Glenn Stewart return

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If he cant be selected in the team, the NRL should do the right thing for once and issue Glenn an "Honorary Ring" on GF Day.

Failing that, Brett or someone could share their ring with him . .
Because We IS gonna win this thang !

Brissie Kid said:
Mark from Brisbane said:
Probably never see him play again in Manly colours , think he's a further two months away.

Hopefully that's enough for Souths to pull out of the contract on medical grounds. A fit Gift ready to fire for Manly 2015 sounds good.

We can only dream I suppose !

Brissie Kid said:
Mark from Brisbane said:
Probably never see him play again in Manly colours , think he's a further two months away.

Hopefully that's enough for Souths to pull out of the contract on medical grounds. A fit Gift ready to fire for Manly 2015 sounds good.

About as much chance as Gifty sporting that glorious head of hair!

COMMANDER said:
I've said it before, but how do you let a guy with a broken ankle return to the field? Was it that it wasn't broken and he was allowed back on and then broke it or was it broken when he returned to the field that day?

Maybe it was all part of the sinister plot to stall contract negotiations!
;)

I'm not a doctor but I'm sure bad ankle breaks (if he played on with a break it is bad) I think sometimes it can require ankle fusion surgery which can drastically impact running, or maybe you can't run at all?? Is it possible that it's the end all together? The club has been awfully quiet.

Bunnies have getting very nervous about this signing for a long time.

This news wont help them.

From our point of view he was going to be the icing on our premiership cake. If we were to lose Buhrer or Choc at least we had Glenn.

Meh, he's been crap since 2012, Buhrer and Symonds are much better options. It's sad how many people can't realise that he's had it as an NRL player. I really can't see him doing well at Souths.

Manly To Win! said:
Meh, he's been crap since 2012, Buhrer and Symonds are much better options. It's sad how many people can't realise that he's had it as an NRL player. I really can't see him doing well at Souths.

Harsh, he's hurt but has he really had it? Re-posting this to remind you
http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2014/07/23/manly_v_warriors_highlights_round_22_2013.html

Shoe1 said:
Manly To Win! said:

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2014/07/23/manly_v_warriors_highlights_round_22_2013.html

Wow! I'm going to miss him :(

Manly To Win! said:

That's why people like you and me are not NRL coaches, no idea :)

Manly To Win! said:

I think the powers that be agree as we didn't re- sign him. However, my opinion is the exact opposite. He's so much better than ferris in so many ways. Ferris is a lightweight. Gifty fit is several classes above him.

Napper said:
Shoe1 said:
Manly To Win! said:

Wow! I'm going to miss him :(

Absolutely! He's mesmerizing.

G.Stewart since 2009 has in large patches of the season struggled with the pace of the game, rarely runs a good sharp line and is not a ball running threat or decoy option---- put on a little too much weight and lacking sharpness to his all round game.

His great right side ball-playing, tough ball and all defence and leadership qualities have been more than enough to hide his flaws but it is now time for Manly to move on and develop new structures that will take us forward for the next 6-8yrs.

All this talk about management not wanting Glenn is total crap in my opinion---the coach and retention department made a tough decision and he was no longer in their plans to move forward.

I do agree with Foran that they(Coach and retention) did underestimate the response from the senior playing group.

Sometimes you have to weigh up the leadership qualities one player brings to the team over just raw performance numbers. I can already see areas in our game lacking his toughness and rumours of the young players not buying into the culture the senior playing group has developed over the years.

Do I think Manly made the correct decision to let Glenn go "Yes", would I pick Buhrer over a fit G.Stewart if the GF is tomorrow no, but I would pick Buhrer over Glenn looking over an entire season or wanting to improve Manly's structures moving into a new era.

"Sometimes" the best change for a forward in their 30's is to start fresh at a new club with a point to prove, they make the best value purchases as Manly can attest to.

When a player starts to lift their game due to the motivation of "having a point to prove" it means their days at a club are numbered. At the same club it is hard to maintain the rage under that kind of motivation for years to come, at a new club this burning fire to prove the doubters wrong tends to last a little longer and will see out his career.

Toovey's judgement day as a coach arrives when he has to transition this quality ageing backline(that is covering our forward deficiencies) and hopefully keep one of our halves to build around. The senior playing group is still the driving force of discipline and culture at the club.

Haslers purchases to add toughness to our weak roster when he first came on board combined with his own discipline is still evident today in the senior playing group that bought into that approach.

I've been very impressed with the attacking elements Toovey has encouraged along with bringing in Johns to give our attack a more clinical, creative, rounded more mature edge---which in my opinion was lacking under Hasler no matter what the stats suggested.

I also like how Toovey has encouraged a more uptempo straight style of play around the ruck in the go forward areas---a more light weight mobile forward pack that can keep coming at you(very Melbourne like in that respect) but I still think we lack size and punch.(gone a little too far the other way)

Matai to me can see we are lacking in the go forward areas and his leadership in wanting to get us moving forward has seen him at times lead the way.

Foran was quoted as saying that Matai took it upon himself to get Manly on the front foot a few weeks ago to me suggesting Matai can see where we are lacking at times and trying to do something about it.

The reason why Manly want to so desperately keep Matai and Watmough is due to the fact they still retain a sharp explosive element to their game that is in keeping with the new era and plan to move forward..

I've got no issues with Gifty coming back through reserve grade. Easier to manage his minutes in the lower grades but ultimately it's a decision The coaching staff will make with the view of what's best for him to be playing his best when we need him most.

With Brett Stewart, Jamie Lyon and Keiran Foran all having been sidelined by injury at various times during the season, Manly are yet to field their strongest line-up this season but hope to finally be able to do so within the next month when Glenn Stewart returns.

Stewart, who suffered the injury in April, was due to return last month but has had a minor setback that will keep him out of action for several more weeks.

However, Sea Eagles officials insist that rumours the South Sydney-bound back-rower may have played his last match for the club are unfounded and expect him to be back before the finals in five weeks.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/glenn-stewart-anthony-watmough-waiting-in-the-wings-to-help-sea-eagles-soar-into-finals-20140803-zzz82.html

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6