Got my Kindle today

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
yeah I'd more than likely get a charger etc at teh time of order.

where do you find your best source for books from? do you go mainly for the amazon stuff or other places? and do you have any issues as far as conversion goes? as in formatting issues or the like.

I'm finding that places like the book depository still has DRM on some of their formats, is this a common issue or are there enough sources out there without those sort of probs?

- Conversions, haven't had an issue yet
- I have had a massive amount of eBooks for years that I used to read on my laptop when traveling for work
- Best source i would say would be ummmm when a stream floods it becomes a what? :D

- Amazon ones are pretty good and there are a large selection.
However if you can find them in PDF then you can either read them on the kindle or convert them easily.

I have had no issues at all really.

yeah I've downloaded a few freebies on my laptop, havent put my hand in my pocket given that reading on a computer isnt what i was after...

so i'm looking for a bigger flood?? lol

this is for the kindle 2 but still a lot of relevant links
http://ireaderreview.com/2009/04/17/top-50-kindle-tools-kindle-2-websites/

Daniel said:
Mark, your Kindle arrive yet?

Yep on Wednesday, all good download a couple of books and it's as easy as to use....I'll just to master buying e-books elsewhere and copying them on (rather than buying from Amazon the whole time)

Oh and bought the cover with the light...not bad but still prefer to have a normal reading light, and if I can use it ANYONE can.

I bought the Australian charger as well

What do you think of reading on it compared to a book?

Happy?

That seems to be the bugbear for most, the nostalgia and the whole "I like the feel of reading a book" BS

Just ordered a kindle for my wife for Mothers day. If she likes it i'll talk it up and get myself one, if she doesn't like it i'll score that one....

Win win stituation, for me at least :)

Haha nice work fro nice work.

I should get a bloody commission for theses things lol

Its not totally selfish, she is a reader as well, and will use it to store reference stuff for her study to save lugging a million printouts of pdfs.

the cheque is in the mail Dan

To me it reads just like a book, only easier and ever so much lighter....I bought the folder with the light.....probably not worth it, the light is quite weak and unless you have great eyes (most people my age don't) you would still need a light to read. I am doing a central Australia 4WD trip in July so will still need my miners light tgo read in bed.

thats handy to know Mark, I was lookign at that light situation as well so thats a handy tip, can get the clip on setups as well i guess.

I am looking at buying a clip-on one for about $5 from ebay

yup, with the advantage also being it doesnt weigh it down when not needed, i did see a shmick looking one yesterday dan, a "kandle" or some play on words I think.

It does slide back seamlessly into the Kindle cover so it is snazy....BUT I personally can't read it at night time with the light...but that's "old eyes" as well!!

Matabele said:
Just get an iPad.

Daniel said:
They are backlit and as such bad for your eyes. Also battery life is horrible. Kindle lasts 1 month on a single charge.

iPad is great for browsing the web and playing games.

Kindle is great for reading books.

There are those who get about here who say I am blinkered and cannot be budged. However, on Dan's (someone I respect) recommendation I now have a Kindle and am very happy with it.

FMD Dan you should have charged a spotters fee, ours was delivered today and I am in the process of fiddling with it as we speak.

I've yet to sit down and try and actually read a book on it but appears easy enough to use at first glance.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has the iPad and how they find it for reading books and other aps. It seems a better size to me but take on board all the good feedback on the Kindle.I like reference books (Science, History, with diagrams and images) so wondered if many of these have hit the eBook market and how they come out. Cheers.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7