Glenn's progress

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Stevo said:
Oh, So there weren't people that thought Glenn Should be benched and even people who claimed he was passed his best?

Maybe i watched a different game to you yesterday because i thought he played well.

As far as I'm concerned, Glenn Stewart is a champion player who was brought back before he was ready to fill holes created by other injured or suspended forwards.

Stevo said:
I disagree. I think he was under cooked and had come back to early. Had we had the cattle at the time i think he would have been given an couple of weeks to get right.

So you wanted him to not play for a period until he was in better physical condition like most of the "egg on the faces people" you are having a dig at.

Does that mean you have egg on your face?

All I can see is vindication so far. The bloke was underdone and should have spent more time on the bench getting some fitness given we had Symonds to cover for most of the period. If that happened we probably would have won 2 more games and be in 3rd and a reasonable chance of a home semi final pick, something that may make the difference in this years chances, every advantage helps.

Fluffy said:
So you wanted him to not play for a period until he was in better physical condition like most of the "egg on the faces people" you are having a dig at.

All I can see is vindication so far. The bloke was underdone and should have spent more time on the bench getting some fitness given we had Symonds to cover for most of the period. If that happened we probably would have won 2 more games and be in 3rd and a reasonable chance of a home semi final pick, something that may make the difference in this years chances, every advantage helps.

Exactly what i'm saying! Only that's not what others were saying.

Question 1. How is it fair to criticize a bloke for coming back early from injury to fill holes left by injury and suspension? Are you serious in blaming Glenn for the losses? How can you not also blame the fact that his brother was also not on the field for much of that period?

Question 2. If he had have come back on the bench, where (in relation to complete match fitness) do you think he would be now? How does a player who plays full games in the back row get back to full fitness playing half a game off the bench? Wouldn't that have prolonged him playing at half pace?

I don't think the criticism of him is at all warranted and i think your claim that we lost 2 games due to the fact that he was on the field not Tom Symonds is complete fu**in bull****.

[/color]

Stevo said:
Fluffy said:

Exactly what i'm saying! Only that's not what others were saying.

Question 1. How is it fair to criticize a bloke for coming back early from injury to fill holes left by injury and suspension? Are you serious in blaming Glenn for the losses? How can you not also blame the fact that his brother was also not on the field for much of that period?

Question 2. If he had have come back on the bench, where (in relation to complete match fitness) do you think he would be now? How does a player who plays full games in the back row get back to full fitness playing half a game off the bench? Wouldn't that have prolonged him playing at half pace?

I don't think the criticism of him is at all warranted and i think your claim that we lost 2 games due to the fact that he was on the field not Tom Symonds is complete fu**in bull****.

[/color]

1. What holes? We had Symonds starting and playing well. Also, by your logic how can anyone criticize any player for that matter when we don't know everything about their off season, personal life, training, coaches plan, niggling injuries or what they ate for breakfast? Shut the forums now.

2. He may well be ahead in fitness as super fatiguing the body will slow down recovery. Even if he was behind it wouldn't be far behind.

If he wasn't as fatigued his decision making and execution would have been far better on the field, which in a 2 point ball game would probably have been the difference, especially given Symonds was on fire at the time.

I understand that you think he can do no wrong but his first 10 games back before last week (yes, thats how many he has been playing poor for) were 10 of the worst games he has played since cementing his spot in first grade.

Blah blah blah. Nothing new here. Of course he can do wrong in my eyes. I never said he was playing well. All i've stated is that the people saying he is passed his best and doesn't deserve to be there are full of ****. What Holes? King, Galuvau, B.Stewart Fa'aoso are pretty big holes. Do you think there wasn't massive pressure on him to come back early. Super fatiguing? Nice made up term. Fatigue is fatigue mate.

Anyway, you're wrong. Geoff Toovey agrees with me. I'm right.

Stevo said:
Blah blah blah. Nothing new here. Of course he can do wrong in my eyes. I never said he was playing well. All i've stated is that the people saying he is passed his best and doesn't deserve to be there are full of s**t. What Holes? King, Galuvau, B.Stewart Fa'aoso are pretty big holes. Do you think there wasn't massive pressure on him to come back early. Super fatiguing? Nice made up term. Fatigue is fatigue mate.

