1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Luck Ashley Alberts

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by The Wheel, May 5, 2005.

1. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,761 / 72
    Well guys/gals our great white hope appears for the first time in Maroon & White this weekend.

Ashley was rated as the number 1 player in his age group 3 or 4 years ago and was considered "No 1 draft pick" when he went and played NRL with the Cowboys as a 17 year old. Other players who have left schoolboy footy with this reputation include Sterlo, Fittler, Brandy, SBW, Benji. This is by no means is a guarantee of success and I am sure there are many of a similiar ilk who have not made such lofty heights as the beforementioned (Mark Maclindden, Breet Gale and Ian Barkley are some examples of rare talents lost). However I am sure you get my drift.

He had such a big wrap that Wayne Bennett and his underhanded Bronco cohorts when to great measures to lure him from the Cowboys to the Broncos. Unfortunately injuries and some issues with adjusting to the big time slowed his expected progress.

Due to the expert talents of Crusher Cleal and Dennis Moore (Ashley's junior Kangeroo Coach) he arrived at Manly in 2005. Now fully recovered from a shoulder reconstruction I look forward to seeing him run around on Sunday.

My friends, even though I have never seen him play, I consider he may well be the answer to our percieved lack of talent in our backline. He has a pedigree and reputation that is 2nd to none (great judges like Bennett/Cleal have seen this) and comparing him to Paul Stephenson, Steve Matai and Karl Johnson is like comparing Phar Lap to Raddish.

So lets keep our fingers crossed that Ashley comes through this game successfully and it is the start of a long, great, distinguished career at the Sea Eagles. It may take time for him to find his feet but Ashley could be OUR MAN - Good Luck Ashley Alberts - AE is on your side.
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>

2. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    yup i am dieing to get down there and see him play

3. PEPSI

PEPSI Active Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    could not have put it better myself, will hopefully get to PL just to watch this fella play!

4. Volley

Volley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +581 / 21
    Good to see he's playing again, and at Manly. However I won't be getting excited until I see him play in first grade and going well. Till then, Good luck to the bloke, and hopefully he goes alright.

5. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    Lets remeber that he is come back from some major injury problems and will probably take some time to get in the swing of things.

He will need a fair bit of game time in both grades to get comfortable - and more so confident.

I to feel he could be the answer and am keen to see him play.

6. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    will be there watching!!! never been so keen to see a PL game.

7. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    I think I will get there to see it too. I liked it much more when PL finished 5 mins before 1st grade - the half hour for the on-field warm up sucks!

8. PEPSI

PEPSI Active Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    lol, De Ja Vu!

hope he isnt a bit of a "princess" :lol:

9. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    good old pepsi - first game back should be your best ever.

not the realist are you

10. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    Good luck to "prince Albert"

We need a quality centre. Hook in the christs sake!

11. CC_Eagle

CC_Eagle Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    !pray: !pray: !pray: !pray:

I'll be there for it.

12. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    I had a good chat with him at the Fans' Day and he is a great bloke. Very unassuming and modest, and yet you sense he has a quality about him that can't be coached.

It will take time and a lot of work to get back the timing in both attack and defence.

Go you good thing! !dance:

13. Blunty

Blunty Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would love to see.......

1. Stewart
    2. Donald
    3. Alberts
    4. Hicks
    5. Taylor

Taylor deserves a shot, IMO he is a lot better than Steppa. If Alberts is the goods, I'm afraid it might be time for Tezza to retire, just watch the Broncos game again and you'll know what I mean.

14. CC_Eagle

CC_Eagle Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

15. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    What side of the field will he play on??

16. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    Our side :lol: :lol:

17. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132