GRANT MAYER & SCOTT PENN PRESS CONFERENCE AUDIO

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan

Saturday 14 Feb 2009 08:51
by Matthew O'Neill
http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=32290

Quantum Eco Hot Water signed on as major sponsors of the Manly club yesterday as CEO Grant Mayer and Chairman Scott Penn were forced to answer questions about the Sean Eagles boardroom politics.

It was revealed that Mayer had lost the support of the boardroom with the split being 5-2 against re-appointing Mayer as Chief Executive despite the outstanding success he has enjoyed at Manly since taking on the top position. Mayer yesterday brought Quantum Eco Hot Water to the Sea Eagles as major sponsor in a deal believed to be worth $2.6million.

Mayer has said he'll resign at the end of the season unless he can obtain the full support of the board, which has been split into several factions.

Penn and fellow co-owner Max Delege have fallen out over a range of issues and Penn has accused Delmege of not coming to the party in his financial commitment to the Manly franchise.

Some of the comments Penn said in the press conference included, "I don't believe there is any dispute about the money owed. It's probably not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things when it comes to his [Delmege] situation, but we need that money. We're talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars at a time, in the pre-season, when you can't rely on things like gate receipts to keep the club going.

"We're solvent, there is no question of that," Penn said. "But over the term of the coming months we need that money. Things aren't critical now, but unless the situation changes it will become an issue. If arrangements are not being met, the board has to figure out what to do, and that [legal action] is one of the options. The directors have a fiduciary responsibility."

Mayer tookover as Manly CEO in 2006 and has achieved great success since he has been at the helm. Prior to coming to Manly Mayer was the initial CEO of the French based Super League side Catalans and before that had six years at the Bulldogs in a variety of roles up until 2005. Mayer's departure from the Bulldogs midway through 2005 was one of the major triggers for their sudden decline after winning the title in 2004.

Commenting on the whole boardroom scuffle, a dignified Mayer said, "It's a very political environment here at the moment.

"People have used my position as a trigger for a whole rung of other issues, but that's part of being a CEO. Unfortunately, this club excels in drama during the off-season and that's not good for the team or the fans. I just hope our stake-holders can get together in a room and continue to support our club.

"I'm happy to step aside at the end of the season to help make that happen, if that's what it takes, but Scott hasn't accepted my letter of resignation and nine months is a long time. My aim has always been to be here for a long time, but we need to resolve some issues."

The full press conference with Mayer and Penn lasted just over seven minutes with both individuals very up front and honest. Rleague.com also obtained footage of the press conference with Manly coach Des Hasler and captain Matt Orford as they previewed the upcoming World Club Challenge fixture against Leeds. The audio of the Hasler/Orford press conference to be posted in the next article.

Rleague.com also gained quick interviews with David Williams, Michael Robertson and Jamie Lyon and all three talked about the 2008 Grand Final, paid tribute to the great Steve Menzies and talked up the World Club Challenge and the NRL season ahead. Williams also spoke about the floods in North Queensland, which is where his brother and Cowboys winger John Williams resides.

In an exclusive, Rleague.com will interview Mayer in a special interview after Manly arrive back from the World Club Challenge and leading into their Round 1 clash against the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsIHNgYs0ZE

Re: GRANT MAYER & SCOTT PENN PRESS CONFERENCE AUDIO

"I'm happy to step aside at the end of the season to help make that happen, if that's what it takes, but Scott hasn't accepted my letter of resignation and nine months is a long time. My aim has always been to be here for a long time, but we need to resolve some issues."

Let's hope these "issues" get sorted then and he can stay on.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4