Goalkicking

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ALinda

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Surprised there isn't a thread on this already, so I'll start.

Anyway, obviously the missed goals tonight were very disappointing and a concern going into the finals. Admittedly, it wouldn't have helped Killer taking an apparent injury into the game.

But I can't understand why Jamie doesn't hand the goalkicking over to someone else (like Cherry, or even Matai) who are quite capable!!! After several failed attempts, why wouldn't he? :huh:

Missed goals could really make a difference in a finals game!

Yeah lyons goal kicking has been a frustrating thing this season. For the last 3 seasons we havnt had a reliance most games on goal kicking due to our ability to score tries. But it is a concern.

I remember in 2011 DCE had the goal kicking and after he gave it up him game improved dramatically. I dare say its was a detrement to his game. But he was a debutant then, now he is much more experienced.

Im not sure what DCE goalkicking is like now, but who do we have as a replacement?

Practice and some confidence will help Killer. He is in a funk but I am confident he will bounce back!

His kicks against the Storm weren't even close. Needs Graham Arnold to lend a hand?

Hmm. 8 tries between the two teams tonight...and ONE was converted (not counting the penalty kick). Odd.

I didn't know Killer was carrying an injury. He is a champion though and champions lift for big matches. We are far ahead of when Orford had the kicking duties, but it's a shame we miss the extra two points so many times lately. A good thing we've got so many tries in us.

But what does Toovey do? Tap Killer on the shoulder? I don't think so. Unless Lyon dips out by his own choice (due to this injury) he should keep kicking. He has such an instinct for Rugby League he will kick the goals when it counts. Surely.

He seems to either be big time on where he slots them from everywhere (like last week) or off where he can miss from in front.

I would like to see him continue to start but hand it over if its an off night

Will probably come back to haunt us in regards to our for and against.
We will in all probability finish fourth as Melbourne have a far easier game against the Titans in Melbourne than what we have against Penrith, which means we will in all probability play Souths as I can't see the Roosters beating them.
Still, the guys have a point to prove against Souths after the last game, so I'm only worried about the refereeing.

My thoughts on Killer's goal kicking were made in last nights game thread:

Jethro said:
Ahhhrrrggg !!! Bloody Killer's lack of goal kicking ability again tonight.

Jethro said:
Chip and Chase said:
Gee lucky this isn't a close game, Killer is having an off night with the boot.

That is the only thing that I can constantly fault in every one of Killer's games this year. I have no confidence in any of his goal kicking from anywhere near the sidelines

Killer still seems to get the kicks when it really matters. When did we last lose because of goal kicking? Rd2 vs Titans? All of this unconverted tries were from near touch I think.

Warriors: Lost by 2
Roosters: were losing by 2 until the last minute
Titans: lost by 2
Bulldogs at Brookvale: lost by 2, kicking was perfect though in this game
Melbourne in Melbourne

We win 3 of those, we're minor premiers: Warriors, Titans, Melbourne would put us equal with the Rabbitohs but with a better points differential

As long as it's not caused by injury, it's probably quite good timing for Jamie to have to refresh his kicking expertise at this time. At his best he is a tremendous goal kicker.

Back in 2008, Killer showed us the scar on his leg/ ankle where he had an op & told us that was the reason he shouldn't be kicking. Ox was then our kicker :(

2009 and beyond, Jamie is slotting them from all over the park.
2013, he is starting to lose form ... or.... his kicking form could (at times) be better.

He'll know what to do. He is too humble to think like Ox and take them all the time when he knows someone else is more reliable.

As a Fox commentator said "Lyon is like Darren Lockyer. He would be quite happy to pass on the kicking duties, except no one has stepped up to take over."

Cut killer some slack people.

He was too tired from making breaks and setting up tries to kick goals.

In all seriousness, he has the odd off night. We'll just have to accept it.

I wonder why Matai hasnt been considered for the goal kicking duties. Maybe he doesnt have the accuracy, but he certainly has the distance. Seems he has to be so careful when kicking off from half way not to kick over the dead ball line as he has done a few times. He looks like he could kick a goal from 60-70 metres out, somewhat comparable to Brentnall at his peak.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4