Gould on Sunday footy show

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
He totally misses the point of the salary cap and has no regard for it.

I would bet $100 he rorted the cap with the roosters.

Gallop did well defusing Goulds bs.

I agree, he is missing the point completely. Gallop has done okay, but i wish that he was more articulate and stroingly spoken to put Gould in his place.

That rubbish about Storm should be allowed to keep Inglis, Slater etc. cos they're home grown... Gallop was right - If this was allowed there would be a lot of clubs that wouldn't survive. Can you imagine Gus Gould's own ROOSTERS in that situation? There is no way that his roosters would be able to compete against the likes of Penrith etc. if clubs were so heavily rewarded for producing and maintaining their own juniors.

What rubbish. I can't believe that some people listed to the dribble that is coming out of Gould's mouth.

And that elderly lady - GAH, of course eveyone wants to be as sucessful as the storm. I'd love to have the kind of quality players that they have. But you know what else I'd love - I'd love to live in a mansion. I'd love to drive a VW golf, spend 3 months of the year in the bahamas and cure all poverty in the world. Unfortunately, I can't. NRL clubs can't sustain teams like the storm! There is not enough money in the game! Why is there not enough money in the game, thats another story (whether NRL are to blame for not negotiating a better tv deal, etc.). The rules are there for a reason. Bottom line is, Storm have cheated. They should be punished. And Gould should STFU!

Well said nita.
positivo1.gif

Gould just loves an opportunity to grind an axe. Some of what he says has merit, it's just the way he goes about it that really grates on me. He gets on his high horse and thinks he is so much more knowledgeable than everyone else, unfortunately for him he doesn't have a solution to the problem, only criticisms of the existing system so he looks as big a goose as Gallop. If I was Gallop I would have turned around and said "what would you do Phil ?", this of course would have been met with a stuttering "it's not my job...it's not up to me....I don't have all the answers....don't worry about what I think, isn't it the NRL's responsibility...etc,etc". Gould has been believing Vossy's sycophantic ramblings about him being the best brain in the game for too long. Come up with a workable solution Phil or STFU.

Was mixed on his views personally, some I agree with, some I don't

Overall it was a sensational footy show though

What did you agree with Kiwi?

Yup agree C&C, so annoying that Gould can sit there and talk narrow minded dribble, and no one puts him in his place!

I sorta agree with his point about developed stars having to move on not being quite right. Not that it excuses what Melbourne have done, as they have bought more in. There should be some sort of concession for developed talent at a club I think, what that is I don't know

We have lost Beaver because of this fact

I look at our squad now, and off the top of my head both Stewarts, Foran, Hodkinson, Watmough, King, Wolfman, Matai, Ballin have all made their NRL debut with us, and we have Hopoate, Lussick, Whare, Buhrer and co coming through. If they all turn out near their potential, then it does suck that we have to get rid of a few of them. But there is also the argument I suppose that if we didn't buy guys in like Kite, Lyon, Perry etc then we wouldnt face that problem

Gould has been on one single agenda since the day he was first given a public forum to express his opinion. The man is an A - Grade idiot with nothing more to say than how bad everything and anything is done. Meanwhile he sits around doing NOTHING about it but complaining.

I could do nothing more than cringe when he rattled off the list of juniors that Melbourne have brought through their system. Not once mentioning that those 'juniors' were Brisbanes and Norths before their little rort set in.

Please gus spare us having to listen to your pointless rants any further. Do you think anyone but parramatta or brisbane would win a grand final if locally developed juniors were made untouchable through the salary cap?

Good one Gould you idiot.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
I sorta agree with his point about developed stars having to move on not being quite right.

Nice in theory but a couple of years back Melbourne had 13 of the 17 jnr kangaroos on their books (from memory it was the year before the NYC started), and they got these guys paying big money you'd have to think.

At that stage they hadn't played in the NRL but your future looks good when your stacking your lower grades with that kind of pedigree, no other club had that kind of strength on the lower grades.

I also think it would also leave some clubs with massive junior bases at a very distinct advantage if you gave clubs a discount on Juniors.

Looks like everyone is thinking along the same lines... I watched the show and was disgusted on how Gould rabbited on, he's basically saying that it's fine for Melbourne to rort the cap and to have an unfair advantage on everyone elses team. If we had Gus Goulds version of a competition I think we would have something like in the UK where one or two teams with the cash dominate and the rest just flounder as all the talent is pooled together.  
And yeah... Waldron - master of deception !! he'd be good at boulderdash!

Kiwi Eagle link said:
I sorta agree with his point about developed stars having to move on not being quite right. Not that it excuses what Melbourne have done, as they have bought more in. There should be some sort of concession for developed talent at a club I think, what that is I don't know

We have lost Beaver because of this fact

I look at our squad now, and off the top of my head both Stewarts, Foran, Hodkinson, Watmough, King, Wolfman, Matai, Ballin have all made their NRL debut with us, and we have Hopoate, Lussick, Whare, Buhrer and co coming through. If they all turn out near their potential, then it does suck that we have to get rid of a few of them. But there is also the argument I suppose that if we didn't buy guys in like Kite, Lyon, Perry etc then we wouldnt face that problem

I totally agree.

