Go Ox - Golden Boot?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
Not good enough for nation, but Orford may be world's best
November 17, 2008

A PLAYER deemed unworthy of a Rugby League World Cup squad place is vying for top honours at the inaugural Rugby League International Federation awards in Brisbane tonight.

Manly halfback Matt Orford won the Dally M Medal on the way to steering the Sea Eagles to an incredible 40-0 NRL grand final win over Melbourne - yet he still missed Australian selection for the Cup tournament.

But Orford will still get a chance to add to his honours this year when he vies for the RLIF Player of the Year award at Suncorp Stadium.

He will line up against fellow Australians Cam Smith, Billy Slater and Greg Inglis - the Storm trio who went on to earn World Cup honours. Smith won the award last year.

The rest of the field will be made up of English Super League stars James Graham, Leon Pryce, both of St Helens, and the Leeds pair of Jamie Peacock and Rob Burrow.

Judging by Orford's nomination, the awards won't be including form shown at the World Cup - and just as well for the English.

England completed a woeful Cup tournament when they were bounced out 32-22 by New Zealand in Saturday night's semi-final in Brisbane, their third loss in four games.

While Graham, the reigning Super League Man of Steel and England captain Peacock were impressive, and diminutive halfback Burrow showed sparks of brilliance during the tournament, Saints playmaker Pryce was one of the flops.

RLIF organisers said they decided to mark the game's centenary - which coincides with the 2008 World Cup - by introducing the awards that will recognise achievements in the year to last month.

The Player of the Year will be one of several RLIF awards to be presented. Others include team, coach and referee of the year.

The night will also feature International Rookie of the Year for Test debutants under 21 and a Spirit of Rugby League gong awarded to those who have made a "significant contribution to the game in their lifetime".

The federation awards precede the traditional player of the year award, the Golden Boot.

The Golden Boot Award will be presented at the Rugby League Players' Association annual awards in Sydney on November 29.

AAP

Never mind if people here like him or not, but i hope he gets it.  If he does can you imagine the outrage from other fans?  Too funny! 
We gotta be favourites to get team of the year though you'd think.  40-0 for goodness sake!

The Wheel link said:
A PLAYER deemed unworthy of a Rugby League World Cup squad place is vying for top honours at the inaugural Rugby League International Federation awards in Brisbane tonight.

He will line up against fellow Australians Cam Smith, Billy Slater and Greg Inglis - the Storm trio who went on to earn World Cup honours. Smith won the award last year.

How did Smith win it last year if this its inaugural award??

It's Cam Smith. There doesn't even have to be an award for him to be given it.
Slater must be dirty.

I can barely stand to watch the world cup coverage at the moment given the amount of wankage that goes on about Slater.

Every time he touches the ball you have to sit through 5 minutes of nothing but "oh my god, I can't believe his ability, jeez did you see him catch that ball, oh I can't get over him...".

It borders on repulsive to be honest.

DVS Matt link said:
Slater will win IMO

Sun shines out of his arse at the moment

Hasn't been much sunshine lately, too many commentators blocking the sunlight

He must struggle to sit down for days after he has played a match

A lovely irony would be for Slater to get a trophy of him sliding on his bum to miss Robbo and get nothing in one of those cowardly attempts to stop a try, with his boot in gold!!!

Slater won it.

Positive is Hasler got coach of the year.

No manly players named in team of the year.

Fullback: Billy Slater (Melbourne Storm).

Winger: Manu Vatuvei (Warriors, NZ).

Centre: Israel Folau (Melbourne Storm).

Five-eighth: Greg Inglis (Melbourne Storm).

Halfback: Scott Prince (Gold Coast Titans).

Lock: Paul Gallen (Cronulla Sharks).

Second Row: Gareth Ellis (Leeds, England) and Anthony Laffranchi (Gold Coast Titans).

Front Row: James Graham (St Helens, England).

Hooker: Cam Smith (Melbourne Storm)

Coach of the Year: Des Hasler (Manly).

Rookie of the Year: Israel Folau (Melbourne Storm).

As said in another thread - did any of these clowns who voted watch the grand final??

Interesting that Slater won this bunny award.  Hasler showed just how easy it is to shut down this player.  The Flashy and Grubby boot is my award for this creep.  We won the GF, which is all that really matters in the long run.  No-one remembers who wins these 'insiders' awards.  And, I'd add, that any winner would swap these 'awards' for a GF ring in an instant. 

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2