Goals in the off-season

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
It is quite possible, without the dreaded curse of injuries and suspensions, that we will finish minor premiers in 2014. Toovey was used to dominating in our stellar 90s team and we could be quite ruthless next year, bouncing back with a vengeance.

With all the young forwards recruited and some oldies let go, it's clear that our style will be different next year. Our halves will play with more self-preservation in mind, using the plethora of young forwards as battering rams to punch holes.

I posted earlier this year that I was disappointed that Buhrer wasted the off-season by not reshaping his body, by adding another 5kg of muscle to his frame. So he needs to get that right this off-season, lifting heavier weights than he has ever lifted before.

Hasson also needs another 5kg and could do with some sprint work. Tough ask to build strength and speed at the same time, but possible.

São needs less baby fat and a sculptured frame. All the young forwards need to make the best use of the offseason building strength and speed. Expectations of them will be quite simple - hit the line as hard and as fast as you can ... and leave the rest to our experienced superstars.

... and DCE should practice goal kicking every day in the offseason, public holidays excluded.

Getting Snake's hamstring, Choc's knee completely mended. Not too sure about Gifty's knees, ribs, not too sure if King should play on. Richie' neck, concussion also needs close monitoring.

Most of them are carrying injuries and the biggest goal of the offseason is for everyone to get mended, fully fit. Believe the Stewart Bros, Choc, JB, Ballin should all declare themselves unavailable for SOO.

silvertail said:
It is quite possible, without the dreaded curse of injuries and suspensions, that we will finish minor premiers in 2014. Toovey was used to dominating in our stellar 90s team and we could be quite ruthless next year, bouncing back with a vengeance.

São needs less baby fat and a sculptured frame. All the young forwards need to make the best use of the offseason building strength and speed. Expectations of them will be quite simple - hit the line as hard and as fast as you can ... and leave the rest to our experienced superstars.

I'm very impressed you got that squiggly thing over the 'a' in sao.

*GE's first off season goal of complimenting a fellow poster..
images

There is no doubt to me that 2013 (and even 2012 to some extent) demonstrated that we have the most outstanding team in the NRL, with individuals who play selflessley for each other and have a beautiful flow to their game.
Manly also play the game the right way and most entertaining way with sweeping backline moves and chip kicks rather than bomb lotteries like other teams. Manly also don't lie down like Souths or wrestle like Melbourne.

The problem facing Manly's future is that the Roosters showcased (whether you like it or not) a "new wave" type of team with tall timber wingers, bomb happy halves, speedy centres and strikepower in the forwards. Compared to the Roosters, I think Manly looked small and were shown to be vulnerable to the exact factors I predicted: Speed (Jennings), height (wingers) and strikepower ($BWilliams). Let's face it, the Roosters only played well for about 20 minutes Sunday and still got the cash.

So my goals for Manly are threefold:

* more height on the wing (sorry Wolfie - withdraw his contract bring back Hoppa on a backended one)

* more brute/size in the forwards - we have the strikepower with Watmough and Lawrence, and some size with Horo, creativity with Glenn, and a solid workaholic Ballin - but the guy to replace Kitey will have to be a big front rower in the Hargreaves, Perry, or Crocker mould with a bit of mongrel. Find that man and we may have a shot next year. Even though in 2012/13 we looked the best team, we lost a bit of that ability to grind teams to death that we had in 2008 and 2011. That has to come back.

* a stronger bench that can add more minutes in improve strikepower. Rose is gone which is good. He was limited in minutes.
We need Faoso, T-Red and Hiku there and a young tall forward in the Lussick or Hasson mould (perhaps he will develop). Some young mobile forwards need to be developed to be backups to injuries.

These are my thoughts.

NYEagle

Grill these new front rowers in early training to work out the best options from day 1, this will be the area to ensure is in good order.
Get Jake trbojevic around the top graders as much as possible, as he will be of massive importance in 2014. Have noticed many leaving him out of the top 17 when selecting the lineup for 2014. Be assured, he WILL be there & an integral part in the near future.
Have full faith in where Tooves is taking this team & the attack will only improve with his open style structures & improved support play.
The defence was effective in most areas though practising defusing the cross field kicks including more coverage for the wingers, contesting & also working on belting the attacker mid flight which is totally legal while defending, at very least locking up the ball in this situation.
Keeping in mind its great sharing ideas here, but Tooves & Co will already be covering all these issues & many more - champion.

I think as many of us as possible should post our goals and obsevartions to this thread, and lets have one of the senior guys on here to print out or forward our thoughts on a dongle to Toovey and the coaching staff just for them to browse through and get a few ideas from the fans perspective.

NYEagle

silvertail said:

With all the young forwards recruited and some oldies let go, it's clear that our style will be different next year. Our halves will play with more self-preservation in mind, using the plethora of young forwards as battering rams to punch holes.

I posted earlier this year that I was disappointed that Buhrer wasted the off-season by not reshaping his body, by adding another 5kg of muscle to his frame. So he needs to get that right this off-season, lifting heavier weights than he has ever lifted before.

Hasson also needs another 5kg and could do with some sprint work. Tough ask to build strength and speed at the same time, but possible.

... and DCE should practice goal kicking every day in the offseason, public holidays excluded.

I have e-mail this to Donny Singe with your recommendations.

globaleagle said:
silvertail said:

images

I believe the "squiggly thing" is a circumflex. (lets not go into diphthongs or monophthongs or metaplasms)

Jatzs off season goal ? Source a copy of Globals really neat, green tick, symbol.

Watch Australia regain the Ashes with the worst 11 cricketers I have even seen play in the baggy green.

I asked Donny Singe on Facebook last night:

Q:Donny... Which of the young guys should we expect to see in the NRL next year?

A:paul, at the moment I can only vouch for Chee kam and Hasson, serious promise in the physical department, I leave the football opinion to Brad,Dave and Geoff!

bones said:

Q:Donny... Which of the young guys should we expect to see in the NRL next year?

A:paul, at the moment I can only vouch for Chee kam and Hasson, serious promise in the physical department, I leave the football opinion to Brad,Dave and Geoff!

Thanks for that mate, I am a huge Hasson fan.

Will play rep footy imo, thought he should of got the GF nod ahead of Gower just for the sake of experience.

bob dylan said:
bones said:

Thanks for that mate, I am a huge Hasson fan.

Will play rep footy imo, thought he should of got the GF nod ahead of Gower just for the sake of experience.

I thought so too. I loved the aggression he showed when manly played the chooks at Allianz during the regular season. He has a heap of potential.

Jatz Crackers said:
globaleagle said:
silvertail said:

images

I believe the "squiggly thing" is a circumflex. (lets not go into diphthongs or monophthongs or metaplasms)

Jatzs off season goal ? Source a copy of Globals really neat, green tick, symbol.

Circumflex? It didn't look Jewish!

tick = https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlBDOInRHa6atIKJ0C8LCDEwbh6ksL0Jq-4a-ir0ccHRBDO0JV

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6