What Holes? King, Galuvau, B.Stewart Fa'aoso. They are not holes they are ****ing Craters !!!

It obviously does not occur to some but do you think maybe the coach/coaching staff were also behind pushing Glenn Stewarts return. The decision isnt ENTIRELY up to him , he openly said he lacked match fitness and good football would be weeks away. He knew this and Manly knew this but they obviously made the call to persist with him in the early stages of his return so that it would be more beneficial in the long run and I think we are starting to see it now!

I would rather see Gift 100% fit coming into the business end of the season , rather than still trying to gather full fitness and cohession with the team because of spells off the bench here and there.

Starting to see him come good now which im sure was the plan!

No doubt he was down on form but I am sure he is building. Calls for him to dumped and that he was past it were crazy imo. These calls were probably coming from the same people who said DCE was no good after his first game, Jorge was useless and not a 1st grader, Joe G was past it etc etc. Some people purely look at the short term results/picture.

susan said:
Gift probably played as bad as I have seen him for 40 minutes last night. Straightened up in second half and was much better.

But this whole debate re Glen is ridiculous.He is a hardened warrior coming off 2 major injuries playing in a depleted forward pack who is trying too hard to make his presence felt.Each week you see flashes of the stuff that made him an eagle legend and he will get better when he gets the finals scent in his nostrils.Even if he doesn't improve massively he is far better than the other options which leads me to the next point.

The flip side to this is the equally ridiculous talk about Hasson, Skinner etc taking gifts place while he has a stint in reserve grade.Young forwards drop in and out of games and make errors but the good ones show flashes of ability that make you stand up and take notice very early on.You could tell blokes like Cordner,Papali.Burgess,Docker etc were made for first grade straight away.

What I see in Hasson,Skinner,Gower is nothing.Simple as that.They look like fringe first graders/reserve graders at best.They play in a seconds side where the forwards are dominated basically every week and in the 3 or 4 games I have seen they don't stand out even at that level.The wraps that seem to be on Hasson amaze me to be honest. Against a z grade cowboys pack last night he was not sighted in the early exchanges.All these guys try but in my opinion lack class.

I have been on record as saying we wont match it with the best sides at the pointy end because of our injuries etc and I think that will end up being the case.But there is one area where we do have an advantage.We have blokes like Choc/Kite/Glen who have spilt maroon blood for years and know how to win big games under immense pressure-they get the job done even if they are not in top form.

Anyone who doesn't want Gift in a Manly jersey against the massive bunnies pack in a semi final is simply out of their mind.He knows how to get it done and has more class in his left pinky than those who would replace him.

Hasson was playing under 20's last year for the sharks. I think he has some real talent. Give him another off season with Donny and crew and he will be mixing it with the best. Just a kid like Ligi
Agree with the comments on Gift. Well said!

Stevo said:
Blah blah blah. Nothing new here. Of course he can do wrong in my eyes. I never said he was playing well. All i've stated is that the people saying he is passed his best and doesn't deserve to be there are full of s**t. What Holes? King, Galuvau, B.Stewart Fa'aoso are pretty big holes. Do you think there wasn't massive pressure on him to come back early. Super fatiguing? Nice made up term. Fatigue is fatigue mate.

Toovey doesn't agree with you as he didn't have him plugging your big holes in the front row or playing at fullback so I guess its **** on face VS egg on face, You can keep your **** and I will have my egg, eventually, hopefully after 3 months or more.

Fluffy said:
Stevo said:

Toovey doesn't agree with you as he didn't have him plugging your big holes in the front row or playing at fullback so I guess its s**t on face VS egg on face, You can keep your s**t and I will have my egg, eventually, hopefully after 3 months or more.

Lol you've got nothing mate. It doesn't matter whether the holes are in the front row, fullback, half back or quarterback. When the team has to be reshuffled to fill the void left by 4 players and when your starting team is down on that much firepower then those holes are craters like BOZO said. Glenn Stewart had to come back and there was no way he was ever going to play anywhere but starting back row. I'd rather an underdone G. Stewart mid season than an underdone G. Stewart in the finals.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6