Good win

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Good win, not a great one, but still showing gradual signs

We should be 4 straight now, but for a bad call we have won 3 of the last 4, and have a nice roll on and slowly creeping up the ladder

Our go forward is getting back to where it was the past couple of years, and from that Orford and Bailey are looking better each week

George Rose was outstanding, to come back from where he was and perform like this is making him 1 of my favourites

I was getting frustrated during the match that all of their tries were awarded straight away, especially the 2nd with the foot close to the line, yet our's were mostly heading upstairs, the biggest joke being Klein on top of the play with a clear view, and not being able to rule on the Matai try

1 thing frustrating me the most this season, is that we don't seem to have the killer instinct that we had in 08, to really put a team away. 2-3 times last night we got out to an 8 pt lead and I was expecting the foot to be on the throat, but we then let them back in

Will move onto a couple of players now we are at the halfway point of the season

Firstly Robbo at Fullback. I personally think he has improved every week, and is more than adequate filling in at fullback. He was great last night making some crucial plays. A lot said he would never be a fullback, has that position changed for many ?

Secondly, Bailey. Another that copped a pounding. I see plenty of good signs in the bloke personally, and think that like Robbo, he has been building. We should definitely be looking to have a runner off his hip because he always pokes the head through and has an arm free, The shame for me is that Matai and Lyon have both been getting injured this season so he has been shuffled out to centre on many occassions

Good summary, Kiwi.

Imagine how awesome Watmough would be if he could fix the drop ball in his game. He is always good for one, or two.

Like you said, every time we got to 8 point lead, we should have run away with it.

D. Williams needs to fix his defence a little, and I am waiting for T.Williams to run onto a ball at pace, and make breaks.

For his frame, why can't he take a few hit-ups off our line? Robbo, Matai and Williams are all happy to make dummy half runs, and would like that out of T.Rex.

Yeah, I did notice Des have a word 1 on 1 with Tony Williams at halftime which seemed animated

Don't really have any explanation for his lack of dummy half runs. maybe he doesn't have the pace off the mark to be effective ?

1 more thing I want to mention, Ballin's option taking when we are 10m out from the line needs some work as well. He overplays the flat ball to a forward too much, best shown up last night after Matai was held up on tackle 3 and he then selected 3 forward runners when Orford wanted the ball

Best games of the year for Bailey, Robbo, Choc.

Ox kicked well, but our attack still looks rushed, unconvincing.

I no longer feel confident when we're up by 6 with 10 to go, unlike last year when if we were in a similar situation i'd be sure that we'd kick on and win by 10-14.

Good effort from the forwards - particularly Choc who had a good workrate and has thankfully found his tryscoring ability again! Scored his first of the season against Parra, and now he's got two... We've been missing that. Welcome back Choc.

I went out after the match, and ran into a mate who hates Watmough with a passion. Loved rubbing that try into him. Glenn is also picking up form as well, although I think he moved into 5/8 last night

Yeah, better effort.  Agree with all the comments, especially Chocs talent for dropping the ball.  Anyway a win's a win, and I'm confident we can toss the Panthers, even at CUA.  They were very unconvincing beating the Tigers.  We just need to not lose concentration at times in defense.  The broken running of the Roosters winger, forgotten his name, was impressive, or at least our poor defense let it look impressive.  Both Williams boys need to put the shoulder in and think.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
the biggest joke being Klein on top of the play with a clear view, and not being able to rule on the Matai try

How bad was it to hear Klein say " he did get it down eventually " like giving an excuse for the Vid ref to award no-try,

I don't think he wanted him to score that one BE, after the verbal Matai gave him that he penalised he wasn't giving him anything

One area last night that manly are failing to do well like last year is the cover defence after a break is made. A number of times when a break is made, a manly player who is near an opposition support player doesn't keep up with him. They just seem to run back thinking the ball player will be tackled, when then the ball is passed to the support player whom the manly player did not bother keeping close enough to. They let them get 2 or so metres away and when the ball is passed, they are out of reach of the manly player.

A little more urgency in this area wouldn't go astray.

Otherwise the team are building slowly and nicely, but a long way to go this year and any back to back losses will probably be the end of our year.

It was a good win, I didn't even realise Lyon was off after 15 minutes till today. Watmough MOM for me. Bailey looked good, that pass to Robo for one of tries was very classy and he seems to be going well now.

I couldn't believe the second try for the Roosters was awarded straight away, it looked like he'd touched the sideline on the replay.

Cletus, Choco went well but the dropped ball is a constant irritant.  Needing to put sticky tape on his hands.  Robbo did indeed go well.  I particularly liked his covering of the 40/20s, the Rorter's speciality.   

DSM5 link said:
Cletus, Choco went well but the dropped ball is a constant irritant.  Needing to put sticky tape on his hands.  Robbo did indeed go well.  I particularly liked his covering of the 40/20s, the Rorter's speciality.   

I'd forgive Choc for dropping a ball or two. The way he tries to bust out tackles he's always going to drop one or two, but he more than makes up for it. I'm always more worried about his tackling and defense tbh, he can be a bit of a turnstile at times. If he can fix that up he's a moral for Origin.

Watched a bit of the local league wrap over here today

Brent Tate said we would make the finals
Peter Ropati thinks we are building nicely
Tawera Nikau suggested that all we have to do is get into the finals and we are a massive threat

Kiwi Eagle link said:

Tawera Nikau suggested that all we have to do is get into the finals and we are a massive threat

what are they seeing that I am missing?, we make sneek into the 8 but based on what I have seen this year to date thats as far as we can go.

If we make the 8 Pete, we would have made a fair run to get there

And with the possibility of Stewart returning, plus our finals experience, I would suggest even if we were only 6th, 7th or 8th the team we play would not be comfortable coming up against us

As an example the Warriors were playing awful footy this time last season and finished 1 game from the GF

Corso_Pete link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=180639.msg226509#msg226509 date=1244368811]

what are they seeing that I am missing?, we make sneek into the 8 but based on what I have seen this year to date thats as far as we can go.
[/quote]
Spot on corso we were lucky last night the roosters dropped the ball 3-4 times when they were attacking our line any other team would have scored.

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2