Great game of footy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
The scores don't suggest it but that Souths Warriors game was fantastic.After watching basically rubbish for the entire weekend with the usual 4 hitups, sweeping second man and a kick to the corner to see a contest like that was a breath of fresh air.Also what a crowd.We should look at Perth instead of Gosford like this year.

The warriors deserved better with a couple of flukey tries from the bunnies but as much as I hate to say it they showed why they are clearly the top side.Outside the top 3 the warriors(if they make it) seem about the only side who might lay down some sort of rough challenge.

When the top 3 get on top they just smother sides out of it(eg storm and roosters this week) but the Warriors with Hurrell,Vatuvai,Mateo,Johnson etc have the X factor that could possibly chase down a lead. Historically they also have great records against the Bunnies and Storm and more than matched the roosters a couple of weeks ago.Their problem is they will most likely finish 5-8.

Penrith can rack also some points but they are a couple of years away.All the other sides outside the Warriors have been winning one week,losing the next and it is a long time since there has been such a clear gap from 3rd to 4th both in premiership points and standard of play.

One last point which I think was mentioned by Kiwi in another thread.Now these idiot refs look like they are extrapolating that held rule to cases where bloke are clearly tackled in tryscoring raids and throwing an illegal pass because they may get it back as per Goodwin yesterday.The rule is clearly designed for simultaneous pass/held situations ,not tryscoring raids with blokes just taking the odds to it knowing they may get it back..An illegal pass is an illegal pass ffs.

Another example of the total lack of common sense these blokes.This will end up like the obstruction rule- a mess that was totally unnecessary.

It was an enjoyable match to watch. Everything is running smoothly for the bunnies, and they are playing tremendous footy. The Warriors gave it a real crack but couldn't go with them for the full 80. Souths do have an Achilles heel though.

Bones that's exactly what I''m saying.I have watched and loved the Eagles for 43 years mate but I comment on what I see in front of me.Unless their are major injuries to the top sides we wont win this year.It wont stop me cheering every point we score in the meantime.

susan said:
Bones that's exactly what I''m saying.I have watched and loved the Eagles for 43 years mate but I comment on what I see in front of me.Unless their are major injuries to the top sides we wont win this year.It wont stop me cheering every point we score in the meantime.

I'm not saying we will win it either, but we will go much further in this comp than the Warriors will.

I stressed they might lay down a "" rough challenge"" to the top 3 simply because on their day they have a lot of points in them and are extremely physical.Other sides will probably finish higher than the warriors and may progress further yet be no chance of winning. The warriors are a punchers chance, the rest are no chance.

susan said:
I stressed they might lay down a "" rough challenge"" to the top 3 simply because on their day they have a lot of points in them and are extremely physical.Other sides will probably finish higher than the warriors and may progress further yet be no chance of winning. The warriors are a punchers chance, the rest are no chance.

I'm sure the top 3 sides would much rather meet the Warriors in the finals than Manly.

Ask Melbourne that question.The answer would be us in a flash.Warriors have beat them in a 1 v 8 and a prelim final(on storms home track to boot) in recent years .Outside 08 Storm have murdered us in finals footy.

The roosters have had us covered pretty well twice this year home and away and there is little finals history to look at in modern times while the Warriors lost on the final play at home and beat them comfortably away a couple of weeks ago.Last time Warriors played roosters in a semi chooks were top 4,warriors ran eighth and the warriors murdered them after beating Melbourne the week before.

Souths.Who knows.Both games this year against Warriors have been classics and there is definitely no finals history in modern times!

When you talk up the Worriers, don;t foget to factor in that their success has come during the SOO period where they don;t have any players unavailable, yet their opponents do.
From what I've seen, Melbourne is still the team to beat. When people start writing off the Storm they show how professional they are. Broncos should have challenged them, but Melbourne completely dominated.
I think when the big matches come around Melbourne will be the hardest to beat. Unfortunately.

bones said:
susan said:

I'm sure the top 3 sides would much rather meet the Warriors in the finals than Manly.

If Checcin is the referee, coupled with Manly's current form, the opposite is true.

Who Im not talking them up really.In my opinion one of the top 3 will win it for sure with them being a smokey if thing fell their way like 2011.The gap from third to the rest is the biggest I have seen in a long long time.The other sides are not in their class and don't have enough points in them.

I hate to say it but I don't think we have the points in us either. Hasn't been this way for a long time.

Just because I don't think we can win the lot doesn't mean I don't enjoy every game. If you couldn't enjoy footy because you thought your team couldn't win the GF their would be 500 at almost every game.

I backed us to win plenty in 2011 at the start of the year and thought we would win at good odds.I enjoy this years games just as much.In fact winning games when we are struggling is maybe more enjoyable.

Yep that held call is rubbish Susan, and in 2 games yesterday the exact some thing was blown 2 different ways

I don't think the Warriors will make the 8, have to win 6/8 which I don't see them doing

The side sneaking under the radar still is the Sharks, probably lack the strike out wide to win the whole thing, but their forward pack is as good as most going around and Carney on his day can kill a side. They need Gordon back to add a bit of class at the back. Fifita is unbelievable, imagine if they get his twin brother playing well too

Sadly good games of footy are few and far between, so generally I miss them as i did this match as I am not prepared to wade through a host of crap on the off chance I might see a good game.

I tune into all Manly games and origin but watch no other footy these days

Yep,Gordon is key and they have a win over the bunnies to their credit.They will be our main rival with dogs for top 4.Like you,still don't like their outside backs which will make it difficult.

All of this presupposes no major injuries in the top 3 sides.That can always throw a spanner in the works.History says one of them will win it.

Sharks struggle away from home,Rabbits seem to get all the 50-50 calls go their way.
That try by Sutton last night would have been deemed a knock on if it was scored by us, he clearly tapped it forward into a defending player, the rest was some real arsey play from Souths, Warriors made enough line breaks to win two matches, but couldn't capitalize.

jbb/james said:
Sadly good games of footy are few and far between, so generally I miss them as i did this match as I am not prepared to wade through a host of crap on the off chance I might see a good game.
Yes I am watching far fewer matches for the same reason. Canberra are sometimes good to watch this year.

As for the rest of this thread – speculation on which of Manly and the Warriors will finish furthest behind the top teams – please! Things can change so quickly. Don't some of you people remember the glorious uncertainty of rugby league? For now, let the others show top form (and build the pressure of expectation on themselves.) I'm still going for Manly to win.

Think they actually got the Sutton one right, he knocked it back into Hurrells hand who propelled it the other way

Imagine the sort of side we would be if Crowe didn't cut our grass with Burgess a few years back. We nearly had him signed before Richardson sent Russell in for a chat. I'd imagine then that the clan would have followed him here

Kiwi Eagle said:
Think they actually got the Sutton one right, he knocked it back into Hurrells hand who propelled it the other way

Imagine the sort of side we would be if Crowe didn't cut our grass with Burgess a few years back. We nearly had him signed before Richardson sent Russell in for a chat. I'd imagine then that the clan would have followed him here

Was thinking about that the other day. Sam and George would solve our go forward problem that's for sure. We'd be unstoppable.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6