]
the greatest night of Athletics in history,
  LOL!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose there was no black fellow running in Berlin in 1936 then.
[/quote]

Double LOL !!!!! If fishing for bites on forums with outlandish statements was an Olympic event, you'd be Steve Redgrave.

C&C - you don't have to fish for bites from Mata. He bites first and asks questions later. Just look at his Anthony Mundane comments over the years. ;)

The Gronk link said:
Liverpool V West ham is more like most traumatic sporting moment as far as I am concerned Zep

As a third party watching that game it amazed me. West Ham scoring 2 of the strangest goals you have ever seen and the Captain Gerrard in the 91st minutes score from 30 yards to be it into over time at 3-3. CLASSIC!

Freeman's medal might be significant for Australians but in the world context it was inconsequential.  Just a small example, Bolt's efforts in 2008 (and 2009 for that mater) are far more significant.

Matabele link said:
Freeman's medal might be significant for Australians but in the world context it was inconsequential.  Just a small example, Bolt's efforts in 2008 (and 2009 for that mater) are far more significant.

Last time I looked most of us here are Australians (most of us), so it stands to reason that an Australian Olympic athletics gold medal would strike a chord. I don't think anyone is trying to compare Freeman with Bolt, as we are all smart enough to realise that it would be a sad comparison. Whilst not one of my most memorable sporting moments, I can quite easily understand why some people would rate Freemans gold medal run over some Jamaican poseur's questionably clean efforts.

I am surprised that Mata doesn't rate Freeman due to her aboriginality. That card seems to be the one played for Mundine each time and yet Cathy has achieved much more for her sport, her people and her country than he has ever done without half the talk, boasting and carrying on.

Yes, she did so much for her people when she reinforced the aboriginal stereotype on the world stage by discussing how all her people were drunk post-race.

Zep link said:
[quote author=The Gronk link=topic=182254.msg248943#msg248943 date=1263436182]
Liverpool V West ham is more like most traumatic sporting moment as far as I am concerned Zep

As a third party watching that game it amazed me. West Ham scoring 2 of the strangest goals you have ever seen and the Captain Gerrard in the 91st minutes score from 30 yards to be it into over time at 3-3. CLASSIC!
[/quote]

I hate you guys....worst game ever!

I was lucky enough to be there that night for the 400

Sure it was not a "classic win" like bolt etc but it was a great moment for Australia

After she won there was not a dry eye in the place....much like the penalty shoot out win (throw in 40-0 and you have my top three i have seen live)

Sure

The sporting moment i remember most from the 2000 Olympics would definately be the Australian 4x100m Freestyle Relay - Thorpes final leg was AMAZING!!!! Breaking the USA's dominance in that race. That is better than freemans win if you ask me.

a question on the same theme....

the three greatest sports events you have seen live (ex 40-0....)
1. 2006 World Cup Qual
2. Cathy Freeman
3. Aus v Argentina 1988 bicen gold cup (Charlie Yankos!)

And a close 4th was 61-0 against the saints....one of my brothers is a massive saints fans and we went together.....best part was when his car broke down outside the ground afterwards meaning he had to push me as i waved to the crowd....

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6