Greatest Ever Manly Team 2006

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
bob dylan said:
bones said:
bob dylan said:
When Brett scores 2000 points for Manly he can have Wombats jersey.

Eadie was a goal kicker, Brett isn't. Not a fair comparison.

Therefore not as skillful. No kicking game at all.

Eadie played over 230 games, Bretts 130 dont cut it for me, see me in 70 games time and I might consider him.

Same goes for Glenn compare to Vautin.

These places shouldnt be handed out on a whim, they need to be earned.

Just to take that argument of yours a step further then

Using that argument above, you would rate El Masri as 1 of the best wingers of all time ? Played a lots of matches, scored a lot of tries, and more skillful than Irvine and co because he booted the ball over the crossbar

No, thats plain stupid, if you read the whole thread you would of of read the following on the previous page.

"but goal kicking is to me what makes Andrew Johns a better player than Wally Lewis and Peter Sterling. "

For me goal kicking plays no part in evaluation a players on field skills tbh

The thing that made Johns better than them for me was his defensive ability combined with the face his kicking game was innovative and changed the game at times. Goal kicking is an added bonus, what I judge it on it what the players actually have to do in their position

I never saw Eadie when he was around so can't compare the 2 anyway

Kiwi Eagle said:
For me goal kicking plays no part in evaluation a players on field skills tbh

The thing that made Johns better than them for me was his defensive ability combined with the face his kicking game was innovative and changed the game at times. Goal kicking is an added bonus, what I judge it on it what the players actually have to do in their position

I never saw Eadie when he was around so can't compare the 2 anyway

Its my opinion Lewis and Sterling were great defender as was Johns, but I cant split there abilities in any area so I use goal kicking.

Your opinion is just as valid as mine, but thats the way I do it.

Honestly Brett and Eadie are opposite style players, almost like comparing a prop to a centre.

Gotta support Bob re the Wombat. I grew up watching him and to me, what makes a great player are the multiple incidents that stick in your mind, even 30 years later. Some of these are:
- getting underneath Ron Hilditch to prevent a try in the 1976 grand final when he was being propelled over the try line by the Parra forward pack in the infamous "flying wedge" move
- kicking Manly to victory 13-10 in the same game with 5 from 5
- proving absolutely unstoppable in the 1978 GF replay, scoring (I think) 2 tries
- being rated as the best player in the world for a period in the late 70s. Its not the be-all and end-all, but I remember he received a couple of 10/10 ratings in RLW at the time.

On top of this, he was the incumbent Australian fullback from around 73 to 80ish.

Plus, the rumour goes that he performed creditably in the blue on the 78 Kangaroo Tour that followed the Australian team manager being glassed by a member of the punk band, The Jam.

Bob's comments regarding goal kicking, I think, are relevant in that it shows the ability to absorb additional pressure, above and beyond the simple demands of the position. He was also the kicker in general play.

In saying that, I hope Stewy stays healthy enough, and with Manly long enough, to take the Wombat's crown. His sheer brilliance and try scoring ability may see that happen.

Oh, and Lyon for Branigan. Lyon is right up there with with the best players in the game today.

Agree out of the best Manly side named Jamie Lyon may now get in if being selected again? (2 Premierships and Captain winning premiership).

In time the Stewart’s and others may get there with another 5 years or so at Manly – a great achievement and motivation for these players.

If allow to post some youtube footage see link below 1976 Manly v’s Balmain and a great run by Eadie leading up to a great try !

http://www.youtube.com/user/upthemightyseaeagles#p/u/6/Esjlcef_6TE

As far as the Snake goes, he is a great player BUT he has a LONG way to go to be better than Graham WOMBAT Eadie! He was the best fullback that ever wore the Manly jersey as far as I am concerned. He was tough, fast and injury free! I am sure I only saw Ross "Sooty" Windshuttle play a handful of 1st grade games during the Wombat's reign.......

I know he was pretty good for us but I can't have BK in our greatest ever side. 2 seasons just isn't enough for me, 42 games without a finals win (I think thats correct). I know he gave his all, and played a fair role in establishing a culture, but IMO its not enough.

Also his recent broadcast of not wanting to have anything to do with the club due to Zorba's sacking makes it even easier for me to drop him out of the side.

Out of the 2011 premiership Killer and Choc are the closest to forcing their way in, followed closely by Gifty. Snake would have to go close to breaking Ken Irvines record, at the very least pass Beaver. I think people forget how good Wombat was.

