Golden Point in the Grand Final

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Sideline Eye

Reserve Grader
What's everyone's thought on the golden point in the grand final? Bennett has come out bagging it whilst Smith, although leaving the door open for debate, confirmed it's here to stay.

Whilst I don't mind it in regular games perhaps an alternative would be for each team to play out the full 10 minutes regardless of who scores first and if both teams are tied at the end of the 10min then play on until the first team scores. It could possibly lead to teams playing for up to 100 minutes or more but this is what they train for and would really demonstrate their character and resilience and eliminate rants like those from Bennett and his supporters and wouldn't impact on a player emotionally like it would have on Hunt

Just a thought.

Golden point is a farce.

To confirm this, all you need to do is compare the way the Cows were playing in the last 5 minutes of regular time and throughout the golden point period.

As I said before, as soon as Hunt dropped that kick off, the players may as well have just shaken hands.

If it's all tied up after 75 and the last 5 turns into a quest for field goal, I have no problem with that. But to play a little "mini game" of first team to 1 wins......what a joke.

But isn't that the purpose of the game to play for the full 80 min of regular time regardless of how you play throughout. Sure one team may have played better overall than the other but the winner is the one who prevails in the end regardless. Yes the Cowboys only started coming good towards the latter end of the second half but the Broncos needed to muscle up and prevent them from scoring. In the end the Cows capitalized by scoring in the corner through a poor read by the winger who came in rather than marking his man.

I for one believe golden point is an anticlimax because all teams ever seem to do is go for a field goal just like a goal shoot out in the soccer after full and extra time.

To make the game more exciting, they should let the teams play out the full 10 min of extra time regardless if a team kicks a field goal in the first few minutes like Thurston did. At least this way the opposition has the chance of either kicking a field goal to tie the game up or score a try or kick a penalty goal to win whilst the opposition will have to dig deep and defend and avoid making an error. It would also justify who the real champions are.

I can live with golden point in regular season....just.

But for finals it should definitely be 10 minutes extra each way. If still tied after that then go to golden point. Having your whole season come down to a field goal contest is ridiculous. The way the Cowboys won the title because of a simple knock on detracted from the game, which up until that point was a great contest. To have it end the way it did was a let down, the game and the players deserved better.

No, I can't live with Golden Point in the regular season. It is such a shattering way to lose after being the equal of your opposition for the 80-minutes. Plus, the refs don't worry about rules in Golden Field Goal time, as we know only too well with the Josh Renolds farce in the 2014 finals.
Gaining one point from a draw can make a huge difference to where a team finishes at the end of the season.
In finals, I'm for the 10 minutes extra, then Golden Field Goal if the scores are still level.

Remember the World Cup semi in 95 aust vs nz? It was awesome. 10 mins of extra time.

Nz scored near 80 mins then ridge lined up the sideline conversion to win the game. Missed, a rare miss for ridgy.

Then tezza and beaver put on some great work to win it for the Kangaroos.

I think 10 mins extra time without golden point would be more fitting for semis and gf.

Agreed.

Can live with golden point anywhere else, but in the GF, 10 minutes each way, if scores level after 80 minutes.
Then, golden point.

And for all of Wayne Bennet's very good points, those comments post game showed him up to be the worst, most ungracious sore loser ever.

If Carney or Joey or Tooves or Dessie or Mundine or anyone else had've done the same thing, the whole world would be calling them a Dickhead / Loser - so let's call a spade a spade.

26 rounds of blood sweat and tears along with months of pre season training and your season is decided by a coin toss.

The Broncos had the perfect chance to win the game only for Hunt to blow it.

Extra time has to be the best option.

That said I am still glad sour puss Clints team lost.

I personally dislike golden point fullstop
I'd rather have 1 point for the draw
In the finals its extra time 10 mins each way then if its still a draw another 10 mins keep going to you get a result
With golden point a team can have no point of reply by losing the coin toss

The biggest problem with Golden Point is that it allows morons like Checchin to determine the outcome.

Agree golden point is an absolutely ludicrous system to have in place for semi finals. 5 or 10 mins extra each way is the only fair way to decide games that are that important.

If the game is still drawn after extra time then go to golden point.

I don't rate it for premiership matches either.

the players can handle extra time.. they are professional footballers now (not daytime plumbers, cellarmen, concreters etc), they have interchange and they have needles, drugs etc.. another 20 minutes won't kill them... and they get paid quite well.

say NO to Golden Point.. I'm with Wayne the Whinger ..... unless Manly win because of it.

Last edited:
I hate Golden point altogether. If its a draw during the season shares the points.
I think in a grand Final...extra 10 mins if still no result golden point, but no re toss of the coin, just keep going from the final 5 each way.
Golden Point......just another rigging mechanism......best Pick the Margins are when the draws happen (golden point doe not matter when the money is the to be made).....

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2