Got my Kindle today

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Finally got a chance to get a fair crak at it this arvo, stuck the bub in front of finding nemo and settled into the lounge chair.

Well worth the effort, very easy to use and i'll be adding one myself shortly.

Good to hear mate. My last charge was 3 weeks ago and still had over half a battery but charged it today incase there is hospital visit in the next few days

The other night i was so tired that i tired to turn the page on mine....

The Eagle said:
I bought the dark tower - the drawing of 3 today

The Dark tower doesn't get good until book 3. Book 3 i really enjoyed and at times found it hard to put down. Still a little slow but much much much better.

I am just reading snowcrash and then will look to finish The Dark Tower as i have all the books waiting. It isn't the best sci-fi/fantasy series I have read but it's different and not too bad. Almost a unique genre in and of itself

I started reading the Song of Ice and Fire series, stumbeld across the HBO series on the net and progressed to the books.

Fro said:
I started reading the Song of Ice and Fire series, stumbeld across the HBO series on the net and progressed to the books.

Far out man, that was in my list of ones to read. Was trying to get the first one for months, got the Kindle and it is on there, but decided I should finish the other series I had already started.

We should totally start a Kindle fan club

hehe if you need the others dan i have acquired them as well.

they were in a big heap of them i got hold of

I must have obtained the same heap :)

haha I don't have the time at the moment but might see what I can knock up

Daniel said:
The Eagle said:
I bought the dark tower - the drawing of 3 today

The Dark tower doesn't get good until book 3. Book 3 i really enjoyed and at times found it hard to put down. Still a little slow but much much much better.

I am just reading snowcrash and then will look to finish The Dark Tower as i have all the books waiting. It isn't the best sci-fi/fantasy series I have read but it's different and not too bad. Almost a unique genre in and of itself

With Stephen King,he doesnt have trouble imagining the characters (for me that fat bastard from "Under the Dome" will always stick in my head "such a clustermug we got here") nor does he have trouble making up evil doers of all shapes sizes and at time,shape shifters(They ALL Float)

No,thats not Stephens problem,Stephens real problem is figuring out which part of Maine his new writings will take place in

Derry (hate that place....scarred me for life,want a balloon?) ,Motten Castle Rock,Bangor,Haven,Stephen King write more books that arent set in some butt**** section of MAINE!!!

Yeah but the dark tower is meant to be s mixture of sci fi and fantasy. Fantasy in particular requires a completely different style of writing and character development. Even by the end of book 3 he has not mastered it but is improving.

Compare him to say robert Jordan and he is miles away from the true master of that genre. I suggest reading the wheel of time. An awesome series

The Dark tower was mostly written by a young man who'd bitten off way more than he could chew,im reading the revised version from 2003 which takes out the mistakes of the younger man,poor writing,2 many words and a few issues like Rolands age and a few certain things in his past

Im enjoying it so far,its not It but nothing perhaps maybe the real masters work will beat that (Lovecraft)

I havent read the masters work yet

I tend to disagree, whilst the first book the gunslinger, was written by a young man, books 2 and 3 were written a lot later on when he was an already accomplished writer.

He admitted in forewords of later books he as much as apologises for their quality and meandering form. He was delving out of horror and back towards his Richard Bachman days of made believe worlds.

From what I understand he now considers the dark tower to be his masterpiece.

But please do yourself a favour and first read Raymond E Feists riftwar saga (magician etc) and the read the wheel of tine series. It's slow to start but once you learn all the characters and start to grasp the stories it gets you completely hooked. I am waiting on the final book in November and then plan to re-read the entire 13 book epic series

Have you gotten around to reading anything by Lovecraft?
Everything i hear is Tolkien was great at writing about heroic characters
Lovecraft was all about evil
I never read Lord of the Ring after reading the hobbit.....the idea of that as a movie seems so boring....

Sorry for partial derailment,i dont know many people who read lol

nah all good, this thread was about books, so no derailment.

and plenty of readers in here.

Tbh I don't really like Tolkien. He really started the genre or at least made it famous but he is far from the best at it. However his creation of creatures and world were great I just found the story line a little off.

I haven't read lovecraft but will add him to the list of books I currently have lined up to read. Any specific titles that you van suggest?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4