Greatest Club Sides Ever

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagles2win

Bencher
The WCC last night mentioned how many commentators felt that the '74 - '75 Roosters was the best club side there ever seen.

Interested to know other peoples :

Mine (from memory) no bias

Raiders '89 - '90 - no team could touch them when they were on.

Wigan during the '90s - dominated English Rugby League, Won nearly every trophy they competed in - including a rah rah 7's comp

Brisbane - most of the 90's basically was the Qld origin team running around

Manly - '95 -'97 best defensive team ever

Bradford '99 - '01 toyed with English comps then done it to NRL teams

Roosters '00 - '03

Storm/Manly - '06 - current

Manly 72 - 73, 76, 78, 87,96,08,11 (I think I got them all, there are so many to remember now days.)

WHERE WE WERE ROBBED:
1995 Dogs forward pass on 7th tackle. :mad:
1997 Newcastle - nothing more to be said. :mad:
2007 Melbourne over the cap. :mad:
2013 poor refereeing by the now retired Shayne Hayne. :mad:

Overall, I count around 12 we should have won.

I think that makes Manly he greatest club ever. A professionally run outfit that other clubs want to emulate but cannot.

The two types of Manly supporters, those that are and those that wish they were.

There has been some great club sides, if we take Manly out of the equation (for my own bias), I find it hard to go past the Raiders team of 89-94. That was a quality side.

Belcher, Daley, Meninga, Stuart, Lazarus, Clyde.....etc etc. It was nearly the Australian side.

I remember when we won the 09 WCC there were articles lauding that Manly side as possibly the best that the club ever produced. Reporters get carried away and tend to exaggerate somewhat. Our '76 side, '96 and probably '11 side were better than our '08 side.

By the way the Roosters '75 line up as follows

Team line-up

Jack Gibson (Coach),

Arthur Beetson,
John Brass,
Ron Coote,
Russell Fairfax,
Mark Harris,
Grant Hedger,
Ian Mackay,
Johnny Mayes,
Bill Mullins,
Des O'Reilly,
John Peard,
Bruce Pickett,
Barry 'Bunny' Reilly,
John Rheinberger,
Ian Schubert,
Kevin Stevens,
Elwyn Walters.

Chip and Chase said:
I remember when we won the 09 WCC there were articles lauding that Manly side as possibly the best that the club ever produced. Reporters get carried away and tend to exaggerate somewhat. Our '76 side, '96 and probably '11 side were better than our '08 side.

There were some really positive reports about us after the 08 win and the 09 WCC. It was really weird, they were saying how Manly had their front office in line (geez they got that wrong), and just how they had turned everything around. I remember at the time thinking 'what is going on here?? We are getting positive press'. Then after some other stuff happened at the start of 09 the press went back to usual ways.

As much as i hat to say 11 straight (or what ever it was) for St Merge is pretty untouchable

Nothing can surpass the 78 Finals Team in my heart:angel:

That mentality/heart/pain threshold MUST be instilled into the present day, professional Manly Players :idea:

The motley 2008 GF Team is also up there with the Immortals Tag.
Most were rejects from other Clubs, yet they kept the illegally stacked, and previous year's Premiers, to a big fat zero :exclamation:

I think the 08 side would beat most of the modern grandfinal teams looking at their points differential in the finals and regular season. Also, they did dominate the 07 premiers at the time in the grandfinal who had a number of Qld origin players, and that storm team was way over the salary cap. Lastly, because that Manly side was proficient in the wrestle, I think they would get the job done against a lot of the premiership winning teams in the past.

Daddycool08 said:
Manly 72 - 73, 76, 78, 87,96,08,11 (I think I got them all, there are so many to remember now days.)

WHERE WE WERE ROBBED:
1995 Dogs forward pass on 7th tackle. :mad:
1997 Newcastle - nothing more to be said. :mad:
2007 Melbourne over the cap. :mad:
2013 poor refereeing by the now retired Shayne Hayne. :mad:

Overall, I count around 12 we should have won.

I think that makes Manly he greatest club ever. A professionally run outfit that other clubs want to emulate but cannot.

The two types of Manly supporters, those that are and those that wish they were.

Shayne Hayne reffed the Bull****es v Scum game!

Killer03 said:
There has been some great club sides, if we take Manly out of the equation (for my own bias), I find it hard to go past the Raiders team of 89-94. That was a quality side.

Belcher, Daley, Meninga, Stuart, Lazarus, Clyde.....etc etc. It was nearly the Australian side.

The Balmain team of the late 80's weren't too bad either.

Manly's mid 90's team was stronger than the 2007-present teams IMO

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4