Grand Final Refereeing Errors You May Have Missed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

driftout

Reserve Grader
DCE gets tackled by Jennings at the 69min30sec mark , is on the ground and held about 20 metres out, then Jake Friend does a flop with a swinging arm to the head/neck. That's a penalty every day of the week. If Manly players were coached to stay down it would have been reviewed and the officials would have had to give a penalty. The score was 20-18 at the time.

The penalty to Easts against Horo on JWH at 6-6 was bizarre. JWH was tackled by Horo , and almost straight away the referee started calling out "Justin , Justin" . Horo released JWH quickly , JWH got up and dropped the ball cold without any suggestion of interference by Horo. It put Easts up 8-6 and was pivotal in the context of the match. Again , if Horo had taken a dive after the headbutt that occurred after the penalty was given, the referee would have been forced to act.

When George Rose tackled Moa against the padded upright , Moa lost the ball then caught it as it touched the ground. The ball bobbled again on the ground . He then played the ball illegally by lifting his right leg up and rolling it quickly without even trying to use his foot. I realise this happens dozens of times every game but it was the worst play the ball of the game.

Toovey said after the Inglis dive at Bluetongue that maybe he should tell his players to stay down. I realise he was being facetious and it's not in his DNA ,but with the standard of refereeing as dire as it is, maybe he should .

I've watched the grand final 5 times so far. Manly were marginally the better team in my opinion. The kicking game of DCE in the 2nd half was ordinary (apart from the Lyon penalty try). The only negative was the re-appearance of panic at the end of some sets in the 2nd half (some aimless short kicks when a bomb was worth a shot and Foran running crossfield on the 5th then losing the ball when trying to push a pass to Lyon who was covered ). Easts score from that error to take the lead (albeit from a forward pass with the touch judge on that side directly in line with the pass).

I have the game on PVR but I havnt watched it because im not ready too yet.

But when I do I will put up a thread for discussion with a list of the horror ref calls minute by minute.

Same here can't stomach watching it yet. Might take me till well into summer.

I put the replay on earlier tonight for the first time and only made it to half time. Its a disgrace.
Further to the Horo/WH incident, the referees advised they penalised Manly for holding down for too long. Crap. They didn't blow the whistle until after Hargraeves dropped the ball, not while the tackle was being effected. Therefore they penalised what they thought was intereference with the ball. They then saw the replay, saw Hargraeves dropped it cold, so covered their tracks with an explanation via the commentators.
Foran loses the ball, Pearce's hand in there. No penalty.
Kenny-Dowell gets up from a tackle, walks across the line and puts the ball down. Referees call him back and let him play the ball. If he gets tackled a foot short and reaches out, he gets penalised for a double movement. What's the difference?
Someone told me today that although Manly were good, Roosters were the better side. Can't these people see that its rulings like these that make one side seem better than the other?
I'll let it go eventually, but I hope in vain that Anderson is made to respond to these. Won't happen though.
Suffice to say that any Roosters supporter whom I know and who I haven't yet spoken to will be politely but firmly told that I'm not interested in what they have to say.

MWSE said:
Let it go.

With all due respect, people get over these things on their own time, when they are good and ready. If we had of played a terrible game and the refereeing had been fairly balanced (ie we lost it fair and square) i would already be over it. Its the fact that the refereeing denied us winning (yes it did).

That oxygen thief in the pink shirt, Hayne, crucified us for no good reason other than he felt like it at the time. I take that as a personal attack on our fine club. Its extremely hard to accept and i am a long way from 'letting it go'. And the fact that next to no one in the media is reporting the injustices is annoying the piss out of me too

I don't know how the Roosters go from being the most penalised team in the NRL and averaging 8 penalties a game to being penalised twice on GF day.

Lord Eagleton said:
MWSE said:
Let it go.

With all due respect, people get over these things on their own time, when they are good and ready. If we had of played a terrible game and the refereeing had been fairly balanced (ie we lost it fair and square) i would already be over it. Its the fact that the refereeing denied us winning (yes it did).

That oxygen thief in the pink shirt, Hayne, crucified us for no good reason other than he felt like it at the time. I take that as a personal attack on our fine club. Its extremely hard to accept and i am a long way from 'letting it go'. And the fact that next to no one in the media is reporting the injustices is annoying the piss out of me too
I think Paul Crawley did,he seems to be the only journo that reports when we get rorted

COMMANDER said:
I don't know how the Roosters go from being the most penalised team in the NRL and averaging 8 penalties a game to being penalised twice on GF day.
Is that a rhetorical question? Because clearly the answer is out there, Fox Mulder.

Watched a replay & noted plenty of these poor calls & more, even a few that went our way.
What I did notice is they came home better in the last 30 minutes & either the intensity dropped at the 50 minute mark, or all the tough games caused a massive fatigue at this point.
There were lost opportunities, missed tackles, poor options & there was good enough field position to put them away.
Still really proud of the team & they have given us far more to cheer about than the Rooter fans have had in recent times.
This was 1 that got away & its almost Cowgirlish to totally blame the outcome on the refs when the players got stuck in quicksand at 18 points.
Tbh I think there were more dud calls 1st half & the players were good enough to bond & overcome this to grab a handy lead.
Have seen games like the 2008 GF where Storm got all the calls yet we win by 40, refs dont miss tackles, drop balls & throw bad passes with the line open.

Let's face it, Easts recruited well this season. O'Donnell, Jennings and Maloney were smart purchases. Money-Bill proved his worth.
But the best buy was Shane Hayne. Genius work that, especially as it won't be deemed as being under the salary cap.

Garts said:
I have never watched a grand final loss again. What is the point? I can find other ways to piss myself off.

X2. Never have or will watch a GF loss.

Dan said:
Im over it now
I think I'm over the result and the dodgy refereeing but the off season is boring already and I want Manly to win the 2014 Premiership right now.

niccipops said:
Dan said:
Im over it now
I think I'm over the result and the dodgy refereeing but the off season is boring already and I want Manly to win the 2014 Premiership right now.

Exactly nicci.....the off season just bores me to tears. It's a long time to wait to make amends. But I have a good feeling about 2014.

I have the GF on IQ. I haven't decided if I want to watch it. As Garts said, plenty of other ways to piss myself off.

simon64 said:
Exactly nicci.....the off season just bores me to tears. It's a long time to wait to make amends. But I have a good feeling about 2014.

I have the GF on IQ. I haven't decided if I want to watch it. As Garts said, plenty of other ways to piss myself off.
The replays of the JWH headbutt and body slam get me pretty fired up. There's no way I want to see that game again.
The world cup's going to be another SBW media love fest - pass the bucket.
I think I need a new Manly jersey to look forward to. The 2013 women's home jersey is nice.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6