But Gus missed the point in that all of the clubs were bound by the current rules and agreed to the salary cap as it stands. The Storm broke these rules.

Gus does have some points, but the way he articulated his point takes away from the fact the Storm cheated. Gus just wants to take any opportunity he can get to rip into Gallop/NRL administration.

Exactly nita. He doesn't seem to understand or he deliberatly omises that the Storm aren't the only team who have to lose players due to the salary cap.

I supose it helps him grind his axe that way.

missing_something link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=183152.msg260768#msg260768 date=1272162892]
I sorta agree with his point about developed stars having to move on not being quite right.

Nice in theory but a couple of years back Melbourne had 13 of the 17 jnr kangaroos on their books (from memory it was the year before the NYC started), and they got these guys paying big money you'd have to think.

At that stage they hadn't played in the NRL but your future looks good when your stacking your lower grades with that kind of pedigree, no other club had that kind of strength on the lower grades.

I also think it would also leave some clubs with massive junior bases at a very distinct advantage if you gave clubs a discount on Juniors.
[/quote]

Yep that is true as well, is near impossible to find a perfect solution

I always liked the idea of years of service equaling some sort of discount, or maybe even NRL games could be a way to go. Maybe something along the lines of 100 games for 1 club = $50,000, 150 = $75,000, 200 = $100,000, 250 = $200,000 and 300 = exempt, or something along those lines, encourages a bit of loyalty and gives guys like Beaver, Hindmarsh etc rewards for staying at 1 club

Gould is like one of those poor Japanese fellows caught deep in Irian Jaya still fighting World War II 60 years later. 

Being a mad punter my money would be on Gould being behnd the large bets that came in last week backing the storm to get the wooden spoon.  He admited on the footy show on Thursday night that he ahd knowb about the investigation for at least a month. 

Phil Gould was an absolute pig on that show today. He may not agree with Gallop but his total lack of respect showed him to be nothing more than a spoiled brat bullyboy who cannot get his way. And yes he is arguing an entirely different topic to the one they were tackling. The Storm broke the rules and must pay a penalty. Changing the rules is an entirely different subject to what to do when one breaks the rules. And while I'm at it, as for all those people in various media asking 'what do we tell our kids?', that's gotta be the easiest one of all - you break the rules you pay the price. Handy learning tool, no?

I have been stewing over this for a couple of days now but I kinda agree with Gus. Yes there is no doubt the Storm has cheated but the NRL has been auditing the books for the last 5 years and found nothing. It has only taken a whistleblower to find the cooked books. My issues lay with Gallop and are as follows:-

1. Stripping them of 2 Grand Finals mean nothing and making the 2007 - 2009 mean nothing. This does not sit right with me. The Storm did it with illegal players but apart from Clint Newton and Brett Finch they did it their own juniors. I am well and truly over the 2007 GF thanks mainly to 2008 GF. Stripping them of the titles takes away from what we did in 2008. I believe that they 4 players involved with this rorting and that is Smith – Slater – Cronk – Inglis and to be honest none of them would be anything without the Storm. Gus commented on how all of them started their career at the Storm at young ages. 

2. Not playing for points this year is just playing silly. The Storm will have full control of who can make the 8 than most teams will. They are $700k over maybe that should be taken into effect over the next 2 years off the salary cap at amounts $500k per year then $250k per year for the next 3 years. The Bulldogs were allowed to rort the cap then win a Comp with the same player a few years later.

3. Gallop is only reacting to what News will let them - there is no way he would have the balls to do this on his own. If he was doing his job in the first place this would have not happen. Once the NRL has its own commission running the league and Melbourne are still suffering from this scandal News will keep control of the Storm and they will become more prominent than they are now.

4. I honestly think that their are more teams out there now doing this and Wally Waldron’s comments that they are all doing this is correct. I don’t think I will point fingers but 2 teams come to mind immediately.

I hate the Storm but I don’t think Gallop got it right – the fines will only be paid by News and is only a drop in the ocean to them. Manly have lost Wherea-Hargraves  as a junior to the Roosters and we struggled to keep Foran and Hodkinson, which may result into keeping only one of them. Manly have nurtured these players through the lower grades and when we lose them we all jump on this site and scream blue murder.

I know this is going to create problems and I hate the Storm but if the NRL were doing their job it would have not happen and Gallop should go now...

Whilst Gould has some fair points he comes across that he believes that the Storm should not be penalised because the rules are wrong.  That may be true but all clubs knew the rules and they broke them, it is that simple.  Gould just gets on his high horse and speaks over the top of anyone that disagrees with him, he is farkwit. 

Hopefully the cap is increased in the next year or so with a increase for base player wages so any increase is not taken by the Haynes and Thurstons of your team.  I am not sure of huge discounts for developed players, just a overall cap increase. 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6