Got my Kindle today

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
ManlyBacker, they sure have, that is a big part of the market, sending these to Students etc.

McGraw Hill is the biggest player in the market for these, but they are largely US. Google are trying to launch a similar business and rival them.

The only issues is the kindle is Black and White so colour diagrams are useless. However a photo on the Kindle looks exactly like a black and white photo. It is actually really impressive.

If you want a larger size there is the Kindle DX which is massive.

I thought the 6 inch screen was too small at first, but now that I have it there are absolutely no dramas. I had a browse through Darwin's origin of species the other night and the pictures etc all came up fine.

I guess the best thing you can do is see if you can find a friend who has one and borrow it.

well I am now part of the in crew - just got given one for my birthday - arriving tuesday

From the mother in law no less - the wifi 3g model

She must have been happy for me to take her daughter off her hands...

I'll take that back about the light, I CAN read with it....just...but naturally better witha normal light. I love the way you read a book, turn it off and then turn it back on and it opens at the exact page.

I have bought it for two reasons

1) Fits into my bag which I bring to work each day, means I can read on the way to and from work on the train (it's only 10 mins each way but better than staring out the window at the same sights you see every day).

2) I am doing a central Oz trek in my 4WD in July-August and rather than take 3 or 4 books to read I can just take my Kindle, ditto with all the overseas trips I do....much much easier and I can download books wherever I am at the time....sweet!!

No wonder Borders and co have gone belly up this is the way of the future.

yup there is so much to like about it. The size and weight is great and in fact i find it much more comfortable to read this, rather than the large books I usually read. Trying to read a Robert Jordan book whilst laying down is very very difficult and uncomfortable, reading a kindle in any position is easy

I am yet to experiment buying books other than Amazon....do you have any sugestions Dan of suitable stores....I am mainly into fiction.

About the only benefit I can see with buying elsewhere (other than cost) would be I could buy a second Kindle and my wife and I could share books with her, although largely we read different Genre's anyway so perhaps it's not a huge issue.

I havent had to buy any others yet, but check this out

http://www.elegantsimplelife.com/2010/05/best-sites-for-free-e-books-for-kindle/

Anywhere that sells them in .mobi or PDF will do but any version of ebook can be converted

Tip

If you want your battery to last longer turn OFF your wireless, mine lasted about 2 weeks and supposed to last a month.

yeah Also instead of holding the off button for 7 seconds hold it for 20 and it will turn off completely and conserve more battery than on stand by

I am loving mine - I wonder how long before i need to start purchasing books?

for me I have at least a years worth of reading on there. Haven't really heard from Fro about his yet. I am however yet to hear anyone who has one say anything bad about them.

Just on the battery again. The first charged lasted about two weeks, the second charge was 2 weeks ago and is still barely under 100% so it seems the second charge lasts longer

That makes sense - i also only put mine into sleep not full off

As for the books i have at least a year as well....loving it

yeah i only sleep mine unless I know I wont be reading it again for a day or two then I put it all the way off

Daniel said:
for me I have at least a years worth of reading on there. Haven't really heard from Fro about his yet.

Hehe I have yet to actually get my hands on it to read anything.

Got it last Thursday as a mothers day present for the wife. loaded a few books on it for her and had a fiddle on saturday. Since then i am no chance of getting a hold of it, and will probably need to order a 2nd one to get a look :)

Have a couple of thousand books on my HDD to sift through, even if 10% of them are worth reading that will keep me occupied for a while.

So i guess you could say my household is happy with it, will give my personal opinion when I can get a hold of the thing in a month or so :)

hahaha I thought that may happen. If your wife loves it then you are a good chance of getting one :)

Truly is a great product. Does everything it promises, none of the bells and whistles you don't need and is an example of a technological product that is made to do exactly one thing and excels at it

Agree

I just wish the Aus copyright laws allowed you to scan your own books into it

Daniel said:
yeah Also instead of holding the off button for 7 seconds hold it for 20 and it will turn off completely and conserve more battery than on stand by

Didn't know that one either!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6