Got my Kindle today

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
All of the Cthulu mythos short stories are great to read.

There are a few companies that do compilations of Lovecraft stories so I'd just try & grab one of those.

The Eagle said:
What do u read fro?

Pretty much anything mate.

recently been reading historic fiction sort of stuff, Roman times and that sort of stuff.

dont mind the usual standard crime thriller, Micheal Connelly, Lee Child that sort of stuff.

Some fantasy stuff i don't mind, but wouldnt say i'm a huge fan of the genre.

Basicaly if I try an author and like them, I'll read as much of theirs as i can get a hold of.

Geez you guys are making me buy one of these things.

As an avid reader they look ideal, especially for travelling

When I was in Honolulu a couple of weeks back I found a Borders that was closing down, books are so damn heavy so had to show some restraint.

I will shout myself a Kindle with my tax cheque, if I can wait that long).

Fro said:
The Eagle said:
What do u read fro?

recently been reading historic fiction sort of stuff, Roman times and that sort of stuff.

dont mind the usual standard crime thriller, Micheal Connelly, Lee Child that sort of stuff.

Basicaly if I try an author and like them, I'll read as much of theirs as i can get a hold of.

It's clear - Fro reads stuff.

Fro said:

Fro, have you read any of the Eagle Series by Simon Scarrow?

I had the series recommended to me by a mate a few weeks ago & I've had more than a few tired days at work as a result of them. Very easy to read & thoroughly enjoying the series so far.

Is that the Roman ones or his napoleonic ones?

yeah he is on the list of my stuff to get to, definately sounds appealing from some stuff I've read about it.

i have a few of them as ebooks and will try to find the rest when I get closer to reading them.

On a forum, talking about e-readers and scifi...could it get anymore geeky?

Roman ones.

Can definitely recommend them, made for a pleasant change from textbooks.

While I'm recommending books I'll have to say that anyone interested in modern warfare/conflict in the middle east should pick up a copy of the Accidental Guerilla by David Kilcullen if they get the chance. Nice mix of being informative without ending up too dry.

lsz said:
On a forum, talking about e-readers and scifi...could it get anymore geeky?

When someone first told me to try reading Magician I said no because I didn't want to take that last step into being a geek. I just viewed then as being too geeky. I am glad I put that aside and started reading fantasy brcause my lord they can write a good story

• 👍
Reactions: ads
I only started reading because i had an ex who lived in melbourne,i hate flying and rarely drive long distance,bus is prohibitively expensive with no food buyable on it,so i took the train

1st was a star wars 1000yrs before the fall of the empire,Darth Banes 1st book which deals with the rule of 2,only read the 1st of that 3

Then a pre terminator salvation book,very descriptive and everything seemed to be labelled and popular,such as M4A1 Carbine etc,i didnt know why i needed to know which sort of assault rifle each character was using

Then this weird thing from Sarah Rayne,she knows english people...how
dull their thoughts are but it was atleast finishable,queer book which has a few words in it about Dr Death from WW2 at auschwitz

Then i was at central,went into the newsagency and found Under The dome,i figured i like his movies so id try his books

It wasnt bad but it reminded me alot of the simpsons movie with grotesque afterthoughts and incredible descriptions of such foul things
So i bought It a few weeks later,scared me to death and that was about 6 months ago,i couldnt put it down,i was looking online for what should be next,it was the choice of The Stand or The Dark Tower,he considered DT to be his magnum opus so i chose that 1st

Planning on getting into Call of Clthulu next,but that wont be for a long time yet

No I meant started reading fantasy. Have read almost constantly since I was about 18 or 19, before then I didn't really enjoy reading.

I was late into fantasy, and only read a little of it at any rate.

I first started reading for recreation when I was in early teens, I remember finding $10 in a park on my way to school one day, it was either buy smokes or a book :)

hey it was the early 80's, smokes were a lot easier to buy, luckily i inly smoked for about a month before I realised they tasted like ****.

That's where I was at. Used to read a lot of stuff like Alive and Damage Done which are all true stories.
Then read Magician and was hooked on the genre.

You have nothing to lose in reading it even a book you don't like is better than not reading

not in total agreement there Dan, there are some pretty **** books around...

There are always at least moderately good reads around..

True but if the story is good, what does the genre matter?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6