Good halves

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MWSE

Bencher
This weekend has outlined to me the importance for having at least one outstanding half. Teams with good halves stood up and got the job done, whilst those without really struggled to do anything with the ball.

The Broncos have struggled since Lockyer retired, the Dogs without Graham and Barba have been exposed, and to a lesser extent the Warriors with an injured half have really struggled so far. You can have the best forward pack in the game, but if you dont have someone to pull the strings, you are in serious strife.

Thankfully ours are young, locked up for a few more season, and are always putting in. Not to mention supremely talented. How many times when a ball has been kicked is Foz the first one there to tackle the catcher.

That's why I scoff when I hear ' experts' saying Manly is too old to be a premiership threat. We have two young, terrific half-five eights... that these same 'experts' said in 2011 were too inexperienced to make Manly a premiership threat.
Of course, we won in 2011, and this year we have plenty of young back-up players to complement our experienced top 13.
For 'experts' to declare Boncos "specials" to beat us just shows how little they know about our recruitment this year.

It was interesting reading the NRL.com's top 10 halves combos. DCE & Foran were rated no.2 behind Cronk & Widdop from the Storm. I would have it the other way around but maybe I'm biased!

The other good thing is that we have 2 good halves in reggies, Dane Chisholm & Jason Seage. Chiz is 22 & Seage 20 so have plenty of time to develop. I think Chiz is ready now. Seage is supposed to have a rugby 7's background but he reminds me more of Ian Martin our rugged 5/8 from the 70's with his tackling.

http://www.nrl.com/the-nrls-10-best-halves-combos/tabid/10874/newsid/70978/default.aspx

2. Kieran Foran & Daly Cherry-Evans

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles

They’re the young guns who led Manly to the 2011 NRL premiership and the 2012 Preliminary Final. How good are the precocious young playmakers at the Sea Eagles? Well, chances are they are going to get even better this season, following the appointment of legend Andrew Johns as Manly’s assistant coach. That’s impressive – and shocking for rivals – after a 2012 season that saw the duo clock 26 try assists, 13 line-breaks and 15 line-break assists in a team that also includes noted ball players Jamie Lyon and Brett and Glenn Stewart. The threat from the dynamic duo is all-round, and even when they’re stuck on the defensive they’re a big chance of turning a new leaf, too – Cherry-Evans is ranked second in the league for 40/20s behind Cooper Cronk, with four in 2012.

1. Gareth Widdop & Cooper Cronk

Melbourne Storm

The all-conquering, world-dominating, award-winning duo have nothing to prove… but we reckon they’ll silence any remaining foolhardy critics for good in 2013, anyway. The uber-professional Cronk and the unassuming Widdop form a perfect partnership that’s led the Storm to the Telstra Premiership and World Club Challenge. Could they do it again in 2013? After seasons where both Churchill Medalist Cronk (32 try assists, five 40/20s and 26 line-break assists) and Widdop (15 try assists, 17 line-break assists) sat near the top of several key statistical categories, we can’t see them – or their team – letting it slip this season. Expect to see plenty more of Cronk’s playmaking powers and Widdop’s wondrous running and support play in 2013.

I think fergal sharkey said it all. A good half these days is hard to find.

Since i have been at work today i have done nothing but gloat to workmates who support other teams about how good Foz and Chezza were on Friday night and how good Joey Johns has been for their games. We have been blessed by the Halves Gods

This is why we had sign both of them before anyone else last year. We can build the team around them for the next decade. Adding Joey to the mix this year and even after only 1 game you could see the difference. Great year ahead if Foz and DCE stay on rhe paddock.

Halves will always be important and improve your chances of winning it all. While it can be done without elite halves, it's proven that they can make a good team great and a contender a champion. We are really in good shape for the coming years with Kieran and Daly at the helm. As it was stated you can have the best forward pack in the world but if you have no one to marshall the troops, then it's harder to succeed. Also you can have a great backline but if your halves can't direct them properly then the structure wont be present. I was really stoked we secured Joey exclusively to coach our players especially the halves. I could really see the effect his input has had in the win over the Broncos. Fozz was outstanding in all facets, attacking the line, playmaking, kicking and guiding the team. DCE really kicked into gear in the 2nd half and made his presence felt, even setting up the last try with a great hit that led to Wolfmans try. I'm really looking forward to this year as I think our halves are going to go off like they did in 2011. If they do there's no doubt we've got a chance to be last men standing this season.

Titans are a classic example. They have a great forward pack
but their lack of halves will cost them as it did tonight. They should have won that game but lack of direction and decision at crucial times cost them.

the mauler said:
This is why we had sign both of them before anyone else last year. We can build the team around them for the next decade. Adding Joey to the mix this year and even after only 1 game you could see the difference. Great year ahead if Foz and DCE stay on rhe paddock.

with this in mind we need to secure joey's services on a longer contract than he is already on(that's if he is on a contract & not a wage).

mickqld said:
but their lack of halves will cost them as it did tonight. They should have won that game but lack of direction and decision at crucial times cost them.

Agree Mick.I thought the Sharks look lost quite a bit as well.Robson is a reserve grader and Carney seems to just float in and out of games.I thought the sharks still looked slow as well and the Titans pack was running all over them at the death.Their outside backs are ordinary.

Putting aside the drugs stuff the sharks are still way short of premiership material in my opinion.

Titans at home will be a tough game for us though.

susan said:
mickqld said:

Agree Mick.I thought the Sharks look lost quite a bit as well.Robson is a reserve grader and Carney seems to just float in and out of games.I thought the sharks still looked slow as well and the Titans pack was running all over them at the death.Their outside backs are ordinary.

Putting aside the drugs stuff the sharks are still way short of premiership material in my opinion.

Titans at home will be a tough game for us though.
Just keep running at their hooker and short kick off to idris side. Scoreboard pressure will lead to their halves making bad decisions.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6