Kiwi Eagle said:
bob dylan said:
bones said:
bob dylan said:
When Brett scores 2000 points for Manly he can have Wombats jersey.

Eadie was a goal kicker, Brett isn't. Not a fair comparison.

Therefore not as skillful. No kicking game at all.

Eadie played over 230 games, Bretts 130 dont cut it for me, see me in 70 games time and I might consider him.

Same goes for Glenn compare to Vautin.

These places shouldnt be handed out on a whim, they need to be earned.

Just to take that argument of yours a step further then

Using that argument above, you would rate El Masri as 1 of the best wingers of all time ? Played a lots of matches, scored a lot of tries, and more skillful than Irvine and co because he booted the ball over the crossbar

I think goalkicking can be used when you talk about it in terms of being a matchwinner. Especially if they happen to nail some kicks that wins finals.

trevnev said:
mickqld said:
Lyon is a must from the current squad he is simply a genius much in the Bozo mould. Gifty is the other potential but he still has to get to 200 playing like he is now to get in. Wombat wont be unseated unless Snake carves out 250 games and becomes all time top try scorer. If DCE's career ends up like Sterling or Johns then he would unseat Tooves.

Agreed. Lyon has a better all round game than O'Connor had. Wombat was rock solid and bumped the first defender off EVERY time when running the ball back. Correct me if I'm wrong but O'Connor seems to have nothing at all to do with rugby league or Manly these days. I seem to remember him being a reluctant convert to league and Manly(from saints). Not that this matters too much in terms of ability, just curious.
Not suggesting that he should have made the team but John Gibbs was the player that got me to my feet when I was a kid.

O'Conner is coaching the Australian Rugby 7s side. Has been for quite a while.

Lyon is one of the best allround players to play for this club and a great captain. He is pushing very very hard for a spot with Glenn Stewart pushing just as hard. Another 2 years of Gifty's current form and he will push Vautin out of the list

You have to remember Killer won a premiership at 5/8 AND center. Won it at 5/8 even though he's the best center in the game at the moment.

I didn't see Wombat play, but god I wish I did

I was surprised Ian Martin couldn't at least snag a bench spot. He was rock solid and a big reason we were so strong in the 70s.

I've included a few current players. Pretty impressed with that backline, and with the potential of Foran and DCE, quite possibly one of them in future could knock Tooves to the bench.
FB - Graham Eadie
W - Ken Irvine
W - Snake
C - Killer
C - Michael O’Connor
5/8 - Bob Fulton
HB - Geoff Toovey
P - Malcolm "Mal" Reilly
H - Max Krillich
P - Terry Randall
S/R - Steve Menzies
S/R - Gifty (I havnt seen Roy Bull)
L - John O'Neill
Des Hasler
Ben Kennedy
Cliff Lyons
Paul Vautin
Frank Stanton (coach)
Ken Arthurson (manager)

Nobody since the 2006 team was announced makes it into that team.... yet. i agree that whilst Ben Kennedy was amazing for us, it is hard to justify having him in the team.

People forget how good O'Conner was, despite what we think of him these days. Great in attack, chip kicks and regather, goalkicking. He was magic and more likely to make things happen than Lyon does, and that is saying something. In saying that, Lyon is much better in defence and may by the end of his career be seen as having the better overall game?

As much as Watmough is a legend and has had a long career at the club, it is hard to rate him better (not saying worse) than Kosef and Gartner. Kosef was hampered by his knees and Gartner didn't really hang around long. Watmough has more mistakes than these 2 players, although Kosef had a few too due to being a ballplaying backrower.

Brett and Glenn have a good chance, but if they left the club today, they would not have done enough to make it...one to rethink at the end of their careers.

i think we forget how good Ridge was too....took him a year to settle, but he was brilliant in all facets of the game.

ER40- you've interpreted the current numbering system as pertinent to the era when Bull, Randall, O'Neill, Reilly etc played. Back then no. 8 was the lock forward, through to no. 13, the open-side prop. Bull and O'Neill were props. Reilly a lock etc.

From 1 to 7, as per today.

The current player numbering system has only been in use in Australia during more recent times.

I definitely think Jamie Lyon is a better player than Ray Branighan. Ian Martin was a terrific player, so tough and with the best pass I've seen.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4